What's new

PTA (Pakistan Telecomunication Authority) wants to ban "Jesus Christ"

simonyaqoob

New Recruit

Reaction score
Before reading the above article, I want to ask each and everyone of you a question. Do Christians really have equal rights in Pakistan? I asked that question before in a separate thread and at that time my answer was NO. This time.........my answer is still NO

THERE has been much talk about PTA’s intention to block text messages containing ‘obscene’ words. More than 1,600 words have apparently been declared obscene, indecent, vulgar and offensive by the PTA, and telecom operators would be required to filter these words out of text messages.

Among the proposed list of ‘obscene and indecent words’ I was horrified to see the name of Jesus Christ. Why does Jesus’ name need to be banned? Is it an abusive, obscene or indecent word?

Being a Catholic I not only take strong offence to this action, however it also questions my knowledge of Islam: a religion which holds Jesus Christ (Hazrat Eesa) in very high esteem, is this not against Islam?

There has also been much talk about taking legal action: challenging the ban in court, saying it violates rights to free speech
and privacy.

My question is, does this act not also fall under the ambit of blasphemy? Is this not an offence under Section 295A which, according to the Pakistan Penal Code, states: “Deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs”.

Whether implemented or not, the mere fact of Jesus Christ’s name being grouped with obscene and indecent words, has outraged my religious feelings and has insulted my religious beliefs by terming the name of my Prophet ‘obscene and indecent’.

Is to be understood that Pakistan’s blasphemy laws termed as ‘divine laws’ by radical Islamic religious leaders are only to be used to victimise the vulnerable, downtrodden, marginalised, religious minorities in Pakistan?

The blasphemy laws have long been misused against religious minorities to settle personnel disputes, which have resulted in innocent victims being sentenced to death for crimes they could not even imagine committing.

Furthermore, anyone who dares to raise a voice against the misuse of these laws or who have tried to propose amendments to curb the misuse have ruthlessly been silenced. The assassinations of federal minister for minorities Shahbaz Bhatti and Punjab
governor Salmaan Taseer are two such recent examples.

We, the religious minorities, get discriminated against, and are victimised, our religious sentiments are hurt and nothing happens, no action is taken.

Although the PTA has not announced any date for the implementation of the ban, it must issue a public apology to Christian citizens of Pakistan for including Jesus Christ’s name in the list of offensive words and immediately have the name removed
from any such list.

I would also like to commend the action taken by Saleem Khurshid Khokhar, a Christian MPA of the Sindh Assembly and Senior Executive Member of The All Pakistan Minorities Alliance, on this issue.

MICHELLE CHAUDHRY
Lahore

If you ask me, i'm too surprised by the banning of the word Jesus Christ. But don't worry you can still have the name Hazrat Essa(PBUH).

BTW i saw news that this list was postponed?

The word taxi and suicide etc are also banned.... Out of so many words which should not be banned you found that....

If you ask me, i'm too surprised by the banning of the word Jesus Christ. But don't worry you can still have the name Hazrat Essa(PBUH).

BTW i saw news that this list was postponed?

Yes we can use many other words for "Jesus Christ" like Hazrat Essa, Jesu, Christ, Saviour, King of Kings....but they should not have included that name in the list of the "Most Abusive Words" that is blasphemy. How can they disrespect Jesus Christ like that? I mean Muslims also respect Jesus Christ like we do...then whats the point in committing such blasphemy?.And they did took that notice back but for a short time and they are revising the list and will make a shorter list and will ban those words. But the damage has been done....what about the people in PTA who committed such malicious act? shouldn't they be punished under Pakistan's Blasphemy Act?

The word taxi and suicide etc are also banned.... Out of so many words which should not be banned you found that....

Actually I really feel that all these words shouldn't be banned but its about religious feelings....PTA is hurting our religious feelings and the people who made that list should be punished under Pakistan's blasphemy law like others who were punished under that law before. Why are they discriminating with us? why cant they file a blasphemy case against the people who made that list? Muslims also believe in Jesus Christ (Hazrat Essa)....tell me.....is it respectful to include the name of that personality in the list of abusive words? that's simply blasphemy....and they must be punished according to the section 295-A

:sick:I think banning the word jesus christ is just as blasphemous as making pictures of the holy prophet
If they ban it everyone should go to the courts and protests

Jesus Christ should be banned by now- Do all the wrong-
After all he will be back to make things right- :D-

Back
Top Bottom