What's new

Philippine Air Force no more all air, no force

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Philippine Air Force no more all air, no force

The joke about the Philippine Air Force (PAF) is that it is “all air and no force”—and that hurts.
But that may soon be over.

Saying better times are at hand, the PAF’s new commanding general, Maj. Gen. Lauro Catalino dela Cruz, on Friday attended the blessing of four of eight Polish multi-role helicopters worth P2.8 billion which the Philippines received as part of its modernization program.

The new W-3 Sokol (Falcon) helicopters will be used for combat support as well as disaster relief missions, Dela Cruz said in turnover ceremonies at the former US Clark Air Base in Pampanga province.

Dela Cruz said the acquisition of the new sophisticated machines gave a “glimpse of many more changes to come.”

‘Thing of the past’

From being the best in Southeast Asia after World War II until the 1960s, the PAF saw its squadrons of fighter jets become obsolete without being replaced despite modernization plans.

The PAF deeply felt its decline when the last of its F5 “Blue Diamond” fighter jets was officially decommissioned in 2005, leaving the military incapable of intercepting intruders in the country’s airspace. Meanwhile, the number of accidents involving refurbished planes and helicopters piled up.

“The lack of equipment has always been our handicap. But despite that, we never let our guard down and instead focused on our strength, the talent of our people,” Dela Cruz said at brief ceremonies at Air Force City. “Sometimes the joke hurts that we only have air and no force.”

“But eventually this will be a thing of the past,” he added. “We can now see a horizon of better times, the beginning of an Air Force that is adequately equipped and skilled.”

Morale boosters

The guests, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin and Armed Forces of the Philippines Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Jessie Dellosa, poured champagne on the helicopters’ noses during the ceremonies.

The new “Sokol” combat utility helicopters are expected to take some of the load off the military’s workhorse, the refurbished Vietnam War-era UH-1H “Huey” utility helicopters.

Used for transporting troops and cargo, the new helicopters are considered crucial for the emergency medical evacuation of ground troops in combat operations and for search and rescue missions during disasters.

Dela Cruz said the arrival of the new helicopters was a big morale booster.

“I know many of our fellow soldiers in the Philippine Army and the Marines will be very happy with the improved capability of their Air Force,” Dela Cruz said.

Demonstration ride

Maj. Randy Buena, group leader of six military pilots who have flown the new helicopters for test flights, said they were “amazed” at what the machines could do.

“It’s a beautiful aircraft,” Buena said before members of the media were given a demonstration ride on two of the helicopters.

This reporter was in a group of nine media members who, with two pilots and two crew members, flew for 40 minutes from Air Force City base through Crow Valley up to the crater of Mt. Pinatubo and back.

Unlike a ride in the single-engine Huey, the ride in the Sokol was smooth throughout despite the turbulence outside.

The pilots demonstrated the chopper could go on auto-pilot and showed off manuevers.

According to the briefer, the Sokols are equipped with the latest navigation and avionics systems that allow them to operate in all weather conditions day and night.

Credible defense

The PAF currently has 40 UH-1H helicopters, 18 MG-520 helicopter gunships, two Italian S211 jets with three undergoing repairs, plus about a dozen tuboprop OV-10 attack and observation planes, spokesperson Lt. Col. Miguel Ernesto Okol said. One C-130 transport aircraft is in service and two are undergoing repairs expected to be completed this year, he added.

The Philippines has been fighting a decades-long communist insurgency, al-Qaida-linked terrorists with military assistance largely from the United States, its longtime ally, and rarely acquires arms and equipment from other countries.

Manila last year said it would seek 12 F-16 fighter jets from Washington amid its simmering territorial dispute in the West Philippine (South China) Sea with Beijing. Washington has provided a Coast Guard cutter to the Philippines and agreed to send another one this year.

Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said the Philippines wanted to build “a minimum credible defense posture and the US has expressed their willingness to help us.”

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/158877/philippine-air-force-no-more-all-air-no-force

4570643_f260.jpg

OV-10 Bronco remain grounded in 2011.

Here old news Nov 11, 2012.
MANILA, Philippines - The grounding of the Air Force OV-10 units will not affect operations against lawless elements in Mindanao, the military stressed yesterday.

Air Force spokesman Lt. Col. Miguel Okol said they can tap other air assets to provide air support for ground troops.

Not sure why the US would not sell older Helicopters to Phil AF, US is actually controlling Philippines Armed Forces.

I think that they should look towards Pakistan made equipments that are good in quality as well cheap along with Chinese and Russians ones that are cheaper to maintain as well.

It's been a long while since our country's air force had a brand new aircraft. I know this helicopter procurement may seem small compared to other air forces but this is very significant for our Air Force boys & girls.

"Not sure why the US would not sell older Helicopters to Phil AF, US is actually controlling Philippines Armed Forces"
Our Airforce probably don't have enough funds yet to buy other choppers excluding Hueys..

"I think that they should look towards Pakistan made equipments that are good in quality as well cheap along with Chinese and Russians ones that are cheaper to maintain as well."

Problem is, our country has some diplomatic problems with China in the form of Spratly's dispute. The JF-17 would be also a good Philippine Air Force candidate if it weren't for the political situation and the political alignment of our politicians (mostly pro USA)..

As for Russian equipment, it could be possible.. but aside from the political alignment again, our air force crews probably grew accustomed to US based systems. Then again, those W-3s are Polish so yeah..
I guess the Air Force budget can disregard politics.

I'm just saying this from a civilian perspective. Not sure what are the true reasons behind this and that decisions in the Air Force. ^^

Helicopters from PZL-Świdnik Delivered to Philippines Air Force

Świdnik SA, an AgustaWestland company, is pleased to announce that the first four Sokol helicopters for the Philippine Air Force, produced in Swidnik, departed Poland Monday morning, February 13, at the start of their delivery to Manila, in the Philippines.

Not sure why the US would not sell older Helicopters to Phil AF, US is actually controlling Philippines Armed Forces.

they did.hell they'd give them old hueys(with tons of M16A1 inside the helos) for free

but the PAF wanted a newer,better helicopters.They have evaluated UH-60 before,but the cost(from acquisition cost to maintenance and cost per flight hour) are prohibitively costly.especially when they're going to utilize helos like the vietnam era(mass air cavalry)

thus the reason why Sokol is being chosen.it has better all-around performance than the Huey,yet considerably cheaper than the blackhawk

I think that they should look towards Pakistan made equipments that are good in quality as well cheap along with Chinese and Russians ones that are cheaper to maintain as well.

If you've been upto date with the news here in Asia, Reds aren't exactly on cordial terms with the Filipinos, after last year's debacle caused by the CCP. You really think they would consider a Chinese strategic asset after that sort of rattling they faced? Not happening.

The reason Philippines is so close to US is simple: Filipino economy is running peacefully because of USA.

But the PhAF could definitely do with more transporters like C27Js, utility helicopters like the Bell 4412, attack helicopters like Bell AH-1Z and light attack/trainer jets like the KAI T-50s and even F-16s.

The HAL ALH could be a definite option for PhAF, affordable yet world class.

The HAL ALH could be a definite option for PhAF, affordable yet world class.

Dhruv is of course a great option for the Filipinos. But they're yet to express any interest in anything non-American. I am more optimistic about Vietnam right now.

LCH too can be a great potential IF and only if HAL can replicate its 33 helicopters per annum production rate with the LCH as well. Remember, our IAF and IA both have a total order of 180+ LCH which would easily take 6-7 years if we consider the 30+ units production per year. Otherwise, the only viable solution would be to build at least half a dozen more facilities which would need to cover additional costs of production and this would mean we'd need to commercialize LCH for global sales like other gunships. IMHO, HAL isn't really ready for that level of commercialization.

Don't know about foreign orders but the Lankans seem to have shown interest in it.

Of course, if HAL can show that it can produce 30+ helos per year, I think we should invest in additional facilities just to produce export helicopters and also start marketing LCH en masse. Dhruv has a good reputation among emerging nations and LCH based on it would attract excellent attention (similar to how Rafale rode on Mirage's success).

Helicopters from PZL-Świdnik Delivered to Philippines Air Force

Świdnik SA, an AgustaWestland company, is pleased to announce that the first four Sokol helicopters for the Philippine Air Force, produced in Swidnik, departed Poland Monday morning, February 13, at the start of their delivery to Manila, in the Philippines.

Good option. In fact, a light air force in an island nation like Philippines must focus on excellent transport capabilities for troops more. Sokol could be greatly augmenting PhAF's transport capabilities. But what they need is also firepower.

I don't think Philippines can afford to operate modern fighter jets in significant numbers (2+ squadrons). Even with the new helicopters, its airspace is as wide open as before. In fact, this decline in military capability is not limited to its airforce, but also its navy and army. I am of the opinion that maintaining a modern military will be more and more difficult for small countries.

Chinese weapons are out of the question for Philippines, due to South China Sea issue as well as Philippines' alignment to U.S. The best hope for them is to request Americans provide them with some refurbished F-16C for free when F-35 starts entering service. I don't say this to be mean, but I think it's the most practical way.

not all countries are going to have the money to maintain a modern military. That's fine. The costs are rising faster than their GDPs. So the solution is to solve problems with diplomacy.

I don't think Philippines can afford to operate modern fighter jets in significant numbers (2+ squadrons). Even with the new helicopters, its airspace is as wide open as before. In fact, this decline in military capability is not limited to its airforce, but also its navy and army. I am of the opinion that maintaining a modern military will be more and more difficult for small countries.

Chinese weapons are out of the question for Philippines, due to South China Sea issue as well as Philippines' alignment to U.S. The best hope for them is to request Americans provide them with some refurbished F-16C for free when F-35 starts entering service. I don't say this to be mean, but I think it's the most practical way.

I heard refurbishing an F-16 costs somewhere around $50 million. I think they can technically afford them since their economy is pretty good. I think it is more of an issue of placing their priorities right.

Also, I'm starting to think that their military has become somewhat incompetent.

their armed forces revolves around counter-insurgency warfare,and as long as the rebels are not being completely eradicated or successfully being taken to sign peace treaty,they should remain as so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom