What's new

PNS Alamgir passing through Istanbul on her way to the Black Sea

It may look vintage but this ship could be quite capable with the right upgrade... The question is of it would be worth it for 1 ship. An 8 cell A43 or A50 would easily fit in front of the mk13 launcher amd the ship could be upgraded with a Aselsan Smart S-mk II. Equipped with Sea Ceptor and this would be the most capable vessel in PN by far (8 AShM with 278km range and 32 SAMs with 60km range and a 250km surface/air surveillance radar). But it isnt worth it if it is the only vessel of its type. If PN were to acquire the 3 remaining Adelaides (already equipped with 8 cell mk41 systems) and equipped all with Sea Ceptor and upgraded radars, then the vessels can serve for another 15-20yrs (probably could have all of it done for around 300-500M for 4 ships) . Again only if it goes for the Adelaides which are likely the only OHPs that could potentially be available to PN in next 5 yrs. These would surpass Tulwar in capabilities with respect to air defense. While being more than capable in antiship and surpassing it in ASW warfare.

If Sea ceptor is not available, i dont see why PN couldn't fit 2 boxes of dk10 on it as they did with ly60 and T21s.

PN is looking for FAC and Corvettes possible from Turkey or China, if Turkish way is chosen then Smart S-MK-2 radar, Sea Captor or Aster-15 or South African SAM may be procured with FACs. Corvettes could have similar or better sensor and SAM capability, so its possible to give similar package to Alamgir adding more fire power.

Just the Phalanx CIWS. And of course AN/SLQ-32(V)2 Electronic Warfare Suite and Mk36 SRBOC launchers

Hahaha. Of course, since main AAW missiles removed. Still potent in the areas of ASuW (Harpoon AShM) and ASW (AN/SQS-56 bow sonar plus possibly SQR-19 Towed Array. 2 × Mk 32 triple-tube 324 mm launchers for Mark 46 torpedoes. Up to 2 Harbin Z-9 ASW./ASuW helicopters with dipping sonars. Also carries AN/SLQ-25 Nixie towed anti-torpedo decoy). So, whether it is an easy kill depends on what you are/have.
How many harpoon is she currently carrying?

How many harpoon is she currently carrying?
2x4

CyrCZHOW8AAiu_9.jpg

http://turkey.liveuamap.com/en/2016/2-december-pakistan-navy-oliver-hazard-perry-class-frigate

@Penguin what is the range of the S. Korean K-SAAM? From what i have found it is a 40km quad packable missile. This could also be a strong option for PN when it comes to any Turkish new build frigates or upgrading the OHP. From what I know, Pakistan has decent relations with South Korea, and these could be leveraged into SAM purchase.

Not sure if the South Koreans would allow it on a Chinese built vessel or vis a versa, but its a possibility there too.

@Penguin what is the range of the S. Korean K-SAAM? From what i have found it is a 40km quad packable missile. This could also be a strong option for PN when it comes to any Turkish new build frigates or upgrading the OHP. From what I know, Pakistan has decent relations with South Korea, and these could be leveraged into SAM purchase.

Not sure if the South Koreans would allow it on a Chinese built vessel or vis a versa, but its a possibility there too.
AMCvejc.jpg

Launcher of 2.6x2.9x4.5m suggests an ESSM sized missile. In which case 40km is quite possible.

PN faces block obsolescence of its major surface units. The four F-22s alleviate that problem a bit. But obviously more new hulls are needed. Thern agsain, getting the PNS Alamgir cost just $65 million because it was a hot transfer navy to navy. That's pretty cheap by all accounts.
A hot transfer means the USN crew leaves and the PN crew takes the ship over, without any period of the ship spent 'mothballed'. The ship was refurbished before handover to PN. Refurbishment means maintenance, not modernization or downgradation.

A Phalanx may have been taken off board, if PN planned to use a similar piece of equipment already in its possession e.g. taken from a retired Type 21. That could constitute a cost-saving for PN. All OHPs had their Mk13 launcher clipped since 2003, much prior to any transfer. I don't think any other equipment was taken/added.

I would imagine that acquiring the soon to be retired 3 Adelaides would be in the same range of cost($65-70m/vessel). Put them and Alamghir through the GENESIS upgrade and get an 8 cell vls for Alamghir and that would constitute a huge upgrade for PN and would probably only cost ~$300-400M total for 4 G-class frigates. Alamghir can keep the harpoon boxes bus the Adelaides have their Mk13 arm and hence can use Harpoon already.

Only thing left would be to select a SAM (ideally CAMM, but if not then K-SAAM)

Back
Top Bottom