What's new

Photos from Cyprus 1974

Foinikas

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Greece
Now you probably haven't seen any photos from the Greek Cypriot side. I have some from the Coup and 1974 Invasion and also many from the Turkish side,but since I got a great deal of them from this forum(I think),I don't know it's useless to post them. If you want the Turkish photos too,just tell me to post them.
First,a photo of a T-34-85 during the Coup against Makarios.
14086271_10207007005204096_1571254201194407099_o.jpg

The Greek Cypriot 31 MK (Raider "Squadron") with Turkish trophies from the Battle of Mansoura,Tillyria in August 1964.
31-MK1.jpg
31MK-2.png
31ΜΚ.png

Ok I'll spicy up for you with some photos of Turks as well:
Turks after capturing Kyrenia/Girne
A23tWq3.jpg

Turks with captured Greek flag
konuksever8.jpg

Turkish M-47s
konuksever7.jpg

103.jpg

How do Greeks view the events of the 70s now? Is there regret that pushing for enosis caused the split, or is the blame solely put on the Turks for dividing the island?

How do Greeks view the events of the 70s now? Is there regret that pushing for enosis caused the split, or is the blame solely put on the Turks for dividing the island?
What Greeks believe above all,is that Cyprus was betrayed. That it was betrayed by the Ioannides junta,who was fanatically pro-American (notice Ioannides had launched his own coup in late 1973 and toppled Papadopoulos).And it's actually true,he didn't send any reinforcements to the island,he did almost nothing.
The only reinforcements were a few commandos in some NORATLAS aircraft,sent at night without notifying the Greek Cypriots to expect them. The result was,they were shot at and they had casualties.
The other reinforcements that were supposed to be sent,a batallion of medium tanks,an infantry batallion and about 500 Cypriot students from the mainland,were ordered back shortly after the ship that was carrying them,had sailed. They were eventually tricked into landing on Rhodes and then sent back to the mainland.

The problem was Makarios was very controversial. I don't think Greeks nowadays regret Enosis. What bittered everyone is that while the Greek Cypriot National Guard and ELDYK fought bravely,fought and gave their everything,with what little means they had,they were abandoned just like that...
And what also bitters the people here is the American and British stance which is seen as pro-Turkish on the matter.

Last edited:
I am Cypriot. what you need to know is. The Greek Cypriots claim they're "not part of or owned by Greece" and the Turkish Cypriots also claim "They're not from Mainland Turkey or part of Turkey".
Both sides like to delude themselves into thinking they're independent.
It's embarrassing and cringey for people like me to have to listen to it all the time.

I am Cypriot. what you need to know is. The Greek Cypriots claim they're "not part of or owned by Greece" and the Turkish Cypriots also claim "They're not from Mainland Turkey or part of Turkey".
Both sides like to delude themselves into thinking they're independent.
It's embarrassing and cringey for people like me to have to listen to it all the time.
Heck,I've even heard from Cypriots "Why should we join Greece?" back in the mid-2000s when their economy was sky high with the Pound. Besides,you know they have this British colonial syndrome like the Indians and Pakistanis: They nag and nag and nag about the British and then go to London to study and work 😂

The captured M-47 and M-113. There's actually an interesting story behind the M-47.
captured_tank_750_bg.jpg
SaxJtO9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom