What's new

Featured Project Azm: Pakistan's Ambitious Quest to Develop 5th Generation Military Technologies.

Pak in the 80's: No way a country like us can build nukes, we broke and got no tech.
The Army:
View attachment 584025

Ok, here's the thing with that statement, its not entirely wrong. If this project is managed correctly and A LOT of the holes in our aviation industry get filled in (the smart way), I think we will see a prototype in 15 years.
Thats was the Armys opinion. It was PAEC which said it could be done.

Its not fake, its been posted on the tail of one of PAF's C-130s.
Plus why do we always tend to be so pessimist? Its just a conceptual design. I was reading an article which says it wont be coming alive anywhere before 2030 more than a decade away. So lets all relax and cherish the fact that a small country with a very limited budget is actually trying to build a 5th generation fighter.

so they stole my photoshop design? That’s very lame.

Correction: This never happened. The whole nation wanted an atomic bomb and Pakistan got it. It was a national project, not an army project. KRL & PAEC were independent entities manned by civilians.

Please do not distort historical facts. Your mind-set may see things from a distorted perspective, but facts are facts.

Thats was the Armys opinion. It was PAEC which said it could be done.
The last CAS said that the momentum for Azm came from the engineers (some of whom worked on the Saab 2000 recovery effort). But this was a good 2 years before they went ahead with it, so it was something else that drove the PAF to give the idea its due. Otherwise, they might have really put the next 20 years of funding on an import, as it was the same CAS (ACM Sohail Aman) who took a fresh look at the Gripen, Typhoon and Su-35.

In hindsight, the start of Azm was likely the final nail in the coffin of an off the shelf jet. We don't have the wherewithal to sustain both, Azm will need at least $300-400 m a year of R&D funding to be taken seriously. That's the installments of an off the shelf purchase.

The last CAS said that the momentum for Azm came from the engineers (some of whom worked on the Saab 2000 recovery effort). But this was a good 2 years before they went ahead with it, so it was something else that drove the PAF to give the idea its due. Otherwise, they might have really put the next 20 years of funding on an import, as it was the same CAS (ACM Sohail Aman) who took a fresh look at the Gripen, Typhoon and Su-35.

In hindsight, the start of Azm was likely the final nail in the coffin of an off the shelf jet. We don't have the wherewithal to sustain both, Azm will need at least $300-400 m a year of R&D funding to be taken seriously. That's the installments of an off the shelf purchase.

If that is the case then PAF will have to keep upping the JF-17, which will cost $ as well. Guess we can expect to see JF-17NG or similar if PAF can't afford to spend $ on F-16V or Block 72+, J-10CE etc.

If that is the case then PAF will have to keep upping the JF-17, which will cost $ as well. Guess we can expect to see JF-17NG or similar if PAF can't afford to spend $ on F-16V or Block 72+, J-10CE etc.
Yup I don't think they'll put all their eggs in Azm, and they'll need a lower cost backbone fighter for a long time. Wouldn't surprise me if they re-open the JF-17 design, much like what Saab did for the Gripen E/F and what India is doing with the Tejas Mk2.

Yup I don't think they'll put all their eggs in Azm, and they'll need a lower cost backbone fighter for a long time. Wouldn't surprise me if they re-open the JF-17 design, much like what Saab did for the Gripen E/F and what India is doing with the Tejas Mk2.

Exactly. That would be the right thing to do. But may not happen until most of the design work on Azm is done & experienced engineers are available for redesign. Expect key technologies to trickle down for a bit larger & stealthier (silent) Block-IV. This may take 4 to 5 years perhaps?

You are correct, block 4 might be redesigned JF-17.

my Humble request to PAF kindly forget about project AZM & go for Joint venture whit China for J-31...

upload_2019-10-16_17-58-22.png

I think first we need to add 2 hard points in JF-17 then think we should think about its stealthy version..
This long delayed block 3 will decide how many decades we will required for making any future version

Back
Top Bottom