What's new

PM Narendra Modi takes first bite ,ends a 42year Old Ban !!

When rio tinto etc. entered other countries, they didn't automatically turn into paradise. Some of these are downright evil and need to be kept out at all costs. And Monsanto tops that list.
Quoting an example would be great and Monsanto;Seriously!!!Have some uniformity when you are commenting.

Is anyone here familiar with Coal India practices.Pre historic mining techniques and no care for environment but I think it would be fine with most of you because it's Coal India.

There were a few documentaries which highlighted exploitation of tribal people and how lose their environmental and safety standards were when it comes to mining.

It doesn't matter who mines it but the framework that allows them to mine is important.

Why are people so hopeless back home ? Have you guys stopped thinking critically about things or is that everyone is hooked to the precooked rhetoric served by 24hr news channels.

Last edited:
Quoting an example would be great and Monsanto;Seriously!!!Have some uniformity when you are commenting.

Is anyone here familiar with Coal India practices.Pre historic mining techniques and no care for environment but I think it would be fine with most of you because it's Coal India.

There were a few documentaries which highlighted exploitation of tribal people and how lose their environmental and safety standards were when it comes to mining.

It doesn't matter who mines it but the framework that allows them to mine is important.

There ain't too much difference between the kind of harm that a Monsanto does and what a Rio Tinto does. I'm saying having it Indian private isn't bad. We have companies with scale. We have half a control control over them.I don't support coal India monopoly that's just as bad as having Monsanto, they'll do with inefficiency what a RIo Tinto will do with efficiency.

There ain't too much difference between the kind of harm that a Monsanto does and what a Rio Tinto does. I'm saying having it Indian private isn't bad. We have companies with scale. We have half a control control over them.I don't support coal India monopoly that's just as bad as having Monsanto, they'll do with inefficiency what a RIo Tinto will do with efficiency.
What kind of harm do they do? Any examples ?It's not the scale that matters but the pockets.
Secondly,Have you ever used Monsanto seeds? or Have you ever worked for Rio Tinto ?

I have worked for a consultancy that was responsible for some xxxxx work at Rio Tinto's mining sites in Australia and Mongolia.

I you have time read the agreements and consents signed by Adani for mining in Galilee Basin in Queensland and for their projects in Indonesia or India.You will get the difference!
If you go by what Adani does in India and Indonesia they would have never got these consents to mine in Australia.

What kind of harm do they do? Any examples ?It's not the scale that matters but the pockets.
Secondly,Have you ever used Monsanto seeds? or Have you ever worked for Rio Tinto ?

I have worked for a consultancy that was responsible for some xxxxx work at Rio Tinto's mining sites in Australia and Mongolia.

I you have time read the agreements and consents signed by Adani for mining in Galilee Basin in Queensland and for their projects in Indonesia or India.You will get the difference!
If you go by what Adani does in India and Indonesia they would have never got these consents to mine in Australia.

I know from published reports and documentaries the kind of damage Monsanto has done, including their role in the farmer suicides in India (large proportion in areas where their products have been used. Rio Tinto too has those kinds of reputations- unethical and exploitative practices. In any case I don't understand your opposition to it being purely Indian private entities. They have scale and capability. And they will be at least somewhat under our control.

I know from published reports and documentaries the kind of damage Monsanto has done, including their role in the farmer suicides in India (large proportion in areas where their products have been used. Rio Tinto too has those kinds of reputations- unethical and exploitative practices. In any case I don't understand your opposition to it being purely Indian private entities. They have scale and capability. And they will be at least somewhat under our control.

Blame India's corporate laws and enforcement, not the foreign companies.

Blame India's corporate laws and enforcement, not the foreign companies.

Well that is going to be a problem going forward for some time. No great miracles are going to happen overnight. In a sector like mining which is difficult to regulate, you can mitigate the risks somewhat by limiting the players. Plus, the outside guys will bring lobbying pressure from outside, our maneuverability will be limited.

Well that is going to be a problem going forward for some time. No great miracles are going to happen overnight. In a sector like mining which is difficult to regulate, you can mitigate the risks somewhat by limiting the players. Plus, the outside guys will bring lobbying pressure from outside, our maneuverability will be limited.

Only danger I see is a repeat of Bhopal Gas kind of incident. If something of that magnitude happens, Indian agencies can always grab the Indian owner by collar and throw him into Tihar, while the white nations have a habit of protecting their people irrespective of their crimes. These foreign companies are outside our legal reach. We must have a clear policy on dealing with the fugitives (government approved assassination).

Only danger I see is a repeat of Bhopal Gas kind of incident. If something of that magnitude happens, Indian agencies can always grab the Indian owner by collar and throw him into Tihar, while the white nations have a habit of protecting their people irrespective of their crimes. These foreign companies are outside our legal reach. We must have a clear policy on dealing with the fugitives (government approved assassination).

Well Bhopal gas itself shows the pitfall right. No matter how much you criticize the govt. for letting the CEO escape, fact is we didn't have any legal framework at that time nor a structure to enforce it. If it was an Indian company, we could have prosecuted them anyway.

Well Bhopal gas itself shows the pitfall right. No matter how much you criticize the govt. for letting the CEO escape, fact is we didn't have any legal framework at that time nor a structure to enforce it. If it was an Indian company, we could have prosecuted them anyway.

That guy was given safe passage by no other than then CM of Madhya Pradesh. Our courts must grow a pair and declare global jurisdiction in cases which effect India's national interest, and when the victims are Indian citizens. Any fugitive from law must be put on a list of wanted and must either be brought into India or be assassinated after government's sanction.

Till then our people will keep getting exploited. We need immediate corporate reforms.

That guy was given safe passage by no other than then CM of Madhya Pradesh. Our courts must grow a pair and declare global jurisdiction in cases which effect India's national interest, and when the victims are Indian citizens. Any fugitive from law must be put on a list of wanted and must either be brought into India or be assassinated after government's sanction.

Till then our people will keep getting exploited. We need immediate corporate reforms.

Of course he was given safe passge. There is enough evidence to prove that we had not built up enough legal frame-works for prosecution under such circumstances. In my experience CEOs of multi-national corporations end up prosecuted only for crimes on their home soil. Enron goes to jail in US for bankruptcy but the BP CEO will not. That's how the world generally operates.

I know from published reports and documentaries the kind of damage Monsanto has done, including their role in the farmer suicides in India (large proportion in areas where their products have been used.

That's pretty much a direct take from the interested NGO's. There many thousands of farmers who have done very well with Monsanto.

Rio Tinto too has those kinds of reputations- unethical and exploitative practices.

Overstated, those charges will be made against any & all large companies.

That's pretty much a direct take from the interested NGO's. There many thousands of farmers who have done very well with Monsanto.

Overstated, those charges will be made against any & all large companies.

I don't take an unqualified view basis NGO reports alone (I know they can mislead to get funding). I've seen several BBC reports too. The following is an indie film. You may not want to be biased towards it, but the internal documentation evidence and several of their dumpings give clear indication of a rotten corporate culture:

Stop being so vague about you comments.Which issues and which Indian company.

I don't have issues with any Indian companies.Make it an even playing field and put in some proper framework which balance productivity and company profits.

Stop being so vague about you comments.Which issues and which Indian company.

I don't have issues with any Indian companies.Make it an even playing field and put in some proper framework which balance productivity and company profits.

I think Indian companies should be allowed not foreign. They have scale and ability. Plus this is a difficult sector to manage so 'known devils' are better than unknown ones.

I think Indian companies should be allowed not foreign. They have scale and ability. Plus this is a difficult sector to manage so 'known devils' are better than unknown ones.
What's this scale and ability thingy?

The imports will touch 200 million tonnes in a few years.Which Indian companies have the money to raise production by 200 to 300 million tonnes?

Back
Top Bottom