What's new

PLAAF to Fly 5th Generation Fighter

mean_bird

Reaction score
PLAAF to Fly 5th Generation Fighter

Nov 15, 2009
Reuben F. Johnson/Show News

Dubai Airshow

China's People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) says it will soon fly a prototype of its 5th-generation fighter, and that the aircraft will enter service within ten years--much earlier than originally projected by the U.S. intelligence community. If true, the rationale for cancelling further production of the Lockheed Martin F-22A--which is making its first appearance at Dubai this year--in favor of the F-35 would appear to have been an error in properly vetting U.S. Air Force, DIA and CIA foreign weapon system intelligence estimates.

The PLAAF celebrated the 60th anniversary of its founding as a branch of the Chinese armed services just last week. Part of the lead-up to the celebration was an interview with deputy commander He Weirong on the CCTV program "Face to Face," who made these first official statements actually acknowledging the program. The development of the 5th generation fighter is being "intensely made," he said, and the first test flight is coming later, with initial PLAAF deliveries to take place by 2010.

The lead design center on the program is No. 611 Institute--or the Chengdu Aerospace Development Institute--with prototype production to take place at Plant No. 132 of the Chengdu Aircraft Corporation. Chengdu's 5th-generation design supposedly won the competition between Chinese aircraft development centers, but their rivals at No. 601 Institute of the Shenyang Aircraft Corporation will also participate in the program.

Sources in Beijing point out that the chief designer of the Chengdu J-10, Yang Wei, had been promoted some time ago to a position at AVIC headquarters in Beijing, and had a hand in making sure that the Chengdu design was declared the winner.

Previous released projections of Chinese aeroengine development have mentioned a developed version of the Liming Aeroengine Manufacturing Corporation's WS-10A engine, designated the WS-10G, which has a thrust rating of 15800 kg (155kN). Other sources have stated the engine is the WS-15 model rated at 15000 kg (147kN). The Chinese almost never mention a program until officials been given clearance to do so--and they are assured that the program schedule as announced can be met. Barring any unforeseen technological bottlenecks, the Chinese program would appear to be moving faster than its U.S. (F-35) and Russian (T-50/PAK-FA) analogs

Copyright 2009 Aviation Week, a division of The McGraw-Hill Companies.

Guys that's a truly a great news what you think will Pakistan try to get his hands on this piece of beauty when this roll out fully ?. What you gusy say on this ?.

Any REAL prototype photos would be most welcome :-)
Mr Wangrong?

At first, I thought this was just some blog without any links with reality. However, Aviation Week is one of the most trusted sources in the Aerospace industry (our company has a subscription, which speaks much about its reliability).

They even published something regarding a next-generation, super-cruising, thurst vectoring, low observable, carrier-borne multirole fighter aircraft program currently in its early stages. It seems China will keep surprising the world for the next few years.

It would be smart on Pakistan's part to invest as much as possible in the early stages of the program. Not only would we be able to secure rights to the aircraft, but will also increase our know-how and industrial base.

what the heck? I thought the jxx was a piece of crap, and that FGFA was going faster and was better. This is a propaganda post!
How do you know the J-XX is a piece of crap and the FGFA is better? What did you base this assumption on?

FGFA will be coming out with a Tech Demo either in 2011, so be happy, it seems the Russians are on track as well. However, don't expect a full-on prototype at least until 2014/5.

It would be smart on Pakistan's part to invest as much as possible in the early stages of the program. Not only would we be able to secure rights to the aircraft, but will also increase our know-how and industrial base.

Piecing information in bits from different sources, it seems there are actually 2 such projects under development - a twin engine heavy weight fighter and a single engine one (similar to F-22 and F-35).

If that is the case, atleast one of them would (or should) be available to us. If you have been keeping abreast from tidbits from different sources, you would understand what I mean.

I think we will see one of them within the next 2 years and the other followed shortly afterwords. Possibly the twin-engined one will come first considering engine development isn't exactly china's strength.

About PLAA's 5TH gen fighter,here i can tell ya:
1,named j-20,not j13 or J14..
2,the first Prototype Vehicle will flight in 2010
3,engine is WS-15 developed by xian redflag factory.
4,have two type 5TH gen flight,one(heavy) in chengdu 611,the other in shengyang 601.

BTW,aviationweek reported:
aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=awst&id=news/CHINA111309.xml&headline=China%20Close%20To%20Testing%20Next-Gen%20Fighter

Piecing information in bits from different sources, it seems there are actually 2 such projects under development - a twin engine heavy weight fighter and a single engine one (similar to F-22 and F-35).

If that is the case, atleast one of them would (or should) be available to us. If you have been keeping abreast from tidbits from different sources, you would understand what I mean.

I think we will see one of them within the next 2 years and the other followed shortly afterwords. Possibly the twin-engined one will come first considering engine development isn't exactly china's strength.
4,have two type 5TH gen flight,one(heavy) in chengdu 611,the other in shengyang 601.

aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=awst&id=news/CHINA111309.xml&headline=China%20Close%20To%20Testing%20Next-Gen%20Fighter
From various public sources and a few inside ones (a couple of my bosses were bigshots back in China) I have come to know that there are, in fact, more than two 5th Generation aircraft prototypes under development. Like many programs in the US and Soviet Union, there are more than one "institutes" engaged in R&D activities for the airframe, avionics, EW, engine etc. However, you are right, only two final compilations are likely to be inducted for induction. It is too early to say whether either of the two will be anything like the F-22, it is difficult to believe that China or even Russia can match the F-22 anytime within the decade. The F-35, on the other hand, is a more achievable target.

From various public sources and a few inside ones (a couple of my bosses were bigshots back in China) I have come to know that there are, in fact, more than two 5th Generation aircraft prototypes under development. Like many programs in the US and Soviet Union, there are more than one "institutes" engaged in R&D activities for the airframe, avionics, EW, engine etc.

However, you are right, only two final compilations are likely to be inducted for induction. It is too early to say whether either of the two will be anything like the F-22, it is difficult to believe that China or even Russia can match the F-22 anytime within the decade. The F-35, on the other hand, is a more achievable target.

I believe you mean next decade for this one is finishing next year?

Pretty unlikely if you ask me. Anything beyond two designs will be eliminated during the design phase. It would be highly surprising if more than 2 design make it to the prototypes stage. In today's world, they don't make prototypes to judge things anymore. All that is done on computers so the prototype is pretty much a close-to-final version. The only possible thing could be slight variations like seen on JF-17 (DSI).

Advanced electronics and a powerful/reliable engine...thats the big question. Will China be able to make breakthrough in these key technologies?

We do not know the full details of the Raptor so its difficult to predict. However, common sense should suggest that the F-35 being designed later should be better in atleast some of the subsystems (subject to US export restrictions where it is intentionally inferior).

With China officially acknowledging it, hopefully there will be more reliable news in the future about its progress.
:cheers:

Negative, there is only 1 full on development right now, and that's the J-14. The J-13 cheaper variant will follow up some time after the induction of the J-14, and it's the "Shenyang J-14" regardless of what internet sources alert people to.

Pakistan should try to get this jet when this roll out fully functional whenever it happens.

Question:

China working in Fighter aircrafts development since last 10 years but havent seen any proper Test report of any Aircraft. Just like F16, F18 etc. Proper information with test reports available on the net. Mostly all Chinz Aircrafts, Helicopters over all military hardware no proper test results and proper information on the internet. WHATS SO SPECIAL btw why China hide most of information related military hardware ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom