What's new

Preparations on for super-sonic BrahMos testfiring

I dont get whats so impressive about brahmos..... unless its a hypersonic version
it has a very short range and can carry conventional warhead with payload upto 300 kg as compare to babur which has range 710 km (thrice as compared to brahmos), it can carry nuclear or conventional warheads with payload more than 300 kg.... It also has stealth features.....
the only thing babur lacks is the speed (mach .9)

It can carry Nuclear Warheads as well !!

3. Conventional payload-

As it is a joint venture, brahmos cannot have a nuclear warhead. (at least openly).
However, it was never intended as a nuke delivery system, for this purpose (with pakistan in mind) we have developed this...

300px-Shaurya_Missile.jpg

The Shaurya missile is a canister launched hypersonic surface-to-surface tactical missile developed by the Indian Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) for use by the Indian Armed Forces. It has a range of between 750 to 1900 km and is capable of carrying a payload of one-tonne conventional or nuclear warhead. It gives the potential to strike in the short-intermediate range against any adversary.

Sorry but this not a right logic cause by this logic non of joint venture able to carry nuclear warhead like fighter planes (MKI, JF17 ) and all other JVs

4.Stealth features
--- Here brahmos is at a disadvantage. Though it also claims some stealth features, it's IR signature would be huge, but given the short reaction time, there is little most air defence networks can do.

Platforms like type 45 or US navy aegis equipped ships may be able to counter it. But not with 100% surity. And they will treat it as a very very serious threat!

@ others, Any missile can carry Nukes. But I believe under MTCR it is restricted, similar to why range is being restricted. I'll do some reading and get back to you.:smitten:

Ahh. Here it is..

However, because the BrahMos appears capable of flying to a range equal to or exceeding 300 km with a lighter payload, it would likely be subject to the MTCR’s Category II requirements (specifically to Item 19 of the regime’s Technical Annex), which mandate that the exporter obtain end-use assurances from the recipient that the missile will not be used to deliver weapons of mass destruction (WMD).

BRAHMOS.COM

The BrahMos can carry a nuclear warhead, but is designed mainly to go after high value targets that require a large warhead and great accuracy. The BrahMos could take out enemy headquarters, or key weapons systems (especially those employing electronic or nuclear weapons.

GLOBALSECURITY.ORG

One of its special features is that this essentially anti-ship missile can be launched from ground, ship, submarine or air. Defence analysts underline that the eventual addition of this strategic missile is a logical follow-up of the goal set as per the country 's nuclear philosophy. Stated in plain terms, it is essential for the fulfilment of India's minimum nuclear deterrent profile as outlined in the draft nuclear doctrine prepared by the Vajpayee Government. Thus acquisition of this cruise missile which can be tipped with a nuclear warhead has obvious implications

Last edited:
Would India be considered importer or manufacturer?

Good point surabh, this is where it all gets murky.

If India is a manufacturer then there should be no reason for limiting range, does it? MTCR is a very tricky thing. Let me read a bit more and let us not jump to conclusions. Meanwhile, do we have a MTCR expert here?

Guys, please try to understand my point, I'm not saying Brahmos cannot carry nukes but it won't carry nukes. At least not openly.

Have a look at this

Established in April 1987, the voluntary Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) aims to limit the spread of ballistic missiles and other unmanned delivery systems that could be used for chemical, biological, and nuclear attacks. The regime urges its 34 members,1 which include most of the world's key missile manufacturers, to restrict their exports of missiles and related technologies capable of carrying a 500-kilogram payload at least 300 kilometers or delivering any type of weapon of mass destruction.

The annex ( for restricted items) is divided into two separate groupings of items, Category I and Category II. Category I includes complete missiles and rockets, major sub-systems, and production facilities. Specialized materials, technologies, propellants, and sub-components for missiles and rockets comprise Category II.

Now, the propulsion comes from Russia, won't it be a cat II item?

MTCR members are asked to obtain an assurance from the intended recipient that it will only use the export for the purpose claimed when requesting the deal. Members are also to secure a pledge from the intended recipient that it will not transfer the requested item or any replicas or derivatives to a third party without permission.

Now, if we put nukes on brahmos, won't Russia be pressurized to stop the co operation?

Originally, the MTCR was limited to stopping the proliferation of nuclear-capable missiles, which was defined as a missile able to travel at least 300 kilometers with a 500-kilogram payload. Five hundred kilograms was considered the minimum weight of a first generation nuclear warhead, while 300 kilometers was believed to be the minimum distance needed to carry out a strategic strike.

It's disheartening to note that even after hundreds of years of human 'civilization' the way to be peaceful is to have better or equal weapons than your neighbours. And appropriate muscle flexing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom