What's new

Pakistan's UAV - Drone developments

@That Guy

Of course you guys have them by now, but didn't test them yet ;) right?

Who knows? Maybe we have them, maybe we're still working on them. Considering that the Pakistani public has no appetite for armed drones, I don't know if PA would admit to anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who knows? Maybe we have them, maybe we're still working on them. Considering that the Pakistani public has no appetite for armed drones, I don't know if PA would admit to anything.

That's not what Aeronutz said :lol:
@Aeronaut

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Eid to you too :)

Anyways, not officially. Pakistan is officially known to be working on armed drones, but unofficially Pakistan may already be operating them. Pakistan has previously announced that it would be buying Chinese armed drones the *CH-3 (more info on that at the bottom) capable of firing blue arrow missiles, which are rumored to be around the same effectiveness as a hellfire missile that the predator carries.

There were 2 suspicious drone attacks in february of this year which the CIA denied were theirs, which means that if their telling the truth, then either the Burraq UCAV that Pakistan has been working on was used, or a Chinese UCAV was used.

The Burraq UAV is said to still be in development, but some folks on the forums have suggested that the drone is operational, but is only being hidden due to perceived Pakistani public negativity towards armed UAVs, though none of them have proven their claims and I have no reason to believe them.

*Suspiciously, the CH-3 uses the same body frame as the Shahpur, leading many to believe that China transferred the technology of the drone to Pakistan, and that Pakistan's Shahpur UAV may unofficially be armed, though that has never been proven. The CH-3 agreement was also thought to include the upgrade of the system to the CH-4 UAV, also known to carry weapons. The CH-4 uses a similar looking air-frame to the predator UAV.

Here are some pictures for comparisons...

CH-3 UCAV
35kmyw8.jpg

Shahpur UAV
82437249.jpg

CH-4 UCAV
CH-4_medium_altitude_long-endurance_MALE_tactical_UAV_AirShow_China_2012_aviation_aerospace_exhibition_640_002.jpg

Predator UCAV
predatorb_1.jpg

Does Pakistan have UCAVs? You be the judge, because at this point, I have no clue.

I also believe that copied version of Preditor is the Burraq or may be PAC has designed something similar too. But PAF might not disclose the presence of Burraq for long.

He's a good guy and more knowledgeable than me and most people on the forums. Perhaps he's right?

You guys both are great. But, since he said that the PA has already obtained handful of CH3s, then I take his word as it is.

China Provides Key to Pakistani Bandwidth Requirements

Mar. 27, 2013 - 08:19AM | By USMAN ANSARI

ISLAMABAD — Pakistan continues to transform its military into a network-enabled force but will remain reliant on China to provide the bandwidth.

According to the military, its improved communication and surveillance capabilities, through employment of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance assets such as UAVs, aerial imaging and early warning platforms, were first resolutely tested in the Azm-e-Nau/New Resolve exercise in 2010.

However, according to Brian Cloughley, former Australian defense attaché to Islamabad, full communication and networking capabilities have not yet trickled down to front-line units, although at higher levels, this could be a different picture.

“Communications in the Army seem to me to be pretty basic, but of course all I’ve actually seen are the command posts and so forth in Mohmand and Swat; the higher-level arrangements, as in all armies, are strictly out of bounds to any but those with highest clearance.”

Pakistan may already be sharing bandwidth on Chinese satellites, he said. Despite the size of the Pakistani military and its recent modernization efforts, some analysts do not believe Pakistan requires a dedicated military communications satellite, and that an arrangement with China should be sufficient for its needs.

Elizabeth Quintana, senior research fellow in air power and technology at the Royal United Services Institute think tank, said this is not unusual.

“Many countries buy bandwidth from allied nations or commercial suppliers. The U.S. military is 80 percent reliant on commercial SATCOM, for example, and that is not likely to change,” she said. However, she said it is not impossible that Pakistan would consider developing its own indigenous satellite communications assets.

“Having an indigenous SATCOM capability is largely a political decision [for national prestige, etc.] and, in some ways, may be a military decision if they believe they need an independent SATCOM capability and/or one that they could also offer to allies in return for access to other assets, such as Beidou [the Chinese GPS equivalent],” Quintana said.

Pakistan’s satellite capabilities are at a very early stage, however, so no such decision is expected soon.

While relying on Chinese satellite assets would seem highly advantageous, Quintana highlights some drawbacks.

“Using Chinese SATCOM would definitely hinder the Pakistanis from obtaining U.S. equipment that requires the use of SATCOM — MALE [medium-altitude, long-endurance] UAVs, such as Predator, for example,” she said.

Such an arrangement would give Beijing considerable influence over its South Asian ally.

“This is the problem for any small nation wishing to take advantage of investments that larger, more powerful allies have already made,” Quintana said.

Benefits Pakistan could derive from sharing bandwidth on a Chinese satellite, Quintana said, include access to a dedicated asset it may not be able to acquire for itself and access to China’s Beidou satellites. And in times of conflict, an enemy might refrain from attacking these assets for fear of drawing China into the fight.

“Additionally, if Pakistani systems utilize multiple [positioning, navigating and targeting] systems Beidou/GPS/Glonass/Galileo, it enhances resilience in the event of service failure or jamming,” Quintana said.

Having access to Chinese satellites would give Pakistan a signals relay capability, the lack of which has hindered the operation of MALE and high-altitude, long-endurance (HALE) UAVs.

The data-link range of Pakistan’s tactical UAVs is stated as 200 to 250 kilometers.

Raja Sabri Khan, chief executive of Integrated Dynamics, a high-profile Pakistan UAV developer, said designing new types with the “performances to allow utilization of satellite communication links to their fullest potential” could become reality with a SATCOM capability.

All of the technological building blocks and technologies to develop MALE UAVs are in place, he said.

For more local use of MALE UAVs, he said, “simpler systems, such as repeaters [used commonly to boost cellular signals for increased coverage and range], can fill in as alternatives for thousands of kilometers of range if you plan to fly over your own territory”.

A SATCOM capability is a necessity for maritime patrol, an area where the Navy has started to operate tactical UAVs, and for the operation of HALE-type UAVs, Khan said.

Pakistan should offer Saudi Arabia, UAE, Jordan, Oman and other GCC(Qatar, Bahrain and Kuwait) to join in the development of two types of Satellites system:

Communication Satellites
Navigational Satellites

As there would be good number of both types of Satellites covering the whole eath on fixed orbits and will offer complete coverage for Navigation as well as for Communication.

And we can earn good deal of money from them too by lending some bandwidth as well as GPS facilities to others.

You guys both are great. But, since he said that the PA has already obtained handful of CH3s, then I take his word as it is.

But can you change your AVATAR and Picture to any decent looking thing. I mean try not to use such animals nor any living thing in pictures. Rather you can place you favorite weapons or jets instead.

But can you change your AVATAR and Picture to any decent looking thing. I mean try not to use such animals nor any living thing in pictures. Rather you can place you favorite weapons or jets instead.

Will try my best Sir.

I also believe that copied version of Preditor is the Burraq or may be PAC has designed something similar too. But PAF might not disclose the presence of Burraq for long.

The Burraq is rumored to be a heavily modified Falco UAV, which Pakistan has a licence from Italy to mass produce.

If you look at it, you'll notice that it looks nothing like a Predator.
falco.jpg

Thanks, I do too.

I've always known that PA ordered the CH-3, but I just never knew if the armed versions were delivered.

^^ Burraq had been under development much earlier than contract with falco.
It has nothing to do with falco, which is entirely different platform.

^^ Burraq had been under development much earlier than contract with falco.
It has nothing to do with falco, which is entirely different platform.

Burraq is a concept, dare I say it, just a code name for the project. Before the Falco, it was said that Pakistan was trying to use it's own medium sized drones to develop a UCAV, after the Falco, NESCOM was said to start using Falco platform after it's induction, because it was the most capable drone (and arguably still is) in Pakistan's UAV inventory. The Shahpar was said to also be a candidate in the Burraq program, but since GIDS is the one behind the Shahpar program, I doubt it.

^^ Things are not as you like to see them.
Burraq has been in development far early than falco.

Burraq is not a concept and is totally different platform than falco.

GIDS already had UQAB and even inducted by navy, much before falco, it looks like falco perhaps its this one you are confusing.

Pakistan has list of operational UAVs .. like SATUMA, Flamingo etc.

^^ Things are not as you like to see them.
Burraq has been in development far early than falco.

Burraq is not a concept and is totally different platform than falco.

GIDS already had UQAB and even inducted by navy, much before falco, it looks like falco perhaps its this one you are confusing.

Pakistan has list of operational UAVs .. like SATUMA, Flamingo etc.

I don't even know how to respond to this comment. The amount of information (including my comment) about the drones that you're outright ignoring, is outstanding. It seems that politics isn't the only thing we disagree on.

I have a question for you, what is the platform for the Burraq? Do you know how it looks like?

RAWALPINDI: Pakistan has inducted the first fleet of indigenously developed Strategic Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) also referred to as drones, Burraq and Shahpur in the Army and Air Force.

A press release by the media wing of the armed forces (ISPR) called the induction a “historic and landmark event, wherein a very effective force multiplier has been added to the inventory of the Armed Forces.” According to the ISPR, in the future these UAVs could also be gainfully employed in various socio-economic development projects as well.

The induction ceremony was attended by Army Chief, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, Chief of Air Staff, Air Chief Marshall Tahir Rafique, Director General Strategic Plans Divisions, General (retd) Khalid Ahmed Kidwai, senior officers from Armed Forces, scientists and engineers.

Army Chief Kayani while appreciating the work of NESCOM scientists and engineers, highlighted that induction of indigenously developed surveillance capable UAVs in Pakistan Armed Forces is a force multiplier, and will substantially enhance their target acquisition capabilities in real time.

Earlier on Monday, Army Chief Kayani paid a farewell visit to Air Headquarters in Islamabad. During his visit, the Army chief called on Air Chief Marshall Tahir Rafique Butt. The Air Chief lauded General Kayani’s services in strengthening the defence of Pakistan and contributing towards unprecedented Tri-Service synergy.

UAVs inducted in Pakistan Army and Air fleet - thenews.com.pk

Quad-rotors and Hexa-Rotors — VR — Goggles ---- Defense Exhibition 2012:

19_idea-01.jpg

NRTC had a high-tech version of that at IDEAS, called the Air Scout. This unmanned aerial system (UAS) has search and rescue abilities, urban surveillance and counter-terrorism potential. The built-in cameras can provide live video feeds and can be customised for thermal imaging, night vision, extended flight or weather proofing. Imagine the advantages of having one hovering between buildings and reporting on the proceedings at a rally, procession, protest or dharna! The system comes with a cool set of goggles that provide the pilot with point of view video for controlling the craft.

RAWALPINDI: Pakistan has inducted the first fleet of indigenously developed Strategic Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) also referred to as drones, Burraq and Shahpur in the Army and Air Force.

A press release by the media wing of the armed forces (ISPR) called the induction a “historic and landmark event, wherein a very effective force multiplier has been added to the inventory of the Armed Forces.” According to the ISPR, in the future these UAVs could also be gainfully employed in various socio-economic development projects as well.

The induction ceremony was attended by Army Chief, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, Chief of Air Staff, Air Chief Marshall Tahir Rafique, Director General Strategic Plans Divisions, General (retd) Khalid Ahmed Kidwai, senior officers from Armed Forces, scientists and engineers.

Army Chief Kayani while appreciating the work of NESCOM scientists and engineers, highlighted that induction of indigenously developed surveillance capable UAVs in Pakistan Armed Forces is a force multiplier, and will substantially enhance their target acquisition capabilities in real time.

Earlier on Monday, Army Chief Kayani paid a farewell visit to Air Headquarters in Islamabad. During his visit, the Army chief called on Air Chief Marshall Tahir Rafique Butt. The Air Chief lauded General Kayani’s services in strengthening the defence of Pakistan and contributing towards unprecedented Tri-Service synergy.

UAVs inducted in Pakistan Army and Air fleet - thenews.com.pk

Quad-rotors and Hexa-Rotors — VR — Goggles ---- Defense Exhibition 2012:

View attachment 11114

NRTC had a high-tech version of that at IDEAS, called the Air Scout. This unmanned aerial system (UAS) has search and rescue abilities, urban surveillance and counter-terrorism potential. The built-in cameras can provide live video feeds and can be customised for thermal imaging, night vision, extended flight or weather proofing. Imagine the advantages of having one hovering between buildings and reporting on the proceedings at a rally, procession, protest or dharna! The system comes with a cool set of goggles that provide the pilot with point of view video for controlling the craft.

I think all the three divisions must induct these system as soon as possible...

Back
Top Bottom