What's new

Pashto words in Urdu

dont take it personally, i have nothing against Pushto
As if i am taking offense.......which words , that i have shared , are Farsi words? (can you read Urdu script?)

People from Hyderabad Daccan as well as some other people from transplanted Pashtun populations that later began speaking Urdu still have inherited words, although few and far between. I've heard a Badayuni say ghaT for big, and Hyderabadis as a routine say aauu for yes.

People from Hyderabad Daccan as well as some other people from transplanted Pashtun populations that later began speaking Urdu still have inherited words, although few and far between. I've heard a Badayuni say ghaT for big, and Hyderabadis as a routine say aauu for yes.
Very interesting.....Pashtun tribes like Panni and Miyana, did settle in large numbers in Deccan

1.png

1.png

1.png

i dont get it, if pushto was the base of urdu language then why do urdu speakers can understand Punjabi to some extent but can not understand a very basic sentence of Pushto. I am Hindko speaker, my father's village is only a walk away from KPK borders, in this village almost everyone can speak Urdu and their only medium of learning urdu was Radio Pakistan and they speak without any accent.

Last edited:
1.png

i dont get it, if pushto was the base of urdu language then why do urdu speakers can understand Punjabi to some extent but can not understand a very basic sentence of Pushto. I am Hindko speaker, my father's village is only a walk away from KPK borders, in this village almost everyone can speak Urdu and their only medium of learning urdu was Radio Pakistan and they speak without any accent.
There are lot of Turki words in Urdu but you dont understand any sentence in Turki......in the same way Farsi passes over your head even though Urdu has very large number of Farsi words

View attachment 343845

There are lot of Turki words in Urdu but you dont understand any sentence in Turki......in the same way Farsi passes over your head even though Urdu has very large number of Farsi words

I can understand 50% of farsi in written form, Turkish words arent as many. you's be surprised to know how close urdu is to farsi once you read anything in farsi

Do you think people use 'waleti' for Pashtuns?
1.png

Reference: The Rise of the Indo-Afghan Empire: C. 1710-1780 - Page 10 by Jos J. L. Gommans

Rohillas , the Indo-Pashtuns of 18th century, popularized the term Wilayat in India as they used to call their Rohilkhand (Western U.P) Wilayat......Urdu Is spoken in Western U.P so from the Rohillas Hindustanis started using the word Wilayat and Wilayati in Urdu with specific context and meaning......With advent of British, the usage of the word got shifted to them who were now the new foreigners while Rohillas had Indianized.....

Last edited:
View attachment 343856

Reference: The Rise of the Indo-Afghan Empire: C. 1710-1780 - Page 10 by Jos J. L. Gommans

Rohillas , the Indo-Pashtuns of 18th century, popularized the term Wilayat in India as they used to call their Rohilkhand (Western U.P) Wilayat......Urdu Is spoken in Western U.P so from the Rohillas Hindustanis started using the word Wilayat and Wilayati in Urdu with specific context and meaning......With advent of British, the usage of the word got shifted to them who were now the new foreigners while Rohillas had Indianized.....

Interesting. So North-Western South Asian territories mentioned here refer to Afghanistan? Btw do Pashtuns use 'wilayati' term for Europeans/British or not?

Interesting. So North-Western South Asian territories mentioned here refer to Afghanistan? Btw do Pashtuns use 'wilayati' term for Europeans/British or not?
No, they dont. In Afghanistan , Wilayati simply means provincial ......same is the meaning of Wilayati in Pashto of Pakistan though usage of word "Subah" is in practice like rest of Pakistan.

Mughals also referred to provinces/regions of North-West as Wilayat e.g Wilayat-i-Kabul, Wilayat-i-Peshawar etc. ..........Khursan and Iran were also called Wilayat by Mughals. The provinces of proper India of Mughal empire were called "Subah" , and its divisions as "Sarkar".......In Pre-Mughal Delhi Sultanates , the term for province was "Iqta".

books.google.com.pk_2016-10-16_13-39-46.png

Last edited:
No, they dont. In Afghanistan , Wilayati simply means provincial ......same is the meaning of Wilayati in Pashto of Pakistan though usage of word "Subah" is in practice like rest of Pakistan.

Mughals also referred to provinces/regions of North-West as Wilayat e.g Wilayat-i-Kabul, Wilayat-i-Peshawar etc. ..........Khursan and Iran were also called Wilayat by Mughals. The provinces of proper India of Mughal empire were called "Subah" , and its divisions as "Sarkar".......In Pre-Mughal Delhi Sultanates , the term for province was "Iqta".

View attachment 343895

So the word 'بدیسی' badesi, is used for Europeans, as the book says? It also says that 'badesi maal' is referred to as 'wilayati maal' with specific reference to Europeans/British only.

Back
Top Bottom