Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Protests break out in India over Quaid-e-Azam's portrait

Listen

312178_3956919_updates.jpg

Police used tear gas and resorted to baton charge to disperse students of the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) who were marching to register a police complaint against Hindu groups that had barged into campus to protest the presence of a portrait of Pakistan’s founding leader Quid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, local media reported on Wednesday.

The students then staged a sit-in against the treatment meted out to them by police, Hindustan Times reported.

312178_6925457_updates.jpg

Founder of Pakistan Muhammad Ali Jinnah-File photo

The paper reported that the The Hindu groups allegedly shouted slogans against the Quaid-e-Azam and asked the university to remove the portrait at the Students’ Union Hall in 48 hours.

The controversy began when Satish Gautam, a ruling party lawmaker, wrote to AMU vice chancellor Tariq Mansoor seeking a justification for Jinnah’s portrait, which has been hanging at the university since 1938.

Mashkoor Ahmad Usmani, a student leader, said the portrait would not be removed saying it came up as part of a protocol that the AMU students’ union accorded to all great leaders of the then undivided India who had visited the campus.
https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/312178-protests-break-out-in-india-over-quaid-e-azams-portrait

Students protest over missing Quaid-e-Azam portrait at Aligarh University

193842_8264698_updates.jpg

Police disperse students of the Aligarh Muslim University after protests broke out over a portrait of Pakistan founder Mohammad Ali Jinnah, in Aligarh on Wednesday. Photo: Hindustan Times

UTTAR PRADESH: Tensions surrounding the missing portrait of Quaid-e-Azam have escalated with students of Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) protesting outside a police station over the missing portrait.

Yesterday, the portrait had gone missing just two days after the university received threats by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) lawmaker Satish Gautam.

The students of AMU took to the streets demanding why the portrait had gone missing.

Earlier it was reported that opposition groups had broken into the university, ensuing clashes, and injuring students, according to a report in Financial Express.

Quaid-e-Azam's portrait at Aligarh Muslim University goes missing

Standing outside a police station, the students chanted slogans against the university management and Gautam who had written to the university asking for the removal of Jinnah’s portrait.

The police had resorted to using tear gas on the students.

Pakistani analyst Rasul Bakhsh Rais weighed in on the matter saying the recent incident at AMU should open eyes of those who claim that Muslims have rights in India.

Indian journalist Kuldip Nayar also added the removal of Jinnah's picture was not correct.

In a letter addressed to the AMU vice-chancellor Tariq Mansoor earlier this week, BJP MP Gautam had said, "It is fine if Jinnah has been revered in Pakistan after Partition. But his portrait should not be put up here in India.”

He had added instead of putting Jinnah's portrait, the university should celebrate the contributions of Raja Mahendra Pratap and Sir Syed Ahmed Khan who played a crucial role in establishing the university.

I think because the ruling elite wants to make the country a true Hindustan (Land of Hindus), and they want to systematically remove all traces of Muslims from territories with-in their control.

That's not possible. Frankly that's not the case. Its just the appeasement politics for the upcoming 2019 elections. These will die down as fast as it is there. In India these things happen every now and then. you'll find everything calm as ever after 2019 elections.

That's not possible. Frankly that's not the case. Its just the appeasement politics for the upcoming 2019 elections. These will die down as fast as it is there. In India these things happen every now and then. you'll find everything calm as ever after 2019 elections.

An excuse for a increasingly hindutva society

Well i hope so, but frankly i doubt it unless BJP is replaced.

Quaid portrait is just an excuse

The real reason is to attack everything Muslim including Muslim institutions like AMU

An excuse for a increasingly hindutva society

That's your perception. I might try as hard as I can but since you've already made up mind sitting far away from here, I wont be able to convince you. I am as confident about my society not being based on religion (**** social media), as Pakistan according to you not being based on religious. Hope this explains that why its always worse on the other side. Rest you can agree to disagree.

Quaid portrait is just an excuse

The real reason is to attack everything Muslim including Muslim institutions like AMU

Correct. AMU refused entry to the President of India. This is a reaction to that act. The administration of AMU is made up of idiots.

AMU Students' Union to President Ram Nath Kovind

Apologise for 2010 Statement Before Attending Convocation: AMU Students' Union to President Ram Nath Kovind

Kovind, a BJP spokesperson at the time, had said that the reservation for socially and economically backward religious and linguistic minorities was not possible as it would be ‘unconstitutional’ to include Muslims and Christians in Scheduled Caste category.

https://www.news18.com/news/politic...ion-to-president-ram-nath-kovind-1676063.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom