What's new

Palestinian refugee in India feels '95% Indian'

EjazR

Reaction score
Palestinian refugee rendered stateless in India - Chennai - City - The Times of India

UDHAGAMANDALAM: More than 4 million Palestinian refugees live in West Asia with UN agency's help, but the story of a 38-year-old Palestinian living in India for 19 years is more poignant than that of his unfortunate compatriots elsewhere. Ibrahim Saleh Ahmad Abu Hamed is stateless and will be homeless, but for some charitable friends in Ooty.

Ibrahim who came to India in September 1991 to pursue a degree in pharmacy but by the time he laboured to complete his course, greater misfortune was in store for him. In 2001, he met with a road accident that put him into coma for over three months. And by the time he recovered, his visa had expired and neither Egypt, which gave him travel documents in the first place, nor any other country came to his aid.

Ibrahim, who is 38 but looks much older, has suffered spells of imprisonment for want of valid papers. He has now found shelter in the neighbourhood of Jamia Masjid', a Muslim shrine in the hill town. "People in and around this place help me with food," he said.

Recounting his story, Ibrahim said he was about 18 when he arrived on a student visa obtained in Saudi Arabia, where his father, a refugee displaced by the Arab-Israeli conflict, was working as a school teacher. As he was weak in English, he took seven years to complete the first two years of his course at JSS College of Pharmacy, Ooty, but finished the third and fourth year without delay. It was October 2000 when he got his results, but he had to wait for some more months to get his degree certificate.

However, on February 10, 2001, riding a scooter at night in poor visibility, he crashed into the railings of a bridge close to Wellington near Ooty. Sustaining a head injury, he slipped into coma. The college management shifted him to a hospital in Coimbatore for advanced treatment and footed the bill amount of Rs three lakh. "The college took care of the entire bill. I was discharged and sent back to Ooty," he recalled.

Tragically for Ibrahim, his travel documents expired as he lay in coma and it could not be renewed thereafter. His stay in the country was rendered illegal. "I didn't get any reply when I approached the Egyptian Embassy as I am a refugee," he said.

His college retained his degree certificate, saying he could get it back only after he reimbursed the medical expenses incurred by the institution. His treatment continued for six years. "People who knew me helped me get food and medicine," he said and added that his father died in 2006. His family had by then moved to Palestine from Saudi Arabia, but the money he was getting from home stopped.

In between he was under detention for two spells for more than three years. And he was also slapped with a notice to leave India. " Financial constraints and deteriorating health have made me helpless."

Nilgiris police superintendent S Kaliraj Mahesh Kumar said Ibrahim's papers had been sent to the Union government through proper channel. "We are waiting for a reply from the government," the SP said. According to the district administration, a reply from the Palestinian government is also awaited so that he could be sent back to Palestine.

However, Ibrahim said with a grin, "I have lived in India for about 20 years. As far as I am concerned, I am 95% Indian." He adds, "I don't want to return home a beggar." But his main regret is that he wakes up with the feeling that he is an illegal resident in India.

Good work by India we are rock solid behind our Palestinian brothers and sisters. And India will continue to support their cause and help them in whatever resalable way we can.

This case should be mark special and he should be given Citizenship of India. I know its not fair but he is one who has upheld the India's views and culture.

I didn’t know that Palestinian refugees live in India. Their residency should be made legal until Palestinian issue is solved

On a related note do Kashmiris in indian occupied Jammu & Kashmir feel 95% Indian or even 5% indian? :pop:

On a related note do Kashmiris in indian occupied Jammu & Kashmir feel 95% Indian or even 5% indian? :pop:

If that is a rhetorical question, it needs to be relegated to a troll. If not, check out a post by Ejaz where it is shown that Kashmiris in India feel more Indian than they feel Pakistani. So basically, it is none of your business.

If that is a rhetorical question, it needs to be relegated to a troll. If not, check out a post by Ejaz where it is shown that Kashmiris in India feel more Indian than they feel Pakistani. So basically, it is none of your business.

Oh i believe you and Ejaz are 100% spreading barathi propaganda.

And IT IS MY BUSINESS when they the oppressed Kashmiris in iNDIAN OCCUPIED KASHMIR behave as such.

They HATE indians. You can't even walk there with protection of the barathi army. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see India supporting the Palestinians.

Great gesture.:tup:

We love the palestine ppl and india will continue to help and support palestine. .

Great work..... Its Indeed a Very Noble cause India is doing, unlike some who only show Sympathy and In the break of time fold their hands

So do they also consider Israeli terrorist acts as legal just like India is supporting Israeli terrorism against Palestinians ??

So do they also consider Israeli terrorist acts as legal just like India is supporting Israeli terrorism against Palestinians ??

You are creating Un Necessary Confusion , India has Condemned the action of Israel like any other country and Has also Donated Palestine a Package of Aid As what we could do and accept there refugees.... Do You expect us to Catch there Leg and Beg to stop There actions, Why Pakistan is playing Double games????

And oh BTW Indian Orange Media should stop telling naked lies by saying Palestinian refugees in India.

Please come up with official figures that how many Palestinian refugees are in India Otherwise STOP your orange lies by presenting the case of ONE Palestinian man who came to India for study NOT as Refugee

Back
Top Bottom