President Zardari under pressure after NRO ruling

waraich66

Reaction score
Country
Canada
President Zardari under pressure after NRO ruling

Thursday, 17 Dec, 2009
font-size small font-size largefont-sizeprint email share
In this picture taken on September 25, 2009, President Asif Ali Zardari speaks next to a portrait of his late wife, slain politician Benazir Bhutto and her slain father Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, during his address to the UN General Assembly at the United Nations headquarters in New York. — AFP
Pakistan
Accountability Court issues notice to Jahangir Badar
Accountability Court issues notice to Jahangir Badar

ISLAMABAD: President Asif Ali Zardari faced fresh calls to step down Thursday after the Supreme Court struck down an amnesty that had protected the increasingly unpopular leader and several of his political allies from corruption charges.

The decision late Wednesday sharpened political tensions in Pakistan just as the United States and its other Western allies want it to unite and fight against al-Qaeda and Taliban militants based along the Afghan border.

While it is generally agreed that President Zardari has immunity from prosecution as president, his opponents now plan to challenge his eligibility to hold the post. Zardari and his aides say any corruption charges against him are politically motivated and that he will not step down.

Critics said he was morally obligated to resign, at least while the court heard any challenges to his rule.

‘It will be in his own interest, it will be in the interest of his party and it will be good for the system,’ said Khawaja Asif, a senior leader from the opposition Pakistan Muslim League - Nawaz party.

The amnesty was part of a US-brokered deal with former military ruler Pervez Musharraf that allowed former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto to return home from self-exile and participate in politics without facing charges her party says were politically motivated. Zardari, Bhutto's husband, took control of the party after Bhutto was assassinated in 2007.

The amnesty, known as the National Reconciliation Ordinance, either stopped corruption investigations or probes into other alleged misdeeds or wiped away convictions in cases involving up to 8,000 ministers, bureaucrats or politicians from across the spectrum.

Civil rights activists have long argued that the amnesty unfairly protected the wealthy elite.

Zardari has long been haunted by corruption allegations dating back to governments led in the 1990s by his late wife. He spent several years in prison under previous administrations. The Supreme Court this week heard allegations he misappropriated as much as $1.5 billion.

The court on Wednesday singled out an alleged multimillion dollar money laundering case involving Zardari and his late wife that had been heard in a Swiss court until the attorney general under Musharraf withdrew proceedings against them last year as a result of the amnesty.

The court said this was illegal and ordered the government to ask Swiss authorities to reopen the case.

Pakistani newspapers welcomed the decision as a victory for justice. Many editorialists said it boded ill for Zardari.

‘Zardari: an accused president,’ read the headline over a front-page story by a well-known critic in The News.

Pakistani political analyst Rasul Bakhsh Rais doubted that Cabinet ministers and other politicians affected by the ruling would simply step down. He noted that investigative and prosecuting entities in Pakistan are not really independent of the government.

‘They will play all these tricks and they will stay in power,’ Rais said, predicting many messy court battles ahead.

Some analysts said Zardari may be able to take some of the sting out of his opponents’ attacks — and ultimately survive in office — if he gives up many of the powers he inherited from Musharraf.

A few weeks ago, amid mounting pressure, Zardari relinquished command of the country's nuclear arsenal and said he would give up more powers soon. But that's a promise he's made before, including in a major speech to lawmakers just days after being sworn in.

I think Zardari taken few wrong steps , he should not throw out Musharaf and should keep himself out from any position and play only politics same as Altaf Hussian.

bakre ke maan kab tak khair manai gee lolz

I think Zardari taken few wrong steps , he should not throw out Musharaf and should keep himself out from any position and play only politics same as Altaf Hussian.

bakre ke maan kab tak khair manai gee lolz
If Mushi would have been here then you may expect one more 9 March event from Mushi .but forget it .its party time every day democrazy is facing embarassment . enjoy it:victory::victory::victory:

Its obvious for a person to go nuts who has done so many wrong doings.

Anyways, more time he stays as president, more he is going to get in trouble.

I doubt this will change even if he quits the Presidency... unless of course he decides to move out of Pakistan

I am sure, he does not have the calibure to be where he is today.

Its obvious for a person to go nuts who has done so many wrong doings.

Anyways, more time he stays as president, more he is going to get in trouble.

Dont behave like pathetic Punjabi, PPP is still the most famous party in pakistan, and will remain INSHALLAH, NRO was offered by Musharaf to PPP, just because musharaf was aware that benazir can handle the countries currenct situation, and on the behalf of that deal of benazir, Mr Paper loin (N.sharif) came and participated in election. so i think without NRO , we will be still ruling by a dictator. i was in Karachi when benazier was assassinated, and you can never Imagen how much they loved her & hates punjabies, because they think there 3 PM has been marted by Punjabies (Liaqat ali khan, Bhuto, Benazir) i am Punjabi too but being a Pakistani first i appriciate zardari's word (Pakistan khapy, Pakistan Khapy. Pakistan will be remain inshallah) when he was addressing in front of Distressing crowd, and after this address sindh remains a part of Pakistan.:victory:

Dont behave like pathetic Punjabi, PPP is still the most famous party in pakistan, and will remain INSHALLAH, NRO was offered by Musharaf to PPP, just because musharaf was aware that benazir can handle the countries currenct situation, and on the behalf of that deal of benazir, Mr Paper loin (N.sharif) came and participated in election. so i think without NRO , we will be still ruling by a dictator. i was in Karachi when benazier was assassinated, and you can never Imagen how much they loved her & hates punjabies, because they think there 3 PM has been marted by Punjabies (Liaqat ali khan, Bhuto, Benazir) i am Punjabi too but being a Pakistani first i appriciate zardari's word (Pakistan khapy, Pakistan Khapy. Pakistan will be remain inshallah) when he was addressing in front of Distressing crowd, and after this address sindh remains a part of Pakistan.:victory:

Hey your future is in trouble..
review your post..
friendly advice...

:pakistan:

BB and Liaqat Ali Khan assassinated in Punjab it does nor mean they were killed by any Punjabi.

PPP is today in power due to punjabis votes , but for your kind information Muslim league still have 65% of total votes but divided between MLN and MLQ .

Punjab is land of five rivers and the heart of punjabis is also clean like river water for all Pakistanis belong to any province.

Better clean you heart from hatred and become true punjabi and Pakistani like me:D

ForGod sake NRO was a gateway for Crimnals wither they were from PPP or some other partyies.......there are 8000 people benefitted with NRO...among them almost 280-290 were politicans.....and most of them were PPP .......There is no doubt abt that majority of the people are involved in heavy crimes.

Come on man they are drinking ur (nation) blood, either they are from PPP or PML (N/Q) or any party....:hitwall:

PPP is no more ....its zardari party now....I was also great lover of PPP...but now I hate the PPP leaders and their policies.....they even dont know the vision of Zulfiqar Ali bhutto.....:hitwall:

They are spreading hate among proviences....
Y that Zardari party or u call it PPP gave way to Mushraf.....who killed and kidnapped hundreds of innocents of Sindha and Bloachistan...

Zardari knows only one card to play, make conflict between proviences....They always blame Punjab........but Punjab or punjabi were never be anti Sindhi. :hitwall: :hitwall:
When u will release this :hitwall: :hitwall:

Mushraf and his party (Q leaguue) was involved in murder of BIBI....
Now Y PPP gave way to them.....People voted them to make things batter but they are making every thing worse......they will never justify....

These all politicians should be bomber.....we need new young & educated people.

Asif Ali Zardari was ‘crippled by depression’

Asif Ali Zardari, the widower of Benazir Bhutto and leading contender to be President of Pakistan, was suffering from crippling psychiatric illnesses as recently as last year.

Mr Zardari, who chairs the Pakistan People’s Party jointly with his son Bilal, 19, experienced dementia, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder.

The illnesses, diagnosed by two New York psychiatrists, were detailed in court documents used by Mr Zardari to delay attempts by the Pakistani Government to sue him for corruption in the English High Court.

They were said to stem from the trauma of 11 years spent in Pakistani prisons fighting corruption charges, when he says he was tortured.

In March 2007 Dr Philip Saltiel wrote that the detention had left Mr Zardari with severe “emotional instability, memory loss and concentration problems”, according to documents seen by the Financial Times.

“I do not see any improvement in these issues for at least a year,” he wrote. Dr Ste-phen Reich said that Mr Zardari was unable to recall the birthdays of his wife and children, was persistently apprehensive and had thought about suicide.

Wajid Shamsul Hasan, the Pakistan High Commissioner to the UK and a long-time friend, said Mr Zardari had made a full recovery and sailed through recent medical tests.

Because of his memory problem he might lost charter of democracy, 17th emendment and the issue of 52B.

i think this man in not under pressure coz he have his government and his own supreme court :smokin:
this NRO is great drama with public :lol:
judiciary is not fair
if judiciary deal with fair base than why pm GALLANY says that Mr Rehman is one of them who arresting the criminals that how can it possible to arresting Rehman :hitwall:

i think this PPP playing with Pakistan :chilli:
he have no seance how we deal with ??????????????

i think he should resign now..everyone everywhere is insulting and making fun of him..such a great president we have!!!

Back
Top Bottom