What's new

PM Modi wants to know the reason behind slow Internet speed in India

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Late last year, a report highlighted how the PMO needs to have better Internet connectivity and not an average of 34Mbps. Now, talking about the overall Internet speed in India, PM Modi himself has stepped in to know the reason for the slow speed, according to a report by The Hindustan Times.

Slow broadband speeds could prove to be a big hurdle in PM Modi’s Digital India dream. The delivery of broadband speeds in India has been really slow, and in most cases it’s just half of what is promised by operators. However, operators claim they’ve been offering more than the quality parameters prescribed by TRAI, says the report.

Some sources from the Communications Ministry have told the news site that in a recent meeting with secretaries of various ministries, Modi took stock of the situation. In fact, PM Modi is reportedly scheduled to meet telecom secretary Rakesh Garg to discuss the matter.

“Operators offer whatever they prescribe, it is market dynamic that anyone not offering it will fall aside in this business,” said Rajan Mathews, director-general, Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI). The COAI reprsenets all operators except Reliance Communications and Tata Teleservices.

The report also adds that Garg may ask for four weeks time to check all the reasons for slow broadband speeds and submit it to PMO. Though a report has been already submitted, the further analysis is required to know if lack of spectrum has been the cause of slow speed.

According to Akamai’s State of the Internet report for Q2 2014, India is ranked 115th in the world with an average internet speeds of almost 2Mbps. That is the lowest average internet speed in the Asia-Pacific region. In comparison, the South Korean average internet speeds hover around 24.6Mbps.

The average peak connection speeds in India is around 14Mbps and only a tiny 1.2 per cent of the total internet users across the country gets more than 10Mbps internet speeds.

The PMO working on speedy internet speeds is a step in the right direction. Back in August, the state-run telecom operator BSNL announced the ambitious Digital India campaign, which aims to ensure national optic fibre network (NOFN) providing Wi-fi hotspots at commercial places, mobile wallet services and delivering m-governance services. NOFN aims to provide high-speed broadband connectivity to 2.50 lakh gram panchayats in India by March 2017.

PM Modi wants to know the reason behind slow Internet speed in India - Tech2

India is a big country. big countries have a harder time getting the great speed of smaller more compact countries like SK, and Europe Union.

it just costs more and takes more time for the infrastructure.

I was once booked into a hotel in Hyderabad, where there was a limited offer scheme for high speed WiFi for some silly additional amount. Which I took.

Was an eye opener. Never experienced the pleasure of watching p.orn in HD without a single second of buffering.

I'm with Modi ji on this one as well. We deserve faster Internet.

should Ask Obama perhaps? He knows everything about Modi and related things...

the one thing i hate most about India.Even in a developed region like Delhi-NCR,the maximum speed available is 4mbit up/0.5 mbit down.And the rates are atrocious(i know some cities have better internet facilities)

And the FUP is so irritating!

I was once booked into a hotel in Hyderabad, where there was a limited offer scheme for high speed WiFi for some silly additional amount. Which I took.

Was an eye opener. Never experienced the pleasure of watching p.orn in HD without a single second of buffering.

I'm with Modi ji on this one as well. We deserve faster Internet.

Not only you, we all watch....those who admit and those who do not. Some like me watch it without uninterrupted for 1st 5 days of month as the speed is 2Mbps for 6GB limit only and then rest is 512 Kbps for rest of the month. The only advantage is that you go to sleep early and there by good health!!.:D

Not only you, we all watch....those who admit and those who do not. Some like me watch it without uninterrupted for 1st 5 days of month as the speed is 2Mbps for 6GB limit only and then rest is 512 Kbps for rest of the month. The only advantage is that you go to sleep early and there by good health!!.:D

Ya the morning are the worst.

Its like a hangover. You need more p.orn to really wake you up and clear your head.

Ya the morning are the worst.

Its like a hangover. You need more p.orn to really wake you up and clear your head.

No hangover!!, Usually I go to bed at 11PM sharp. Whether P.orn or youtube or any video, it has to be brfore that. I will never miss the gossiping with morning walk with my friends. That is much better than P.orn.:)

Back
Top Bottom