What's new

Pink Salt from Khewra Salt Mines

There is not mention about this salt in budget and govt is completely quiet about this which reflects lack of their seriousness about the issue

5d8b97c798d73.jpg

5d8b97e0746dd.jpg

Close up of glowing souvenirs on display for sale.

5d8b97daed188.jpg

Display of souvenirs made of salt rock in Khewra bazaar.

Pink Salt which is Extracted from Khewra Salt Mines located in the North of Pind Dadan Khan an administrative subdivision of Jhelum District Punjab. Pakistan is Exporting this salt in the Form of Raw Material and without proper packing to Neighbouring Country India in just a price of 35 Paisa Per Kilogrammes while India is Exporting same Pink Salt under the name of Himalayan Pink Salt to Europe and USA where a bag of 1 KG of this salt is being sold at the price of $50 Dollars per KG and €19 Euro per KG
Here is my comprehensive look at this issue with information gathered from World Atlas data, news websites and wikipedia for good measure...

The exploitation of the Pink Gold of Pakistan

India has been importing Himalayan Pink rock salt from Pakistan at mindlessly low rates, as low as 35 Paisas per kg in some deals and has been selling it abroad after packaging and marketing the same as finished natural/ mineral produce from Himalayas, as high as 20 Euros per kg on Western Market Shelves. This literally amounts to Pakistan letting India make billions of Dollars worth of exports at its own expense which it can make itself while denting a huge blow to Indian exports at the same time.

India according to an agreement in, 1947 will be continuously supplied by Pakistani salt despite war or peace. Similarly, they also agreed not to block Pakistani waters, though they are continuously building dams on our water thus breaching the agreement. Following post Pulwama escalations, India put all its efforts to sabotage Pakistan’s economy by taking certain antipathic steps such as raising 200% custom duties on our items almost banning them to get entry in their country.

India resells our salt by naming it as Indian brand (Himalayan salt) to rest of the world at very expensive rates. Why India is not raising tax on our salt and still importing it? There are multiple factors underlying this cause. Firstly, the salt mined from famous Khewra (Pakistani Punjab) mines is very unique and portrayed as one of the purest and most expensive salt in the world. It is also called as white or pink gold.

In the year 2016 India bought 625 metric tons of pink salt from Pakistan at price of 2.98 rupees per Kg and exported 15.09562metric tons salt to Korea, USA, UAE, Canada, Somalia and Spain at a price of average 125PKR/kg with its own wrapping and product name. Thirdly, India makes multiple other products from our salt and sells it to rest of the world. One more thing is also very important our salt is being sold by Israel and France as well as their product.

Pakistan needs to stop this mindless theft of its natural resource at such an abysmal rate and put a ban on India from buying Himalayan salt from Pakistan at such a low price. This natural resource can then be sold by Pakistan and reap the same benefit of billions of dollars in exports itself instead of letting India make billions of dollars on Pakistan's product while we stand to earn peanuts on exporting huge Himalayan Rock boulders for such a measly price.

The extraction of salt from Khewra Salt Mine was 389,134 tons, as reported in 2018 by ministry of commerce. The predictable reserves are between 82 million tons and 600 million tons. At this speed, the mine is likely to produce salt for another 350 years. So we can earn a handsome foreign exchange from our salt industry to help our economy and elevating the standards of our people.

Forget Oil and even precious metal mines that require millions of dollars if not billions of infrasturcture and development to get access to those metals, we are already blessed with PINK GOLD in the form of our own Himalayan Pink Salt. The Government of Pakistan needs to put a stop to this mindless theft of its PINK GOLD by India right under our noses and invite investors itself to export this everyday use commodity to every household in the world as PRODUCED IN PAKISTAN.

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-10 at 1.18.12 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-09-10 at 1.18.25 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-09-10 at 1.18.13 PM.jpeg

Ban the export of all raw materials from Pakistan

this is shocking

toba wat a curse this nation is. i did research a lamp cost the least 15 pounds. they pak guy working in the mine gets paid 3 dollar wtf. this nation deserves pain and suffering. this is the best salt you can buy. a little pink salt grinder costs minium 2.50 in england.

when shtf the pink salt is worth gold in weight.

I think at least 100 items, including this, has been banned to export to India. so india cannot export it to the world..

Last edited:
I think at least 100 items, including this, has been banned to import through India now...

Your english is difficult to follow. Are you saying raw, unprocessed pink salt is now banned from being EXPORTED to India or IMPORTED FROM India ?

Your english is difficult to follow. Are you saying raw, unprocessed pink salt is now banned from being EXPORTED to India or IMPORTED FROM India ?
@ghazi52
ok 60, not 100, things are banned... watch from start.. and see our meat export response in UAE.. @Areesh

Himalayan pink salt, a matter of national pride for Pakistan

Back
Top Bottom