What's new

Peace with Pakistan was also a victim of Mumbai massacres - UAE Daily Editorial

EjazR

Reaction score
Peace with Pakistan was also a victim of Mumbai massacres - The National Newspaper

ISLAMABAD // Journalists who gathered recently at a hotel in Gilgit, a town in the disputed territory of Kashmir, asked Syed Khurshid Shah, a senior Pakistani cabinet minister, whether he expected his government to conclude a long-awaited peace deal with India by the end of its term in office in 2013.

“We will be lucky if the Indians even agree to return to the negotiating table,” the veteran politician said.

Mr Shah’s tone of resignation was an honest admission of the nosedive in relations between the South Asian neighbours since suspected members of Lashkar-i-Taiba unleashed hell on the residents of India’s most iconic city.

Pakistan and India, which have fought three wars and two localised conflicts since independence from Britain in 1947, had come within touching distance of a comprehensive peace agreement in negotiations between 2004 and 2006 during the presidency of Pervez Musharraf.

Indeed, it is widely believed that had Mr Musharraf’s regime survived the domestic political turbulence of 2007 and 2008, a Nobel Peace Prize-winning pact may well have been signed with the Congress-led government in New Delhi, particularly as it went on to win another term in India’s national elections in March.

Asif Ali Zardari, who succeeded Mr Musharraf as president in August 2008, had sought to restore diplomatic momentum just weeks before the Mumbai attacks, offering a “no first nuclear strike” during a televised address to a conference hosted in New Delhi by the Hindustan Times, a leading English language newspaper.

The offer was substantial, considering it represented a reversal of a defence doctrine introduced by Mr Musharraf, in which missile-based nuclear weapons were positioned as a counter-balance to India’s overwhelming conventional military superiority.

But, by then, the Lashkar-i-Taiba was on the verge of launching the Mumbai attacks, the stated aim of which was to end the détente in South Asia, something the militants had come to view through al Qa’eda-coloured glasses after the Pakistani military had pulled the plug on their activities in disputed Kashmir in 2002, following intense diplomatic pressure from the United States, security officials and analysts said.

In fact, rumours had started to circulate within security analyst circles as early as March 2008 that the militants were planning “something big in India”.

In the months immediately after the Mumbai attacks, Pakistani intelligence officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, had admitted that they had kept track of the militants’ preparations, but had been given the slip at a critical moment.

“Somewhere between the end of training and the launch of the operation, the militants disappeared. We have concluded that during that period, they were contacted by al Qa’eda operatives and given a new mission,” said an official, who was speaking without authorisation.

“The result was that the original operational parameters, which had been confined to attacking the Taj [palace hotel], were expanded to the terrorisation of the Mumbai public and the targeting of the Jewish community centre.”

The official implied that Lashkar-i-Taiba and other Pakistan-based militant groups that had previously targeted Indian security forces in disputed Kashmir, are, like their counterparts in the insurgent north-west tribal areas, no longer following the strategic objectives of the military’s Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) directorate.

That is apparently borne out by the events that followed an attack on the Indian parliament in December 2001 by the Jaish-i-Mohammed militant group, an act that escalated tensions almost to the point of war.

The group had catapulted to international notoriety in December 1999 when it hijacked an Indian airliner to Taliban-ruled Afghanistan to secure the release from the Tihar Jail in New Delhi of Maulana Masood Azhar, its leader, and others, including Omar Saeed Sheikh, now jailed in Pakistan for the 2002 kidnapping and murder of Daniel Pearl, a reporter for The Wall Street Journal.

The subsequent diplomatic efforts in 2002 of the United States prompted the ISI to summon the leaders of the 17 militant groups active in Kashmir, known as the United Jihad Council, and instruct them to cease and desist, analysts said.

“When the militants were told operational funding would no longer be available [from the military’s Inter Services Intelligence directorate], they approached sources in the Gulf with whom they shared the Wahhabi interpretation of Islam,” said Imtiaz Gul, chairman of the Centre for Research and Security Studies, a liberal think tank in Islamabad.

“At the time, militant leaders remarked to me that God had opened one door to continue their jihad after another had been shut,” said Mr Gul, author of the recently published book, The al Qa’eda Connection: the Taliban and Terror in Pakistan’s Tribal Areas.

The new policy from Islamabad did translate into action on the ground, with independent analysts estimating an 80 per cent reduction in militant traffic across the Line of Control, the de facto border, into Indian Kashmir.

By 2007, as bilateral bonhomie peaked, the Musharraf administration was pro-actively providing intelligence to India about Kashmiri militant groups, the analysts said.

Hezb-ul-Mujahideen, the largest of the 16 militant groups, was effectively put out of action as a direct consequence, losing 34 senior commanders and more than 300 militant fighters to raids by Indian security forces, according to Amir Mir, author of the 2008 book The Fluttering Flag of Jihad.

However, the Mumbai attacks, the subsequently damning testimony of Ajmal Kasab, the sole captured terrorist, and statements by generals that reasserted a defence doctrine based on a perceived threat of invasion by India, suggested to analysts that the Pakistani army might be slipping back into bad habits.

That perception was amplified by assertions of US officials that ISI personnel were maintaining contacts with the Afghan Taliban, as well as Pakistani militants, raising the question within western think tanks: “What war is the Pakistan army fighting? Because it’s certainly not ours”.

That prompted a group of Pakistani journalists, who met Gen Pervez Ashfaq Kayani, the Pakistani army chief, in September, to ask him point-blank whether, “as alleged by India, via Washington”, the Lashkar-i-Taiba was still acting as a first line of defence against India.

“We cannot outsource our national defence to private groups,” Mr Kayani was reported to have responded. “That is a thing of the past. We cannot afford it any more.”

That point was underlined on October 10, when militant raiders penetrated the Pakistan army headquarters in Rawalpindi and took hostage nearly all the staff of the military intelligence directorate.

Army spokesmen have since confirmed the participation in the attack of members of the Jaish-i-Mohammed, who, like many of their ilk, had migrated to the militant strongholds in Pakistan’s Federally Administered Tribal Areas after being excluded from Kashmir in 2002.

Analysts said that included among them were “hundreds” of former military mentors who, after being retired from service during a purge of militant sympathisers by Mr Musharraf, joined hands with their protégés, and Afghan Taliban and Arab al Qa’eda leaders based in the tribal areas since being chased out of Afghanistan in 2001.

Therein lies the crux of the Pakistan army’s dilemma, the analysts said. “I feel the army is scared of itself, that the chief fears the soldier,” said Khaled Ahmed, consulting editor of the Daily Times, an English newspaper.

“Far too many army officers have crossed the line into the Islamist camp.”

Peace with Pakistan was also a victim of Mumbai massacres - The National Newspaper

“We will be lucky if the Indians even agree to return to the negotiating table,” the veteran politician said.

Indeed, it is widely believed that had Mr Musharraf’s regime survived the domestic political turbulence of 2007 and 2008, a Nobel Peace Prize-winning pact may well have been signed with the Congress-led government in New Delhi, particularly as it went on to win another term in India’s national elections in March.

Asif Ali Zardari, ..............., offering a “no first nuclear strike” during a televised address to a conference hosted in New Delhi by the Hindustan Times, a leading English language newspaper.

But, by then, the Lashkar-i-Taiba was on the verge of launching the Mumbai attacks, the stated aim of which was to end the détente in South Asia, something the militants had come to view through al Qa’eda-coloured glasses after the Pakistani military had pulled the plug on their activities in disputed Kashmir in 2002, following intense diplomatic pressure from the United States, security officials and analysts said.

“The result was that the original operational parameters, which had been confined to attacking the Taj [palace hotel], were expanded to the terrorisation of the Mumbai public and the targeting of the Jewish community centre.”

The official implied that Lashkar-i-Taiba and other Pakistan-based militant groups that had previously targeted Indian security forces in disputed Kashmir, are, like their counterparts in the insurgent north-west tribal areas, no longer following the strategic objectives of the military’s Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) directorate.

The subsequent diplomatic efforts in 2002 of the United States prompted the ISI to summon the leaders of the 17 militant groups active in Kashmir, known as the United Jihad Council, and instruct them to cease and desist, analysts said.

The new policy from Islamabad did translate into action on the ground, with independent analysts estimating an 80 per cent reduction in militant traffic across the Line of Control, the de facto border, into Indian Kashmir.

By 2007, as bilateral bonhomie peaked, the Musharraf administration was pro-actively providing intelligence to India about Kashmiri militant groups, the analysts said.

However, the Mumbai attacks, the subsequently damning testimony of Ajmal Kasab, the sole captured terrorist, and statements by generals that reasserted a defence doctrine based on a perceived threat of invasion by India, suggested to analysts that the Pakistani army might be slipping back into bad habits.

That perception was amplified by assertions of US officials that ISI personnel were maintaining contacts with the Afghan Taliban, as well as Pakistani militants, raising the question within western think tanks: “What war is the Pakistan army fighting? Because it’s certainly not ours”.

“We cannot outsource our national defence to private groups,” Mr Kayani was reported to have responded. “That is a thing of the past. We cannot afford it any more.”

That point was underlined on October 10, when militant raiders penetrated the Pakistan army headquarters in Rawalpindi and took hostage nearly all the staff of the military intelligence directorate.

“Far too many army officers have crossed the line into the Islamist camp.”

Important points to ponder.
Excellent find EjazR.

Yet another anti-Pakistan rant by Tom Hussain.

This guy has a history of venting anti-Pakistan venom...

Just type 'Tom Hussain' in their search box and you will see a long history of articles by this guy, all anti-Pakistan.

As for the substance, or lack thereof, in this editorial, it is nothing but the usual unsubstantiated anonymus official crap....

Good find Ejaz.

Peace Deal for what? Build your defense and leave it at that.

No Indian has any illusion as to the definition of "Peace" in the pakistani lexicon.

Status quo it needs to be ...... for now.

Cheers, Doc

stop trolling dude you just wasted two minutes of my life that im never gonna get back

Journalists who gathered recently at a hotel in Gilgit, a town in the disputed territory of Kashmir

Is it so? Gilgit a part of Kashmir??? I don't think so. It is a seperate region called Gilgit-Baltistan.

First line inauthentic. I agree to Developereo

KIT Out

Gilgit is not a part of Disputed Kashmir. The disputed Kashmir is the area where India has occupied.

And when you talk of dispute the first thing one has in mind is anarchy, bitterest law and order situation, anti governmental movements. I dont see a single of such situaion in Gilgit rather in Azad Kashmir. Azad Kashmir has a seperated assembly that makes its own laws. The most peaceful area if compared to other areas of Pakistan.

What about the Kashmir under occupation in India? Ow, thousands of Indian soldiers are dead, thousands of Kashmiris are dead, nearly 7 organizations acting against India and struggling for their freedom. Point out even a single organization of such sort active in Azad Kashmir or Gilgit-Baltistan.

So the first line is in-authentic. That learned person couldn't understand this simple stats and starts writing against Pakistan. BS.

KIT Over

Gilgit is not a part of Disputed Kashmir. The disputed Kashmir is the area where India has occupied.

Gilgit-Baltistan

Gilgit-Baltistan (Urdu: گلگت بلتستان, Gilgit-Baltistān) is a non-self-governing territory under Pakistani control. The territory, which does not constitutionally form part of Pakistan proper, was formerly known as the Northern Areas (Urdu: شمالی علاقہ جات,
Shumālī Ilāqe Jāt).[3] It is the northernmost political entity within the Pakistani-controlled part of the former princely state of Jammu and Kashmir. It borders Afghanistan to the north, China to the northeast, the Pakistani-administered state of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) to the south, and the Indian-administered state of Jammu and Kashmir to the southeast. The territory became a single administrative unit in 1970 under the name "Northern Areas" and was formed by the amalgamation of the Gilgit Agency, the Baltistan District of the Ladakh Wazarat, and the states of Hunza and Nagar. With its administrative center at the town of Gilgit, Gilgit-Baltistan covers an area of 72,971 km² (28,174 mi²) and has an estimated population approaching 1,000,000. The territory is part of the larger disputed territory of Kashmir and has been in dispute between India, Pakistan, and China since 1947.

Please do research subjects before you post.

What about the Kashmir under occupation in India? Ow, thousands of Indian soldiers are dead, thousands of Kashmiris are dead, nearly 7 organizations acting against India and struggling for their freedom.
Those "7" gangs you so proudly talk about are the brainchildren of your own 'establishment' against India. Were it not for Pakistani interference in Kashmir, those "7" gangs wouldn't have existed!

And when you talk of dispute the first thing one has in mind is anarchy, bitterest law and order situation, anti governmental movements. I dont see a single of such situaion in Gilgit rather in Azad Kashmir. Azad Kashmir has a seperated assembly that makes its own laws. The most peaceful area if compared to other areas of Pakistan.

What about the Kashmir under occupation in India? Ow, thousands of Indian soldiers are dead, thousands of Kashmiris are dead, nearly 7 organizations acting against India and struggling for their freedom. Point out even a single organization of such sort active in Azad Kashmir or Gilgit-Baltistan.

So the first line is in-authentic. That learned person couldn't understand this simple stats and starts writing against Pakistan. BS.

KIT Over

Wrong, the parts of Kashmir under Pakistani occupation are disputed, India has an instrument of accession, does Pakistan?

Yet another anti-Pakistan rant by Tom Hussain.

This guy has a history of venting anti-Pakistan venom...

Just type 'Tom Hussain' in their search box and you will see a long history of articles by this guy, all anti-Pakistan.

As for the substance, or lack thereof, in this editorial, it is nothing but the usual unsubstantiated anonymus official crap....

Debunk what the author says, can you. I would like to know what you can come up against "unsubstantiated official crap".

FYI, for much easier reading, I have boldfaced the POIs.

Gilgit-Baltistan

Gilgit-Baltistan (Urdu: گلگت بلتستان, Gilgit-Baltistān) is a non-self-governing territory under Pakistani control. The territory, which does not constitutionally form part of Pakistan proper, was formerly known as the Northern Areas (Urdu: شمالی علاقہ جات,
Shumālī Ilāqe Jāt).[3] It is the northernmost political entity within the Pakistani-controlled part of the former princely state of Jammu and Kashmir. It borders Afghanistan to the north, China to the northeast, the Pakistani-administered state of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) to the south, and the Indian-administered state of Jammu and Kashmir to the southeast. The territory became a single administrative unit in 1970 under the name "Northern Areas" and was formed by the amalgamation of the Gilgit Agency, the Baltistan District of the Ladakh Wazarat, and the states of Hunza and Nagar. With its administrative center at the town of Gilgit, Gilgit-Baltistan covers an area of 72,971 km² (28,174 mi²) and has an estimated population approaching 1,000,000. The territory is part of the larger disputed territory of Kashmir and has been in dispute between India, Pakistan, and China since 1947.

Please do research subjects before you post.

Exploring wikipedia gives you reasearch? You didn't get what I said, thick head. I said Gilgit is a part of Azad Kashmir (Independent Kashmir). The disputed one is the one which is under Indian Occupation. Reasons I have already given.

So I recommend you read the whole post before you show your copy paste proficiancy.

KIT Over n Out

Wrong, the parts of Kashmir under Pakistani occupation are disputed, India has an instrument of accession, does Pakistan?

What instrument of accession? A fake request of unification with India against the rules set by the award or the nearly a million Indian troops?

Let say for a 0.0001 second that Indian Kashmir is not disputed than answer my question that why did you people fail to stop the "insurgency" there? Why people are dying? Why Indian troops are dying? Why are there a number of seperatist movements?

I again say give me a single organization that does the same in Azad Kashmir...

KIT Over n Out

Exploring wikipedia gives you reasearch? You didn't get what I said, thick head. I said Gilgit is a part of Azad Kashmir (Independent Kashmir). The disputed one is the one which is under Indian Occupation. Reasons I have already given.

So I recommend you read the whole post before you show your copy paste proficiancy.

KIT Over n Out

Are you mental?
Gilgit part of P-0-K aka AK? Are you kidding me? If that was the case what was Pakistani Election commission doing conducting elections in G-B areas allowing mainstream Pakistani political parties to participate in those elections? And we all thought P-0-K had its own assembly and administration!

Do you even know the history about kashmir or why Pakistan considers it disputed?

And yes, I was showing off my copy-paste abilities! You see I am a newbie, learning copy-paste everyday. Pity it didn't help you understand facts. Anyhow, we now know your level of understanding about this matter. I rest my case. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom