What's new

PHOTO: Baby UCAV flies in China?

CardSharp

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
PHOTO: Baby UCAV flies in China? - The DEW Line

By Stephen Trimble on September 23, 2011 5:07 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0) |ShareThis

UAV%20Weimeng%20-%20strange.jpg

A new photo on sinodefenseforum and Secret Projects appears to show China's first stealthy unmanned combat air vehicle (UCAV). One view on these forums guesses this image may reveal a new, subscale, 2m-wingspan demonstrator by Shenyang, one of China's three historic fighter makers along with Chengdu and Xian. Others speculate that it could be merely a hobbyist's remote controlled aircraft - a toy.

With startling photos of secret Chinese military projects, there is always reason to suspect fraud-by-Photoshop. But this image at least wears a legitimate pedigree. Weifeng is the online moniker for a widely published Chinese aviation spotter. You can view this photographer's catalogue of commercial and military aircraft images on airliners.net and JetPhotos.net. Weifeng also maintains one of the best and most up-to-date Chinese military imagery sites at cnair.top81.cn.

This image of a stealthy UCAV is being ciruclated only three weeks after Weifeng attended an open house at Changchun AFB, which yielded this gorgeous image of a parked J-11.

We don't need to speculate about Shenyang's interest in flying-wing, stealthy UCAVs. The company's research engineers have published several papers in recent years on this topic, including this one titled "Application of Flying Wing UAV for Reconnaissance". The paper concludes "the flying wing configuration is an optimal selection of aerodynamic configuration design of an UCAV for reconnaissance".

We've also seen China show off flying-wing concepts for UCAVs in the recent past. At the 2008 Zhuhai air show, for instance, Shenyang presented a forward-swept flying wing called Combat Eagle [shown below]. It is not as electrifying as the Dark Sword concept that Shenyang unveiled at the 2006 Zhuhai air show, but clearly shows Chinese ambitions in stealthy UCAVs. It would not be out of sequence for Shenyang's engineering team to begin with a subscale demonstrator to understand the aerodynamics and flight controls of a flying-wing aircraft.

combat%20eagle-thumb-560x373-140977.jpg

Looks like something I could buy from a hobby shop.

i have a rc jet looks the same or i can make one though if real the a big congo

OMG~屌爆了!

我还以为是P的呢,原来是真的啊~~

unbelievable~~

still quite small.a testing model for shape?

hope they can remove the tail and make a big one

I noticed that this plane has an arrester hook, it is highly probable a future UACV for China's future aircraft carriers.

that uav is one of many competing in the AVIC sponsored competition, september 23 - 25, 2011.

IMHO this isn't part of China's UCAV program. The Chinese heavy stealth UCAV is expected to have forward swept wings and is set to fly next year. If the scale model is flying now and bears no resemblance to the expected design, then it leads me to believe it is a separate project.

It could be a high altitude spy UAV, like the one used in the Osama Bin Laden raid.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

that uav is one of many competing in the AVIC sponsored competition, september 23 - 25, 2011.

Are you suggesting that the UCAV hasn't started development yet? Huitong said the Chinese UCAV will fly in 2012.

It does you can see the tip of one side showing.

The tails don't seem to have any control surfaces and I think it might only be for stabilizing purposes.

Back
Top Bottom