What's new

Pakistan’s trade deficit falls by 30% to $11.64b

Secondly we have just concluded Pak-China FTA-2 which will increse our export upto 4 Bill USD in 4 years.

Its potential is to increase by $1 billion per year but in my opinion, exports will be increased by $300-400 millions per year. Anyways better than nothing.

Secondly we have just concluded Pak-China FTA-2 which will increse our export upto 4 Bill USD in 4 years.
Please don't count the chicken before the eggs hatch.

Diversification of exports (and the domestic industrial base for import substitution) is obviously a problem and has been highlighted by the current government's economic team. There is no short term solution here though. Completely local products produced by local companies will face headwinds in terms of marketing and acceptance by the local market in the face of more established foreign brands. Foreign investment (either wholly MNC owned or with local partners) is something that can't be forced through incentives alone - there is an ongoing tedious process of rebuilding Pakistan's image as a safe destination for foreign investors, especially in areas that have traditionally not seen foreign investment.

Absolutely. But to diversify exports, you need machinery import. For local production, you need machinery import. There is nothing happening towards that end. No FDI. Just $68 million infusion into your stock market rallied it into frenzy. All I am saying is Imran Khan and his economic team is just controlling/managing the economy. They are not advancing it towards economic growth.

Absolutely. But to diversify exports, you need machinery import. For local production, you need machinery import. There is nothing happening towards that end. No FDI. Just $68 million infusion into your stock market rallied it into frenzy. All I am saying Imran Khan economic team is just controlling the economy. They are not advancing it towards economic growth.
Machinery import would only occur when you convince investors (local and/or foreign) to set up industry in new areas - the process to convince investors to take that plunge requires time, which is what I alluded to in my post.

Machinery import would only occur when you convince investors (local and/or foreign) to set up industry in new areas - the process to convince investors to take that plunge requires time, which is what I alluded to in my post.
Of course it'll take time. But where is the policy encouraging such investment? Does Imran ever speak in those terms except for his suggestion to set up chicken farms? Luckily for him, India raked up Kashmir issue. Also with the CAA, he can sit tight for another year.

Approximately the same amount..

That would put us in a very good position. Hope now export start posting significant growth. That along with large increases in manpower export in the last year and a half can help us finance our external account independently.

Please don't count the chicken before the eggs hatch.

Absolutely. But to diversify exports, you need machinery import. For local production, you need machinery import. There is nothing happening towards that end. No FDI. Just $68 million infusion into your stock market rallied it into frenzy. All I am saying is Imran Khan and his economic team is just controlling/managing the economy. They are not advancing it towards economic growth.

Stop BSing FDI was up 78.1% till November. And with government fast tracking the SZEs it will grow in the coming years in export and import substitution sectors.

At the same time government did hard negotiations to get good tariff deals with China and Indonesia.

That would put us in a very good position. Hope now export start posting significant growth. That along with large increases in manpower export in the last year and a half can help us finance our external account independently.

Stop BSing FDI was up 78.1% till November. And with government fast tracking the SZEs it will grow in the coming years in export and import substitution sectors.

At the same time government did hard negotiations to get good tariff deals with China and Indonesia.

FDI was around $4 billion in 2016-17. Now you tell me whether you would cross it or not. Let's wait till the end of fiscal to see if FDI is in fact growing. Because Norway somehow invested more than half of the FDI.

FDI was around $4 billion in 2016-17. Now you tell me whether you would cross it or not. Let's wait till the end of fiscal to see if FDI is in fact growing. Because Norway somehow invested more than half of the FDI.

Please stop embarrassing yourself. First you said there is no FDI and just a tiny inflow in the stock market and now you are trying to cover up for your lack of knowledge with tangential posts.

Please stop embarrassing yourself. First you said there is no FDI and just a tiny inflow in the stock market and now you are trying to cover up for your lack of knowledge with tangential posts.
Inflow into stock market is not counted as FDI. Like I said Norway invested $330 million on it's own for some reason. That could be one time deal. Because till couple of months back, FDI was actually low. So I'll wait to see, if this is a trend or just some company investing into it's own growth(cannot be ongoing). Anyways, congrats for now. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Inflow into stock market is not counted as FDI. Like I said Norway invested $330 million on it's own for some reason. That could be one time deal. Because till couple of months FDI was actually low. So I'll wait to see, if this a trend or some company investing into it's own growth. Anyways, congrats for now. Enjoy.

it’s you who claimed there was no other inflow other than the portfolio investment of 68 mil in the stock market. The fact remains that till November the FDI registered 78.1% growth contrary to your previous claim. My advise, when in a hole, stop digging. You are just embarrassing yourself now.

Exports up meager 3.6% with increases in rice, fruits and vegetables. When rates of these goods in Pakistan reached record heights.
Imports mostly mobiles, electrical appliances and oil.

And yet, Pakistanis don't see a problem here.

Actually we've recognised these issues and discussed them to death. However you Bakht trolls think you can set opinion with mindless 1 liners.

We have a path forwards already.

Pakistan has had an energy crisis for years which made Pakistan unattractive for manufacturing. In fact the crisis got so deep our limited manufacturing was hampered. Thanks in part to the PMLN government, this has now changed. We are now exporting energy.

We suffered from terrorism for the most part of 2 decades. This again drove away investment and business generally. Thanks to the army, intelligence services and police - this is now over.

We suffered from massive corruption for nearly 3 decades, this again drove away investment making Pakistan an unattractive place to do business. Thanks to PTI we have a government dedicated to anti corruption.

Today Pakistan is in energy surplus, the financial disaster has been averted, FDI is coming in, CPEC is in full swing creating infrastructure and business opportunities. In 10 years time Pakistan will increasingly be talking about first world problems InshaAllah.

Of course it'll take time. But where is the policy encouraging such investment? Does Imran ever speak in those terms except for his suggestion to set up chicken farms? Luckily for him, India raked up Kashmir issue. Also with the CAA, he can sit tight for another year.
Pakistani PM inaugurates special economic zone under CPEC
Source: Xinhua| 2020-01-03 22:43:41|Editor: Shi Yinglun

ISLAMABAD, Jan. 3 (Xinhua) -- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan inaugurated the Allama Iqbal Industrial City, a special economic zone (SEZ) under the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) in the east Faisalabad city on Friday, the prime minister's office said.

Addressing the groundbreaking ceremony of the SEZ, the prime minister termed CPEC as a golden opportunity for industrial development of Pakistan and the SEZ the first step towards the prosperous future of his country.

China is Pakistan's close friend, and it is developing with leaps and bounds in every field, he said, adding that Pakistan has a great opportunity to make progress by learning from China, and diversifying CPEC by developing industrial and agricultural sectors to boost economic cooperation with China.

"Many Chinese industrialists want to invest in Pakistan. I met many Chinese businessmen during my visit to China last year and they showed keen interest in investing here provided we give them suitable environment. This SEZ will provide that environment to them and give them confidence to relocate their industries in Pakistan."

Lauding Chinese investors, Khan said that they will not only invest in Pakistan, but also transfer technology to the country by relocating their industries which will help Pakistani people get trained in using modern technology.

Talking about the rising number of unemployed youth in his country, the prime minister said that the industrialization process in the country will also open employment opportunities for the youth.

"Pakistan needs to have intensive industrialization to increase its exports for wealth creation. The unemployment problem cannot be solved only by the country's agro-based economy. We need industries to shoulder this responsibility."

Citing China's example to bring out a large number of people from poverty through wealth creation, Khan said his country also wants to follow the same model, and Pakistani officials had several briefings by Chinese on poverty alleviation, during their visit to China.

"We want to do exactly what China did. We want to create wealth by increasing our exports and spending the generated revenues on the poor strata of the society."

According to the ruling party Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf's official Twitter account, the Allama Iqbal Industrial City is likely to have investment of 400 billion Pakistani rupees (about 2.58 bln U.S. dollars), and create 300,000 direct and 1 million indirect employments.The SEZ is likely to have more than 557 industries in various sectors including integrated textile, food processing, construction material, pharmaceutical, automobiles, and steel. So far committed investment in the SEZ amounts to more than 1 billion U.S. dollars including 204 million U.S. dollars local investment, the ruling party stated.

The SEZ is one of the nine SEZs planned to be built under CPEC across Pakistan. The SEZs are quoted as lifelines of Pakistan's industrial development by Pakistani officials as they are likely to create over 2 million employments across the country, besides enhancing exports and uplifting several potential sectors of the country.

Its potential is to increase by $1 billion per year but in my opinion, exports will be increased by $300-400 millions per year. Anyways better than nothing.
Atleast we are moving in right direction.:pakistan:

big Part of our total imports are oil , we need to discover Oil in our shores or somewhere , once that is overcome the economy will see a stabilization .
Oil is old news.
No need to discover anything, renewable are the future, including electric cars.
Instead of wishing, we should be on the front of the renewable push.
Along with local industry.

Back
Top Bottom