What's new

Pakistan's UAV - Drone developments

there have been reports that NESCOM have also developed a laser guided missile to arm the future drones and may be attack helicopters as well.

currently we do use air launched version of biktar Shikan missile with our Cobras.

the new missile developed is lighter in weight making it possible to be carried by Armed UAV/Drones

by the ways of NESCOM, it not a news break at all. we have ssen them developing great value platform in past and one only come to know about them when they are test fired.
Babur Missile is a classic example.
so are the H-2 and H-4 glide bombs that are still under thick cover of secreacy.

regards!

Last edited:
^^AA123, you meant to write UAV! correct?
Please clarify this UCAV confusion.

sort of..
to be carried by a UAV (unmanned air vehicle) converting it into an UCAV (unmanned Combate air Vehicle).:)

i agree that now with the development of systems like X-45, the concept of UCAV is changing,
perhaps i should have said armed UAV or drone!!
thanks for pointing out, i have edited my post.

regards!

Last edited:
AAI Corporation

RQ-7B Shadow
D;0
Cu;0
On Order;12

- Note: Media reports from 21st January 2010 detailed plans for the United States to provide Pakistan with 12 Shadow UAV systems, with an order placed during the following weeks.

AFI.

Pakistani Army to Buy Approved Predator Drones

11 August 2010

The Pakistani Army plans to acquire Predator XP drones, an export-approved version, from General Atomics Aeronautical Systems (GAAS).

Predator A or Predator XP type product drones are unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) known for launching successful strikes against high-profile militants.

A ten-aircraft Predator system, consisting of ground stations and software, would cost $400m with the price of one Predator ranging from $4m to $15m.

GAAS, the US-based company that makes Predators, said it had approval to sell the export-approved version of the UAV to countries other than the US, Nato members, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.

GAAS spokesperson Kimberly A Kasitz said the company had approached the US State Department for a licence to begin negotiations for such a sale with Pakistan and other Middle Eastern countries.

Pakistani Army to Buy Approved Predator Drones

11 August 2010

The Pakistani Army plans to acquire Predator XP drones, an export-approved version, from General Atomics Aeronautical Systems (GAAS).

Predator A or Predator XP type product drones are unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) known for launching successful strikes against high-profile militants.

A ten-aircraft Predator system, consisting of ground stations and software, would cost $400m with the price of one Predator ranging from $4m to $15m.

GAAS, the US-based company that makes Predators, said it had approval to sell the export-approved version of the UAV to countries other than the US, Nato members, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.

GAAS spokesperson Kimberly A Kasitz said the company had approached the US State Department for a licence to begin negotiations for such a sale with Pakistan and other Middle Eastern countries.

What does export approved version means? or by export approved version do they mean a down graded version of predator? Still if it fires missile.....should be fine for us till buraq gets operational.

What does export approved version means? or by export approved version do they mean a down graded version of predator? Still if it fires missile.....should be fine for us till buraq gets operational.

infact the Burraq may also get its share of benifits from any such deal.
the high tech structure of predator , better engine, sophisticated all weather targeting and communication systems will indirectly help Burraq project.
However, saying all this, I personally don’t really like the idea of spending another 400million $ in a fragile venture with US, really unreliable!!
The thing is that we are successful making smaller UAVs, NESCOM Is reported to have developed a targeting system and laser guided missile. This means we are all set for an indigenous drone.
If any assistance is required at all, China and Turkey are a thousand times better then US cooperation.

I would not like any further high end front line machines with US tags in Pak inventory. This is my personal approach!

Regards!

there have been reports that NESCOM have also developed a laser guided missile to arm the future drones and may be attack helicopters as well.

currently we do use air launched version of biktar Shikan missile with our Cobras.

Bakhtar Shikan is wire guided . Cant be good for UCAV.

Also i find it hard to believe about Pakistan developing Laser Guided Missile. I think we will go for either HJ9 or Turkish Anti Tanks LRAT.

Bakhtar Shikan is wire guided . Cant be good for UCAV.

Also i find it hard to believe about Pakistan developing Laser Guided Missile. I think we will go for either HJ9 or Turkish Anti Tanks LRAT.

then u must not believe on development of Babur & RA'AD cruise missile by Pakistan, either.

I think that would be without satellite control option.
not same as US predators, which are piloted from US.

AAI Corporation

RQ-7B Shadow
D;0
Cu;0
On Order;12

- Note: Media reports from 21st January 2010 detailed plans for the United States to provide Pakistan with 12 Shadow UAV systems, with an order placed during the following weeks.

AFI.

You will find this very interesting. And should answer all those who said that an unarmed Shadow is not what the PAF needs.
Also check the link for a nice photo:

ATK Offers Miniature Precision Guided Weapon for Unmanned Aerial Systems - Defense-Update

ATK is developing a lightweight precision guided munition, compact and light enough to be carried by the dozens or even hundreds by unmanned aerial aircraft. The new glide weapon is packed into a conformal container launcher carried under the wing of the Shadow, fitted on top of the strut root. Upon release the weapon’s fins are extracted and three airfoils pop into place, as the weapon glides on its path to the ground. As the three laser detectors are activated, they seek laser signals reflected from the designated target. Once the laser spot is detected, the weapon’s flight control processor computes the necessary corrections and activates the tail fins to point the weapon on the course homing in on the spot, hitting the target with high precision.
The weapon weighs about six pounds (2.7 kg). Its hand-grenade size warhead makes more than half that weight (about four pounds or 1.8 kg). The resulting effect offers maximum lethality against exposed targets, with minimal collateral damage to their surrounding.

Persistence and immediate response close air support based on such weapons has the potential to transform combined air/ground operations, as UAVs loitering above a ground combat element could continuously support ground forces through sustained combat engagements, without the logistical and operational burden when rotating through rearmament or replenishment cycles. Brigades could rely on their own Small UAVs assets like the Shadow, each carrying four weapons in addition to the standard ISR and radio relay payloads. Larger drones will employ multiple ejector racks packing 12 weapons or more, each loaded rack could be carried under a pylon currently carrying Hellfire missiles. Therefore, an MQ-1A Predator currently carrying two Hellfires will carry 24 of the new weapons. A similar load will be carried by the MQ-5B Hunter, while the MQ-1C Grey Eagle will be able to carry twice that load. The Air Forces’ MQ-9 Reaper will be able to carry 72 units and the A-160 destined for the Special Operations Command will haul over 200 such weapons.

The miniature guided weapon currently under development could, potentially, replace current cluster weapons banned by international treaties. When employed in weapon systems, individually targeted guided weapons could be directed to scatter over the area to focus on specific target location, guided by GPS – or disperse over a specific area in a pattern maximizing the desired effect. Optional carriers such as new cruise missiles, or loitering weapons, will be able to employ such guided submunitions to attack multiple targets along their flight path, on a single mission.

Last edited:
Coming back to Topic, One more thing I am allowed to add here is (Yes I did confirm its no top secret and indians are not waiting for someone to post it for them) is our embrace to new tactics including use of drones which emmit RCS of a known aircraft in order to fool/clutter/overwhelm the ground based enemy radars. I saw such a thing myself in Singapore where Israelis were showcasing their drones with this capability.
Israelis have already used such tactics and thats awesome to know such tactics are not limited to them.

by

EagleHannan

Uqab Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)

UqabUAV-10-large.jpg

UqabUAV-11-large.jpg

UqabUAV-12-large.jpg

Russians being one of the major powers in the world are shifting for the procurement of Israeli UAVs. this will not indicate that they are not able in this field but this shows their priorities ... thier economy is their top most priority right now .... so instead of investing heavily and wait for couple of years to see their out put they decided to induct foreign systems .... so that they can get the time bracket for their economy and also seek some technology from advance developers ... and i think in couple of years they will come with bang with something new and exciting as they have doing so ... i think Pakistan should also think on same grounds ...

Back
Top Bottom