What's new

PLAAF transport bombers

desimorty

Reaction score
For the PLAAF followers. I know that PLAAF has dedicated bombers like the H-6 which I believe is still in production? But does the PLAAF have any transports equipped for bombing duties?
BAF and the IAF operate the AN-32 as transport/bomber.
76953f4f8210c1413dd22505dc4125f5.jpg

Isnt this kind of bombing really crude?

Use a transport. open the cargo bay and push the bombs out. The Syrian government use this method as well as crude slapped together bombs made of barrels, explosives and metal scrap.

Source: PLAAF transport bombers
Yea but the survivability of a subsonic bomber like the B52 or H-6 isn't better than a transport aircraft. And it has worked efficiently. If its stupid but it works, its not stupid.

The Y-8 has already been converted into an ASW platform. I'm sure China can do a bomber if there was a need.
3e5f1e6c30eb0e489118d7cdb71eb4ba.jpg

But why in the world would China need a transport bomber when we have the H-6K?

e924fb7e5024438481d48169ecf734e0.jpg

The JH-XX might also be under development.:D

b8b42fc9cb9a92c0a61e5c65e8f4801b.jpg

Yea but the survivability of a subsonic bomber like the B52 or H-6 isn't better than a transport aircraft. And it has worked efficiently. If its stupid but it works, its not stupid.

That's incorrect because the B-52 and H-6 can carry long range ALCMs to attack from a standoff distance. I'm sure that's something your AN-32 can't do. :D
2a3e5d5e79e1cda3def44adafca3d019.jpg

That's incorrect because the B-52 and H-6 can carry long range ALCMs to attack from a standoff distance. I'm sure that's something your AN-32 can't do. :D
View attachment 143057

Actually transport aircraft can carry anything, and sometimes more in the case of gunships, that bombers can. They just aren't typically used for attack purposes, let alone long range attacks. The Boeing 747 was once proposed as an ALCM carrier, but other methods of weapons delivery were deemed more effective and thus the plan was never implemented.

9c5dcda6b02b1af8c3bb6a6a0f4d8bfd.jpg

e5328ade27d070f9e0e0166e70e78369.jpg

This is a KC-130 Harvesthawk with a pack of missiles. They can just as easily carry ALCMs if the need arises.

ee8ace1cd527206f312739674bdf4d21.jpg

cb79e6b05c70db38590ba21dbf3a32f0.jpg

412c54e5b3b885c92c2ab586f54d780d.jpg

This would explain why the b52 isn't going to make a comeback. Transportation/bombers, dual use, In peace time they are logistical support, war time they can be converted to carpet bomb. Thanks for the post Sven, very informative. Any recent use in conflicts of these pseudo bombers.?

During the afghan war in 2001, a few of these super big bomb from transporter were used against Taliban.

This would explain why the b52 isn't going to make a comeback. Transportation/bombers, dual use, In peace time they are logistical support, war time they can be converted to carpet bomb. Thanks for the post Sven, very informative. Any recent use in conflicts of these pseudo bombers.?

The reason the B-52 isn't making a comeback is because the US has moved on to stealth bombers and UCAVs. That's the future of bombers. Furthermore, every single fighter jet in the US inventory can use the standoff JASSM-ER. Other than the C-130 using MOAB, there are virtually no modern examples of the US using transport aircraft for bombing. Can anyone show me a a real picture of a USAF transport dropping a barrage of JDAMS or SDB? Can anyone show a picture of a transport launching ALCM or JASSM? Doesn't happen does it? :disagree:

The reason the B-52 isn't making a comeback is because the US has moved on to stealth bombers and UCAVs. That's the future of bombers. Furthermore, every single fighter jet in the US inventory can use the standoff JASSM-ER. Other than the C-130 using MOAB, there are virtually no modern examples of the US using transport aircraft for bombing. Can anyone show me a a real picture of a USAF transport dropping a barrage of JDAMS or SDB? Can anyone show a picture of a transport launching ALCM or JASSM? Doesn't happen does it? :disagree:

Sure.
ywi1pin5syukxy6zynq1.jpg
un15e00f4kwvmnb6ko5k.jpg

The United States Marine Corps using a couple of modified KC-130s as close air support is not the same thing as the USAF converting every single transport into a bomber. The latter doesn't happen period. For example, does anyone want to argue that during the initial 'Shock and Awe' phase of Operation Iraqi Freedom the USAF sent in hundreds of C-17s and C-130s to bomb Iraq? :disagree:

Last edited:
For the PLAAF followers. I know that PLAAF has dedicated bombers like the H-6 which I believe is still in production? But does the PLAAF have any transports equipped for bombing duties?
BAF and the IAF operate the AN-32 as transport/bomber.
View attachment 142887

They have other better option we use them as we don't have any other option why IAF operate them not sure but probably supplement Mig-21 in ground attack role as latter can't take more load. but now i think your SU-30 can now do the same at a time

Back
Top Bottom