What's new

Parvez Elahi to become CM Punjab - PTI

The ruling Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) has announced PML-Q leader Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi as its candidate for Punjab chief minister, the party formally announced.

In a message on Twitter, the prime minister's aide on political communication, Shahbaz Gill, made the announcement.
article

Additionally confirmed by Fawad Chaudhary.

Last edited:
Blockchain is the answer - according to my limited understanding of Blockchain.
I am not sure if people would actually understand this. The electorate needs to be able to trust the system, & for that they need to see that its results are verifiable. The key is trust, not technology. We should run EVMs parallel with manual paper-based count until their effectiveness, reliability, & speed makes its place in our political ecosystem.

But I must say that my understanding of blockchain does not extend to a one-time event. Typically, blockchain keeps complete record of multiple transactions relating to a single thing (whether physical or electronic thing). Complete transparency & traceability establishes authenticity of transactions. It may be applied to, say, property purchase to good effect. But I do not see its value as it applies to voting. Would people want records of their voting available for scrutiny? I don't think so. It could open the way for targeting of individual voters for whatever reason - political ads, information or misinformation, scrutiny of tax records by a government that does not like their political choices, etc....

This may not be such a good idea after all.

The timing of elections has to be crucial for IK. He needs another 5 years to get Pakistani economy on firm footings. Otherwise we will never be able to recover from this quagmire. He will require a stable government with decent majority and ruling in at least Punjab, Sindh and NWFP for there to be a stable setup.
A

Blockchain is the answer - according to my limited understanding of Blockchain.
It's not so simple. A framework has to be established based on the use case for the blockchain. PoW and PoS are the main frameworks in use today. NFT's are going the Solana route with PoS and Ethereum as their basis.

You could in theory link all NIC's to a single vote and develop a staking mechanism whereby the NIC owner "stakes" his vote by a mechanism, be it EVM or some other digital transaction (app etc) through biometric verification.

This would in theory remove all "fake votes" and stuffing and would provide the user with a clear transparent history of their "staking" in the government system.

Apparently this would eliminate the need for dedicated polling booths and you could have an election virtually everyday "cost-free" (no printing votes etc). It would open up the doors to direct democracy.

I am not sure if people would actually understand this. The electorate needs to be able to trust the system, & for that they need to see that its results are verifiable. The key is trust, not technology. We should run EVMs parallel with manual paper-based count until their effectiveness, reliability, & speed makes its place in our political ecosystem.

But I must say that my understanding of blockchain does not extend to a one-time event. Typically, blockchain keeps complete record of multiple transactions relating to a single thing (whether physical or electronic thing). Complete transparency & traceability establishes authenticity of transactions. It may be applied to, say, property purchase to good effect. But I do not see its value as it applies to voting. Would people want records of their voting available for scrutiny? I don't think so. It could open the way for targeting of individual voters for whatever reason - political ads, information or misinformation, scrutiny of tax records by a government that does not like their political choices, etc....

They don't need to. You don't even need a dedicated EVM, please see my previous post.

Imran Khan took the right decision by not installing a big player as CM Punjab. Imagine how powerful the likes of Aleem Khan would be after 3 years of Punjab's CM-ship. They would have blackmailed Imran Khan into doing all kinds of stupid stuff, including NROs and what not. Jehangir Tareen would have pressured the government into dropping all cases against him in the NAB, and would have got billions of rupees in illegal subsidies for his sugar industries. And Pervaiz Elahi could have created another bloc in Punjab to undermine the PTI's mandate in Punjab.

At this moment, Pervaiz Elahi's ascention to CMship became inevitable. It just had to be done. Let's hope, there is good in this, for Imran in the future.

Buzdar's CMship also taught us how irrelevant the CM is when it comes to good governance in provinces; the bureaucracy has the most responsibility. This will be an incentive to give more power to local governments, and create new provinces in the future, for administration purposes.
Solid points here.

Imran Khan made the right call here by giving CMship to Pervaiz Elahi. There are already competing groups in PTI Punjab. Elahi will be a neutral candidate.

Creation of new provinces is very important. It will serve for better administration and weaken the power of present Provinces who blackmail the Federal Govt.

I still Believe in The Decision of IK to make Buzdar the CM of Punjab was perfect

Haters gonna Hate

I totally agree. If voters don't have trust and confidence in system no matter what you use it would be called suspicious. Bcz we have cultivated a culture of dishonesty. And sadly PTI is proving only marginal improvement if any.
Where people beg young ones or bank guards to help them in using atm card to get BISP money how many aged voters will be comfortable with EVMs?

Totally correct. Chaudhries are masters at playing with numbers. In a fractured polity they would play the role of king-makers just as JUI did in 1970s. Mufti Mehmood (Molana Fazal-ur-Rehman's father) became CM NWFP with very few seats.

This is a quirk of Parliamentary democracy. This is how a member of parliament from a minority party can become the chief executive of a province or a country. This feature has pros & cons, but I think pros out-weigh the cons in a multi-ethnic country.

In any case, if Pervez Elahi does become CM Punjab (it is still a question mark until votes are cast) then Punjab would be slightly better off in many ways. Do note that if this comes to pass, expect Chaudhries to prepare rigging just as in 2008 where many constituencies reported 25 K votes when in fact PML-Q polling offices had no traffic at all (I saw it myself in multiple polling stations in Lahore). They had purchased CNICs from thousands of poor people in months leading up to GE 2008 - I think newspapers reported it as 3-5K per card. That was a lot of public money finding its way to the poor via Chaudhries & their machinery.
Bro what's especially funny to me is that Ch Pervaiz Elahi did an interview just a few days ago insulting PTI and IK on live TV. He made a comment about establishment changing nappies of Imran and his party for 3 years and now they wont anymore. A few days ago this man was part of the corrupt, foreign backed, paid off by America pact against PTI. Today's he's on his way to be CM. Lmao.

Absolutely not wala tou punjab k daku k samnay leth giya hahaha

This is the “leader” who doesn’t bow down to America but lays down to a couple of thugs of MQM and pmlq

Kuch sharam kuch haya?

Bro what's especially funny to me is that Ch Pervaiz Elahi did an interview just a few days ago insulting PTI and IK on live TV. He made a comment about establishment changing nappies of Imran and his party for 3 years and now they wont anymore. A few days ago this man was part of the corrupt, foreign backed, paid off by America pact against PTI. Today's he's on his way to be CM. Lmao.

In chatneyo ko kuch farq nahi pareinga

Ik is showing love letters of Reham Khan and poori Qom e youth is like America is threatening IK through letters

Hahaha

Yeh to acha hai America nay ignore kya hai warna niazi nay is par bi UtuRn Lena hai

Back
Top Bottom