What's new

Pentagon: Chinese military spending exceeds $145 billion in 2013

xhw1986

Reaction score
Country
Norway
China's military spending exceeded $145 billion last year as it advanced a program modernizing an arsenal of drones, warships, jets, missiles and cyber weapons, the Pentagon said on Thursday, offering a far higher figure than Beijing's official tally.

The Pentagon's estimate, using 2013 prices and exchange rates, was 21 percent above the $119.5 billion figure announced by China. It was detailed in an annual report to Congress that cited steady progress in Chinese defense capabilities.

It acknowledged that estimating Chinese spending can be difficult, in part because of "poor accounting transparency and incomplete transition from a command economy."

China's Defense Ministry, in a statement on its website, said it was "resolutely opposed" to the Pentagon report.

Chinese military spending exceeds $145 billion, drones advanced: U.S.| Reuters

The Pentagon ,haha,should count the number of :dirol:ur expenses exceed

Still much lower than the US's $500b or so.

In fact we don't spend enough.

What is this in PPP numbers? Considering that China's PPP GDP is fast approaching that of the Americans.

China's unofficial budget is around $300 billion.

Don't forget that the US has to spend a fortune on paying for its numerous military bases abroad........something China is not at this time burdened with. Plus the fact that it costs a lot more money in the US to design and build its military hardware.

In fact looking at the numerous defence projects China has, I would hazard a guess to say that China probably gets more military hardware per year, out of its budget, than the US does with its budget!

I mean as an example my own country the UK has a high defence budget..........but we seem to get very little hardware out of it at the end of the day. :mad:

I don't get the obsession with "transparency". This is military we are talking about. Countries only give a clear figure of their military when they don't have a choice.

I don't get the obsession with "transparency". This is military we are talking about. Countries only give a clear figure of their military when they don't have a choice.

1) Transparency = accountability to your taxpayers. Otherwise, it breeds corruption. Even the black budgets within the US are more likely to involve corruption (stacks of cash being lost in Iraq, overcharging for equipment, etc.), whereas the transparent parts of the budget are heavily scrutinized.

2) Deterrence (e.g. look how much we're spending, you had better think twice about military action against us)

3) Limit misunderstandings and reduce hostilities (e.g. if the spending is primarily on defensive equipment, or a lot of the money goes to pensions, etc.)

We need a defence budget at 3% of GDP, and the future increased part should put to R&D and equipment.

The technology from military R&D can be transfered to civilian application. It will not be a burden to economy.

:partay:
Good point. Like i'm sure the world's military are all transparent . This is quite stipid. Thing to suggest by any nation.

At least Chinese are not borrowing the money like US does .

China is just following the US. It will hide its true figures the same the US does. Plus, CHina gets more for its money due to lower prices on labor and parts...

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom