What's new

Planet Fitness kicked Muslim woman out for wearing head scarf

Hakan

RETIRED INTL MOD
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
A New Mexico woman is claiming Planet Fitness isn’t always ‘judgment free.’

The national budget-friendly gym chain promises members an atmosphere free of “gymtimidation.” But Tarainia McDaniel, a Muslim woman, says a gym in Albuquerque booted her out because she was wearing a head scarf.

The woman reportedly told staff at the gym that the head scarf was an essential part of her Muslim faith. In return, she was told to go find a baseball cap.

McDaniel is actually a Muslim convert. Growing up, her parents were Roman Catholic and Jehovah’s Witness, the ABQ Journal reports. The woman began practicing Islam when she was a 16-year-old student at Sidwell Friends School in the Washington, D.C. area.

Islam is now a big part of her identity. In fact, she’s raising her two kids as Muslims.

The 37-year-old woman didn’t expect any problems when she joined the gym on a two-year contract. McDaniel says she’s gone to another Planet Fitness in her area a number of times with her colorful head scarf on and never had a problem.

But on Oct. 3, 2011, staff members at the Irving Boulevard location tried to turn her away. She was told that the informal head covering she was wearing didn’t meet the gym’s dress code. McDaniel said she informed staff about her religious requirements and offered to come back wearing a more formal head covering known as the hijab.

The gym reportedly denied her requests.

McDaniel's civil lawsuit, filed under the New Mexico Human Rights Act and the Unfair Practices Act, alleges that Planet Fitness illegally based the decision to deny her access upon her religion, or alternatively upon her race — she is African-American — and that the gym had no legitimate reason to deny her entry.

Planet Fitness denies those claims.

The company’s attorney Erika Anderson said the head covering McDaniel was wearing violated the gym's dress code policy. Planet Fitness prohibits members from wearing “jeans, work boots, bandanas, skull caps or revealing apparel."

In a statement, the company said gyms take into account members' religious affiliations. "At Planet Fitness, our policy is, and has always been, that members are allowed to wear head scarves for religious reasons in our clubs," the company said.

"My client's position is that they didn't know the head covering was for religious purposes," Anderson said.

Anderson said she could not comment further on pending litigation.

During a deposition for the case, Anderson asked McDaniel if she told the gym that she was Muslim.

McDaniel replied, "I sure did."

Her case is scheduled for August.

Planet Fitness has drawn criticism this week for asking a woman was asked to cover up while working out at a Planet Fitness in Richmond, Calif., because her body was too intimidating to others at the gym.

A Planet Fitness spokesperson told the station that the company "strives to make everyone feel comfortable" and says the dress code is at the discretion of the staff and manager.

Planet Fitness kicked Muslim woman out for wearing head scarf: lawsuit  - NY Daily News

This is odd because they usually permit headscarves, the client jumped the gun.

We should send her to Iran or Saudi Arabia.

A typical Iranian woman couldn't care less about Hijab, but they have to have some sort of "Hijab" otherwise they will get into trouble. For this particular reason, the nutjob Mullahs have established an "Agency" dedicated to monitor women and men attires. I would say 1 in every 9 Iranian women would wear Hijab willingly. But nonetheless I do agree with your point, if she wants to be a slave to an obsolete ideology she is welcome to GTFO.

A ty
pical Iranian woman couldn't care less about Hijab, but they have to have some sort of "Hijab" otherwise they will get into trouble. For this particular reason, the nutjob Mullahs have established an "Agency" dedicated to monitor women and men attires. I would say 1 in every 9 Iranian women would wear Hijab willingly. But nonetheless I do agree with your point, if she wants to be a slave to an obsolete ideology she is welcome to GTFO.
I'm not impressed by the cocky wannabe's that come here either.
I actually have more respect for the traditional ones that stay home.

Sue to the shit out of them!

A lot of more Muslims are needed in the fields of Law, Media, and politics throughout the Western World. So if any one dares to mistreat Muslims, we will make them pay like ****!

The process is already underway though Mashallah! ;)

Thousands of Muslims are in Western colleges and universities now...and in future, these kids will be everywhere..from Law, to politics..from engineering to Biotechnology companies...from agriculture to space sciences..Everywhere Inshallah!

Anti-Muslim, Muslim hating bigots have less time now.

Whole new generation of young Muslims are coming! Western born, Western raised, well-versed in Islamic studies/culture/law, well-versed in Qur'an/Arabic, and well-versed in native languages of the land!!!

They will not be intimidated, shy like their parents. They will tear anti-Muslim haters apart!

In coming decades, we'll surely see inevitable 'normalization' of Islam in West. Islam has become an inevitable part of Western fabric. West's second largest religion. Soon, it will be accepted as such by West itself, Inshallah. They have no other choice :smokin:

I'm not impressed by the cocky wannabe's that come here either.
I actually have more respect for the traditional ones that stay home.

Haha...I don't know about your real-life encounters with Iranians, but normally we are quite friendly, towards everyone. but if you made your judgement on the basis of that ridiculous show, then you should know that, shows like that are just out there to lure audience by their ridiculous overacting and stereotypes.

A photo of Tarainia McDaniel:

hijab-gym-lawsuit.jpg

*writes some anti-US, pro-Islam comments''
Planet fitness is shit anyways according to a friend of mine, they dont even allow squat racks, I mean what kind of fucked up gym doesnt allow squat racks.....

Their Country , Their Rules .

Their Gym , their rules .

Just like when we talk about ME .

LOL according to the gym they actually allow religious head wear so idk why they threw her out.

They did the right thing. There is no place for Islamofacists in U.S. and Europe.

LOL ahriman my dear boy wilders avatar and talking about islamofascists? Definitively got tickled by a Muslim recently. :lol:

Anyway unlike the Iranians here in the states who are 95% political refugees she is probably from a long line of Americans, since she is an African American who just happens to be a local convert. So yes she is very much welcome and a Farsi reject has no say in the matter. ;)

So wearing head scarf= Fascism?

You got to understand the farsis better, those who hate their government hate Islam.

Last edited:
You got to understand the farsis better, those who hate their government hate Islam.

That's what happens when you force any ideology on people. Religion should be about choices not compulsion. Anway you are correct majority of over seas Iranians are not very religious at all and some even despise Islam because of Mullahs.

That's what happens when you force any ideology on people. Religion should be about choices not compulsion. Anway you are correct majority of over seas Iranians are not very religious at all and some even despise Islam because of Mullahs.

Yeah instead of fighting to liberate their country they instead bitch and moan on forums lol. One of them was like he hopes Iran is bombed so that government collapses I was like LOL.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom