What's new

PSLV-C44 launch January 24, 2019 from 23:10 hrs (IST)

India puts 'lightest satellite' Kalamsat V2 into orbit
By Pallava BaglaDelhi
  • 43 minutes ago

_105290599_mediaitem105290598.jpg
Image copyrightEPA
Image captionThe rocket carrying the satellite will be launched from Sriharikota in southern India
India has launched what it says is the world's lightest satellite ever to be put into orbit.

Weighing only 1.26kg (2.6lb), the Kalamsat-V2 was made by students belonging to a space education firm.

It will help ham radio operators and "inspire schoolchildren to become the scientists and engineers of the future", India's space agency says.

The Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) launched the satellite from its Sriharikota space centre.

Isro chief K Sivan has claimed that "Kalamsat is the lightest satellite to be ever built and launched into orbit".

It is also the first to be built by a private Indian firm and launched by Isro.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi was among the first to congratulate the space agency and the students on the successful launch.

Skip Twitter post by @narendramodi
"); background-position: 16px 13px; border: 0px solid rgb(255, 255, 255); border-radius: 4px; font-weight: initial; margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; visibility: visible; display: block; position: static; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px;">

Narendra Modi

✔@narendramodi

https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/1088596416149110784

Heartiest congratulations to our space scientists for yet another successful launch of PSLV.

This launch has put in orbit Kalamsat, built by India's talented students.

12:36 AM - Jan 25, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

3,752 people are talking about this

End of Twitter post by @narendramodi

Several others have also been tweeting congratulatory messages about the launch.

Skip Twitter post by @writetake
"); background-position: 16px 13px; border: 0px solid rgb(255, 255, 255); border-radius: 4px; font-weight: initial; margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; visibility: visible; display: block; position: static; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px;">
View image on Twitter

Anantha Krishnan M@writetake

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/1088638841982873601

We were thinking if what was happening was real. The entire #Kalamsat-V2 team was over the Moon after sitting inside @isro Mission Control waiting to see our own satellite go into orbit.- CEO @SpaceKidzIndia @SrimathyKesan @OnmanoramaLive https://bit.ly/2B1tzKM #ISROMissions

3:25 AM - Jan 25, 2019

See Anantha Krishnan M's other Tweets

End of Twitter post by @writetake

Skip Twitter post by @Shantanu_subhra
View image on Twitter

Shantanu Biswas @Shantanu_subhra

https://twitter.com/Shantanu_subhra/status/1088631266889486336

That's Amazing : ISRO successfully launches world's lightest satellite 'PSLV' made by student's.
Cost of making : INR 12 Lakhs only.
Time it took : 6 days.#ISRO#ISROMissions

2:54 AM - Jan 25, 2019 · Alipur, India

See Shantanu Biswas 's other Tweets

End of Twitter post by @Shantanu_subhra

The celestial unit will serve as a communications satellite for ham radio transmission, a form of wireless communication used by amateurs for non-commercial activities.

An even lighter satellite, weighing 64 grams and built by the same group of students, was launched on a four-hour mission for a sub-orbital flight from a Nasa facility in the US in June 2017. Sub-orbital spaceflights technically enter space, but do not get into orbit.

_105324222_b63f91d3-3ccd-4dcd-accc-2c30181d3e08.jpg

Image captionKalamsat-V2 was made by students belonging to Space Kidz India,
Kalamsat-V2 was made by students belonging to Space Kidz India, a Chennai-based space education firm.

Srimathy Kesan, chief executive of Space Kidz India, told Indian broadcaster NDTV that the satellite took just six days to make, at a cost of 1.2m Indian rupees ($16,887).

So far nine satellites made by Indian students have found a place on space rockets.

In a first, the Indian space agency is also going to reuse a stage of the rocket that was used to launch the satellite.

Traditionally, rockets are expendable. Their various segments are discarded during an ascent. Fuel is also removed.

They end up as space debris - there are millions of discarded pieces of metal and other materials orbiting the Earth, ranging from defunct satellites to old rocket segments to accidentally dropped astronaut tools. Collisions can cause a great deal of damage, and generate even more pieces of debris.

_105290591_kalamsatv2pix3.jpg

Image captionWeighing only 1.26kg (2.6lb), the Kalamsat-V2 has been made by students belonging to a space education firm
The satellite was launched by Isro's reliable Indian Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) - a four-stage rocket that on this launch weighs about 260 tonnes.

Its first three segments usually drop back to Earth; its fourth and final stage uses liquid propellants, and can be stopped and restarted several times to get a spacecraft into just the right orbit.

The fourth stage can take the the satellite to a height of 277km (172 miles) above earth.

But Isro gave new capability to the last stage so that it can remain active in space for up to a year.

"Why waste such a valuable resource? We decided to convert [the fourth stage] into an experimental orbital platform to conduct small experiments in space," said Mr Sivan. The PSLV rocket costs upwards of $28m (£21m).

The experimental orbital platform will help researchers carry out experiments in a near zero-gravity environment.

Another satellite - the 740kg Microsat-R - was also taken into orbit by the PSLV. It will be used by India's military to take high-resolution photos of Earth.

Innovative move
In this mission, the last stage of the rocket will be "moved to a higher circular orbit" from where the Kalamsat-V2 is expected to beam down its signals.

"This is the first time Isro is conducting such an experiment to reclaim a dead rocket stage and to keep it alive," Mr Sivan said.

In this new approach, researchers can simply bring in their payloads or experiments which will then be plugged into the equipment bay especially made in the spent rocket.

Isro is the not the first space agency to try this "waste to wealth innovation".

Jean Yves-LeGall, president of the Centre National d'Etudes Spatiales (CNES), the French space agency, says they have used it "but did not find it a cost effective way to conduct experiments in space".

Pallava Bagla is co-author of Reaching for the Stars: India's Journey for Mars and Beyond.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-46956595

From Scout to SLV and Agni-1.You had to accept it that without aid from USA's Scout model,Germany providing wind tunnels to test your minor modifications in design of Scout,France providing liquid fuel engine technology and Russia's SA-2 missile reference you couldn't have come this far.
yeah so sad.
i wonder y didnt u guys work it out since u began launches way before us (a fact). u fizzled afterwards.

yeah so sad.
i wonder y didnt u guys work it out since u began launches way before us (a fact). u fizzled afterwards.
actually we didn't because we expertise in missile technology e.g: tactical nukes,MIRV where you lack and as for space race than we would catch up with you pretty sooner because our current leader isn't modi's yaar like previous one.

actually we didn't because we expertise in missile technology e.g: tactical nukes,MIRV where you lack and as for space race than we would catch up with you pretty sooner because our current leader isn't modi's yaar like previous one.
Space launch tech and missile tech, complement each other, any nation having missile tech will surely have space tech .
USA, RUSSIA, FRANCE, ENGLAND,CHINA,INDIA,ISRAEL.
N KOREA doesn't have proper space tech so they don't have proper missiles, the missiles they have is chinese rip off.
Same is case with pakistan.
Another reason pakistan doesn't have proper space program is due to its priority.
Pak economy is heavily influenced by army, no matter who is in power army takes the lion's share.
That leaves very little for rest. Forget space program ,pak education system is getting so less funding that it's literacy rate declined by 2 % instead of increasing, only nation with where literacy declined.
Another reason is culture, pak doesn't have proper scientific culture, they believe that one person will come and change everything . That is not the case.
Rit now they believe that one person imran khan will change, not gonna happen no matter how honest he is.
Earlier they believed in water car engineer thinking he will turn pak in to super rich nation, didn't happen. Look at A Q khan interview he claims that he alone established nuclear program as well as missile program single handedly. The idea of one person doing everything doesn't work.
Another problem in pakistan is religion getting involved in education.
I agree religion should be a subject but don't insert relegion in every subject specially science.because of this there are phd papers in pak where they gave theory ant how to harness power from JINN for electricity. Till you have this kind of culture no scientific achievement can be made. Forget space tell me any field where pak scientist made any success. In military they made success cause it's just a paint job , china gives pak all military hardware for its own benefit. Had pak been good in sc n tech they would have excelled in all scientific field. Tell me one country except pakistan who is good only in military related sc n tech and all other scientific area are in dark. India is doing good in military, pharma,medical,IT,space,automobile,almost every sector.
Due to relegious interference in society no pak admire abdul salam ,only pakistani getting nobel in science.

PS4 had raised up the orbit last night already. Any idea if signals recieved from V2 yet?
Hey, sup,
Nice to see ya again. Sorry, my job doesn't allow me to login very often.
As usual, demeaning and turning every thread into India vs Pakistan to get attention and convince people that there is some sort of competition.
we didn't because we expertise in missile technology
Last time I quoted MTCR annex to contradict you. You don't have expertise but just experience with a small array of ballistic and cruise missile.

It isn't much but makes sure that Pakistan isn't ignored.
e.g: tactical nukes,
I don't know. The bomb you tested was a linear implosion based device.
You tested carrier, not warheads inside it.
where you lack
We don't lack anywhere. We are only country out of P5 gang to make from HWR to LWR & FBR reactors or miniaturized reactors for ships. We're a part of ITER & specially entertained by NSG, have Tokamaks like STS & DEMO.

Tactical nukes are compatible & needed by Pakistan only to retaliate against big conventional attacks. India's NFU doesn't allow India to make them and large size of forces makes it not required.

As for MIRVs, we've been launching multiple SATs from single bus for decades.
and as for space race
Only arms/space/nuclear race exists in your mind.
than we would catch up with you pretty sooner because our current leader isn't modi's yaar like previous one.
Its Zia ul Haq who paused Pakistani space program. Study!

Hey, sup,
Nice to see ya again. Sorry, my job doesn't allow me to login very often.
As usual, demeaning and turning every thread into India vs Pakistan to get attention and convince people that there is some sort of competition.
likewise and of course there is a competition and I think that you forget this but we have given you a hard time in past and still giving you in present and this will continue in future too despite being in poor economic conditions,small military and other factors.
Last time I quoted MTCR annex to contradict you. You don't have expertise but just experience with a small array of ballistic and cruise missile.
Yah I'm still developing myself but the facts I mention don't have like 0 value so either you are expert or not but if you got solid points than you should agree with me and not be stubborn.
You tested carrier, not warheads inside it.
You haven't even done that thing and besides defence experts from all over the world don't have any sort of doubts except you.

Space launch tech and missile tech, complement each other, any nation having missile tech will surely have space tech .
USA, RUSSIA, FRANCE, ENGLAND,CHINA,INDIA,ISRAEL.
N KOREA doesn't have proper space tech so they don't have proper missiles, the missiles they have is chinese rip off.
Same is case with pakistan.
Another reason pakistan doesn't have proper space program is due to its priority.
Pak economy is heavily influenced by army, no matter who is in power army takes the lion's share.
That leaves very little for rest. Forget space program ,pak education system is getting so less funding that it's literacy rate declined by 2 % instead of increasing, only nation with where literacy declined.
Another reason is culture, pak doesn't have proper scientific culture, they believe that one person will come and change everything . That is not the case.
Rit now they believe that one person imran khan will change, not gonna happen no matter how honest he is.
Earlier they believed in water car engineer thinking he will turn pak in to super rich nation, didn't happen. Look at A Q khan interview he claims that he alone established nuclear program as well as missile program single handedly. The idea of one person doing everything doesn't work.
Another problem in pakistan is religion getting involved in education.
I agree religion should be a subject but don't insert relegion in every subject specially science.because of this there are phd papers in pak where they gave theory ant how to harness power from JINN for electricity. Till you have this kind of culture no scientific achievement can be made. Forget space tell me any field where pak scientist made any success. In military they made success cause it's just a paint job , china gives pak all military hardware for its own benefit. Had pak been good in sc n tech they would have excelled in all scientific field. Tell me one country except pakistan who is good only in military related sc n tech and all other scientific area are in dark. India is doing good in military, pharma,medical,IT,space,automobile,almost every sector.
Due to relegious interference in society no pak admire abdul salam ,only pakistani getting nobel in science.
There is tecnical difficulty exist with pakistan when comes to rocketlaunch from pak soil. They dont have a sea shore on its eastern side. Generally all rocket launch happened towards eastern side for 1) make use earth rotational velocity 2) as a saftey practice ,In a scenario of launch abort in midway or missfire chances of debry falling inside populated land mass can be avoided if it launched towards ocean.
Point number 2 isnt applicable to pakis, theirs system never failes, they produce only fail proof items.

Last edited:
There is tecnical difficulty exist with pakistan when comes to rocketlaunch from pak soil. They dont have a sea shore on its eastern side. Generally all rocket launch happened towards eastern side for 1) make use earth rotational velocity 2) as a saftey practice ,In a scenario of launch abort in midway or missfire chances of debry falling inside populated land mass can be avoided if it launched towards ocean.
Point number 2 isnt applicable to pakis, theirs system never failes, they produce only fail proof items.
Yea true we all have heard nasa failed launch , russia. Esa, japan china india but pakistan never he hehehe.
May be should try to launch satellite for Pluto let's c if it succeed? With the track record I think it ll be 100%successful.

Yea true we all have heard nasa failed launch , russia. Esa, japan china india but pakistan never he hehehe.
May be should try to launch satellite for Pluto let's c if it succeed? With the track record I think it ll be 100%successful.
Jokes apart, Pakistani geographical position doesn't favour economical rocket launch. Same like israel.

Jokes apart, Pakistani geographical position doesn't favour economical rocket launch. Same like israel.
Yes that's the reason france/ europe ESA has to launch from french guyana.
Eastern coast closer to equator is best place to launch satellites.

likewise and of course there is a competition and I think that you forget this but we have given you a hard time in past and still giving you in present and this will continue in future too despite being in poor economic conditions,small military and other factors.
That's called hostility, not competition. If there was even an arms race, Pakistan would have been matching Indian Armed Forces making large navies & air battle groups, not ensuring just its defence.

And the sentiment of competing comes only from one side. Your comments on this thread are just a clear reflection of that.
Yah I'm still developing myself but the facts I mention don't have like 0 value so either you are expert or not but if you got solid points than you should agree with me and not be stubborn.
How'd you assign the attribute to any analysis or opinion demeaning their value to "zero"? Obviously, the ones you're comfortable with.
I actually found a more efficient of quantifying 94 missile technologies to compare with quoting MTCR.

Even in subjective mode, my statement is plain incontradictable because Pakistan doesn't make anything more than an array of few ballistic and cruise missiles unlike to P5 countries, India and Iran who have forayed into almost everything.
You haven't even done that thing and besides defence experts from all over the world don't have any sort of doubts except you.
Before I quote a few, I'd like you to contradict me. India has demonstrated multiple fairing bodies on a single bus 2-3 decades ago. Computer miniaturization further has left no building block incomplete which can't help to make an MIRV missile that even successful in first attempt. The political will here is same as that of hiding Agni 6.
For any country capable of launching extraterrestrial probe to Moon/Mars, launching a 16,000kms range ballistic missile isn't a challenge, for any country launching multiple satellites at once, MIRVs aren't a challenge and for any country conducting exo atmospheric interception of ballistic missiles, ASAT isn't a challenge.
It's accepted every defense expert.

That's called hostility, not competition. If there was even an arms race, Pakistan would have been matching Indian Armed Forces making large navies & air battle groups, not ensuring just its defence.

And the sentiment of competing comes only from one side. Your comments on this thread are just a clear reflection of that.
hostility is from your country my friend.When we despite being a smaller country invite you for peace talks your foreign minister refuses to come forward..In UN when countries of south-asia were having a meeting and Pakistan's foreign minister came your foreign minister ran away.When we invite your foreign minister once again at Kartarpur corridor opening ceremony we once again faced hostile behavior from your side but get one thing clear that this isn't enough to win against us and on the other hand our status is raised that we want peace while your leaders run away and don't want peace.It was your leader who barked about isolating our country not us.
We are ensuring just our defence and despite being able to built even longer range missiles we have kept our policy limited to one and only primary/secondary enemy.Our missiles only cover india while you create further missiles just for shits and giggles to maintain your so-called pride in the world when they can be used to built toilets in your toilet-lacking country.
Before I quote a few, I'd like you to contradict me. India has demonstrated multiple fairing bodies on a single bus 2-3 decades ago. Computer miniaturization further has left no building block incomplete which can't help to make an MIRV missile that even successful in first attempt. The political will here is same as that of hiding Agni 6.
you have been contradicted not once but dozens of times but it seems that due to my weak meaning words so kindly put forward your doubts in front of any senior member and he will satisfy you till the end.
For any country capable of launching extraterrestrial probe to Moon/Mars, launching a 16,000kms range ballistic missile isn't a challenge, for any country launching multiple satellites at once, MIRVs aren't a challenge and for any country conducting exo atmospheric interception of ballistic missiles, ASAT isn't a challenge.
It's accepted every defense expert.
Your country is all talking and no action and if nothing is hard for you than why don't you just built it and demonstrate it and a country which has best missile building technology will also have no problem in launching SLVs but we lack funds.

hostility is from your country my friend.When we despite being a smaller country invite you for peace talks your foreign minister refuses to come forward..In UN when countries of south-asia were having a meeting and Pakistan's foreign minister came your foreign minister ran away.When we invite your foreign minister once again at Kartarpur corridor opening ceremony we once again faced hostile behavior from your side but get one thing clear that this isn't enough to win against us and on the other hand our status is raised that we want peace while your leaders run away and don't want peace.It was your leader who barked about isolating our country not us.
What peace?
Shimla Agreement clearly stated that Kashmir was now bilateral issue between India & Pakistan only and no third party had to be involved. Still, who rakes up the issue on every platform, from annual to environmental? Who started conflict in Kargil? Attack on Indian Parliament or 26/11? Who created Taliban?

India has been backstabbed just so many times that it's cautiousness to deal with Pakistan is totally justified.
We are ensuring just our defence and despite being able to built even longer range missiles we have kept our policy limited to one and only primary/secondary enemy.Our missiles only cover india while you create further missiles just for shits and giggles to maintain your so-called pride in the world
Means you finally stopped the comparing drama.
when they can be used to built toilets in your toilet-lacking country.
As of January 2019, population without excess to basic sanitation facilities in India was 1.4% compared to 12% of Pakistan. Pakistan needs more toilets than India.

India invests far bigger amount of budget on sanitation, healthcare, education & R&D and far lower on defence. Our total budget is large because our economy large and our economy is large because our population is large and steady but income keeps growing.

Another point, Pakistan and India don't even have same method of estimations. Pakistan uses surveys only and hasn't been able to get count of its complete population or related statistics for last 3 decades. India has had complete census of every decade. So, comparison isn't fine.
you have been contradicted not once but dozens of times
Not even once.
but it seems that due to my weak meaning words so kindly put forward your doubts in front of any senior member and he will satisfy you till the end.
They aren't often to open & spoil a thread where they should not be definitely. They often have a topic and stay on that instead of bringing isolation, peace talks and toilets in every discussion.
Your country is all talking and no action and if nothing is hard for you than why don't you just built it and demonstrate it
This thread is and a big series of AAMs, SAMs and ASMs slashes the weight of "all talk no action" statement.
A global range ICBM/ASAT is likely to attract sanctions, at a point when India has no hostilities with west.
and a country which has best missile building technology will also have no problem in launching SLVs but we lack funds.
Making a small orbital launch vehicle doesn't need that much funds and Indians were having even more pathetic lives in 1969. It'll depend upon if tech is your own or sourced from overseas.

All of countries with actual space programs and ballistic missiles first made orbital launch vehicles and then removed their upper stages to use them as ballistic missiles. The same is not seen with countries who got the tech from others as they haven't turned BMs into rockets.

Moreover, Agni 5 can put only 50kg in LEO. So, Shaheen would be falling very short of job now.

Back
Top Bottom