Protective Gear for Soldiers

Hindustani78

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Ministry of Defence31-July, 2015 14:45 IST
Protective Gear for Soldiers
The Government is in the process of signing an agreement titled Next Generation Protection Ensemble (NGPE) with the United States of America. The objective of the agreement is to test analyse and compare Chemical Biological (CB) Protection Technologies to facilitate development of requirements for a wearable protective ensemble capability with the view towards cooperatively developing mutually identified technologies subject to a separate agreement.

This agreement has good potential for mutual benefit and to promote and accelerate technology exchange. It may lead to a separate agreement for cooperatively developing mutually identified technologies.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar in a written reply to Shri E Ahamed in Lok Sabha today.

'India, US in process of signing pact for next-gen soldier wear' | Zee News

New Delhi: The government today said it is in the process of signing an agreement with the US to collaborate on the next-generation lightweight, protective clothing for soldiers.

The project, titled Next Generation Protection Ensemble (NGPE), is part of one of the four projects that were identified for joint development during President Barack Obama's visit to the country earlier this year.

"The objective of the agreement is to test analyse and compare Chemical Biological (CB) Protection Technologies to facilitate development of requirements for a wearable protective ensemble capability with the view towards cooperatively developing mutually identified technologies subject to a separate agreement," Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said in a written reply to Lok Sabha.

He said this agreement has good potential for mutual benefit and to promote and accelerate technology exchange.

It may lead to a separate agreement for cooperatively developing mutually identified technologies, Parrikar said.

Uniform Integrated Protection Ensemble - Increment 2 (UIPE I2), was announced as one of the four pathfinders under the Defence Trade and Technology Initiative (DTTI), which seeks to co-develop military equipment.

PTI

Damn its going to be epic for IA and IAF

320px-Army.mil-2006-10-04-091542.jpg
320px-AW_right.jpg

I hope it materialises ASAP. Will revolutionise our Infantry to the next level.

I hope it materialises ASAP. Will revolutionise our Infantry to the next level.

What happened to F-INSAS?!?!?!?!

Indian Army to Break up Future Soldier Program into Two Parts
Source : Pinaki Bhattacharya ~ Dated : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 @ 08:50 AM
Views : 4376 A- A A+
The Indian Army has decided to junk the Future Infantry Soldier As a System (F-INSAS) program in favor of two separate projects.

The new program will have two components: one arming the modern infantry soldier with the best available assault rifle, carbines and personal equipment such as the helmet and bulletproof vests and the second component is the Battlefield Management Systems (BMS).

Observers say that the bifurcation has been done on account of the budgetary convenience.

In the BMS category goes all the communication and optical equipment of a modern soldier which includes palm-top communication equipment and the helmet mounted cameras. The assault weapon field trials are going on: there are four kinds, Baretta (Italy), Colt (USA), Bren (Czech) and Tavor (Israel). The last has already been chosen for Indian Special Forces.

Vice Chief of Army staff, Lt General Philip Campose, told our correspondentat the end of the media interaction, “There is no F-INSAS program any more”.

He detailed how the army adopted the program in a way that keeps the infantry soldier less burdened by technology, and more agile to carry out his tasks.

Well,i my opinion,they should negotiate for the Dragon's Skin....................that's one sleek piece of armor.

Indian Army to Break up Future Soldier Program into Two Parts
Source : Pinaki Bhattacharya ~ Dated : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 @ 08:50 AM
Views : 4376 A- A A+
The Indian Army has decided to junk the Future Infantry Soldier As a System (F-INSAS) program in favor of two separate projects.

The new program will have two components: one arming the modern infantry soldier with the best available assault rifle, carbines and personal equipment such as the helmet and bulletproof vests and the second component is the Battlefield Management Systems (BMS).

Observers say that the bifurcation has been done on account of the budgetary convenience.

In the BMS category goes all the communication and optical equipment of a modern soldier which includes palm-top communication equipment and the helmet mounted cameras. The assault weapon field trials are going on: there are four kinds, Baretta (Italy), Colt (USA), Bren (Czech) and Tavor (Israel). The last has already been chosen for Indian Special Forces.

Vice Chief of Army staff, Lt General Philip Campose, told our correspondentat the end of the media interaction, “There is no F-INSAS program any more”.

He detailed how the army adopted the program in a way that keeps the infantry soldier less burdened by technology, and more agile to carry out his tasks.

Kinda stupid how we don't go indigenous.

I will only be satisfied once our men will stop running around in gear which is comparable to WW2 paratroopers -_-

All the best to this deal :tup:

The Infantry have not received any new gear that I can think of since the Kargil War. They require the following:

MCIWS
A new GPMG (FN mag 50 is too heavy for most soldiers, maybe replace it with the Negev)
New sniper rifles
New grenades

New uniforms

new helmets

New vests with a customization pouch system

New boots

NVGs

Multi tool

New knives

etc.

For 350 battalions the cost will be at least 5 billion USD

Last edited:
The Infantry have not received any new gear that I can think of since the Kargil War. They require the following:

MCIWS
A new GPMG (FN mag 50 is too heavy for most soldiers, maybe replace it with the Negev)
New sniper rifles
New grenades

New uniforms

new helmets

New vests with a customization pouch system

New boots

NVGs

Multi tool

New knives

etc.

For 350 battalions the cost will be at least 5 billion USD

Agree with most ppoints except the GPMG one.The FN MAG is a very reliable and accurate weapon,that's used by the armies world wide,including that of the USA,so I see no reason to replace it just yet.......what should be done is to make use of more polimer parts instead of steel ones,for manufacturing its outer body.The rest of the points are totally valid and have to agree with them.

No matter what kind of protective gear is slated for Indian armed forces, it is disappointing to see that many a times, our soldiers from same unit would be wearing different camos as they have to buy their uniforms from nominated shops around the country. Any pictures of the Kargil theater of war or Kashmir insurgency pictures attests to this difference of camo uniforms per platoon.

Ministry of Defence
07-August, 2015 13:53 IST
Special Uniform for Defence Personnel

Defence Materials and Stores Research & Development Establishment (DMSRDE), a Kanpur based laboratory of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed special protective clothing for soldiers deployed in Extreme Cold Weather and Glacier Regions, where temperature goes up to – 400 C. Also, various textiles based items have been developed for use to improve safety and operational efficiency of the personnel deployed at borders. The special protective items developed for Nuclear, Biological & Chemical (NBC) clothing include Suits, Gloves, Boots, Haversack, Casualty Bag Full & Half, and Decontamination Suit, which provide protection for 24 hours, mainly from chemical warfare agents.

A Blast Protection Suit has been developed for mine clearing operation. It provides comfort, mobility and maximum protection against the blast of APNM-M14 mines from a distance of 30 cm. The Boot Anti-mine Equipment provides safety to defence personnel from explosion of landmine.Many of the protective items developed by DRDO have been inducted into Services and productionised through Ordnance Factories.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar in a written reply to Shri Gopal Shetty in LokSabha today.

Back
Top Bottom