What's new

Pakistan's remittances drop by 19% to $2bn in July

Hexlor

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KARACHI: Remittances to Pakistan have dropped by 19.3% year-on-year to $2 billion in the first month of the current fiscal year, according to data released by the central bank on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the remittance inflows have also witnessed a reduction of 7.3% on a month-on-month basis, The News reported. The country, in July, received $2.2 billion in remittances from Pakistanis living abroad.

Last month, the remittance inflow was mainly sourced from Saudi Arabia ($486.7 million), United Arab Emirates ($315.1 million), the United Kingdom ($305.7 million), and the United States of America ($238.1 million), respectively.

Analysts said they expected a decline in remittances in July, while was likely to see more inflow following Eid ul Adha in June, as Pakistani expatriates sent more cash home to buy sacrificial animals.

Additionally, it appears that remittance inflows were switched to the grey market because the exchange rate for dollars there was better.

“In my view as this was the month after Eid ul Adha, therefore flows were dry. Some Pakistanis are using unofficial channels for the transfer of money,” said Samiullah Tariq, the head of research at Pak-Kuwait Investment Company.

“Persistent devaluation is discouraging investment by overseas Pakistanis,” Tariq added.

The release of the remittances statistics came after the International Monetary Fund (IMF) last month approved a new $3 billion bailout for the faltering economy of the nation, which was dangerously near to defaulting on its debt.

The governor of the State Bank of Pakistan, Jameel Ahmad, at the monetary policy briefing last month said that the SBP is making sure it will abide by the requirement that the average difference between the interbank and open market exchange rate does not exceed 1.25%, as well as any other conditions outlined in the agreement with the IMF.

“The level to which the remittances have dropped is worrisome. There is certainly an element of grey channels offering higher rates,” said Fahad Rauf, the head of research at Ismail Iqbal Securities.

“SBP has also proposed certain changes in incentive schemes to attract more remittances like increasing the reimbursement rate to Saudi Riyal 30/$100 which is a 50% increase,” Rauf said, He believes the SBP's efforts and the narrow gap between the official US dollar rate and grey channels would be critical in determining remittances trajectory.

The SBP, in its latest monetary policy statement, expects the current account deficit to be in the range of 0.5 to 1.5% of gross domestic product in fiscal year 2024. This assessment takes into account the impact of evolving domestic and global economic conditions.

The SBP expects that the current outlook for global commodity prices along with moderate domestic economic recovery will keep the imports range-bound.

“On the financing side, the prospects of multilateral and bilateral inflows have considerably improved after the IMF stand-by arrangement,” it said.

“This is important in the context of building external buffers and meeting near-term external financing needs. Further, the market-determined exchange rate will continue to serve as the first line of defence against external shocks and support reserve build-up,” it added.

Keep it up guys, the overseas Pakistani's in middle east need to send their
money through hundi. Lets try to get this below 1 billion per month.

Then CIA agent Asim Whisky will have to beg for more money lol.
Wishful thinking. They don't care about how damaged Pakistan's economy is all they care about is how loaded their bank account is.

This will hurt the middle class.

No, this won't. They are getting the money through Hawala, Hundi in local currency and actually 5-6% more than if sent through proper banking channels, through moneygram, western union others.

It's just that the Pak govt. is not getting the dollars.

So no harm done to the expats. families in Pak.

KARACHI: Remittances to Pakistan have dropped by 19.3% year-on-year to $2 billion in the first month of the current fiscal year, according to data released by the central bank on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the remittance inflows have also witnessed a reduction of 7.3% on a month-on-month basis, The News reported. The country, in July, received $2.2 billion in remittances from Pakistanis living abroad.

Last month, the remittance inflow was mainly sourced from Saudi Arabia ($486.7 million), United Arab Emirates ($315.1 million), the United Kingdom ($305.7 million), and the United States of America ($238.1 million), respectively.

Analysts said they expected a decline in remittances in July, while was likely to see more inflow following Eid ul Adha in June, as Pakistani expatriates sent more cash home to buy sacrificial animals.

Additionally, it appears that remittance inflows were switched to the grey market because the exchange rate for dollars there was better.

“In my view as this was the month after Eid ul Adha, therefore flows were dry. Some Pakistanis are using unofficial channels for the transfer of money,” said Samiullah Tariq, the head of research at Pak-Kuwait Investment Company.

“Persistent devaluation is discouraging investment by overseas Pakistanis,” Tariq added.

The release of the remittances statistics came after the International Monetary Fund (IMF) last month approved a new $3 billion bailout for the faltering economy of the nation, which was dangerously near to defaulting on its debt.

The governor of the State Bank of Pakistan, Jameel Ahmad, at the monetary policy briefing last month said that the SBP is making sure it will abide by the requirement that the average difference between the interbank and open market exchange rate does not exceed 1.25%, as well as any other conditions outlined in the agreement with the IMF.

“The level to which the remittances have dropped is worrisome. There is certainly an element of grey channels offering higher rates,” said Fahad Rauf, the head of research at Ismail Iqbal Securities.

“SBP has also proposed certain changes in incentive schemes to attract more remittances like increasing the reimbursement rate to Saudi Riyal 30/$100 which is a 50% increase,” Rauf said, He believes the SBP's efforts and the narrow gap between the official US dollar rate and grey channels would be critical in determining remittances trajectory.

The SBP, in its latest monetary policy statement, expects the current account deficit to be in the range of 0.5 to 1.5% of gross domestic product in fiscal year 2024. This assessment takes into account the impact of evolving domestic and global economic conditions.

The SBP expects that the current outlook for global commodity prices along with moderate domestic economic recovery will keep the imports range-bound.

“On the financing side, the prospects of multilateral and bilateral inflows have considerably improved after the IMF stand-by arrangement,” it said.

“This is important in the context of building external buffers and meeting near-term external financing needs. Further, the market-determined exchange rate will continue to serve as the first line of defence against external shocks and support reserve build-up,” it added.
General contraction is occurring in all sectors. Just today's news:

Any surprises here, PDM and military will say all is well.

Every overseas Pakistani should use hundi so these beggars that want to rule us get on their knees again sooner than they think.

I'm also happy if Hazarat @WebMaster agrees with Hundi.

@PanzerKiel, I'm surprised you also liked it. :)

However, I will give you guys a different input as well. It's not just expats using various channels to move funds in and out of the country. Still, there is actual resentment among Overseas Pakistanis that will hurt long-term investments in the country.

While I understand the military's concern, they've not factored into their equation expats of the country, which are a more significant force now than in the 70s-80s.

The most crucial factor is the younger generation; for example, they do not have enough young blood in China, which will hurt long-term growth. In Pakistan, the rich young blood is mainly outside the country, and they have the money; it will be difficult once you have that detachment to recoup from elsewhere over time. While Pakistan has a young population, most youth are uneducated and unemployed. This poses a problem because the overseas Pakistani younger generation is more aware are socially conscious of the environment they want to operate in, and they are more entrepreneurial and invest and grow in value-added services, unlike our parent's cycling funds through real estate, which isn't long-term growth. Realistically, real estate is a wealth preserver; it's not an output growth factor for the country.

Let's not forget that nearly a million Pakistanis left the country last year, a significant brain drain for a developing country. You cannot recover from it within the next year or two. The long-term costs are incalculable at this point for the country.

I always said from the beginning when the wave is coming, do not go against it; you ride it in your favor. I can go on and on, but for me and my immediate business knowledge, the scope of the country isn't good.

Last edited:
Wishful thinking. They don't care about how damaged Pakistan's economy is all they care about is how loaded their bank account is.

**** middle class

I remember they use to call us youthias and that they don't need foreign remittances

Now they should face the music as a man

I'm also happy if Hazarat @WebMaster agrees with Hundi.

@PanzerKiel, I'm surprised you also liked it. :)

However, I will give you guys a different input as well. It's not just expats using various channels to move funds in and out of the country. Still, there is actual resentment among Overseas Pakistanis that will hurt long-term investments in the country.

While I understand the military's concern, they've not factored into their equation expats of the country, which are a more significant force now than in the 70s-80s.

The most crucial factor is the younger generation; for example, they do not have enough young blood in China, which will hurt long-term growth. In Pakistan, the rich young blood is mainly outside the country, and they have the money; it will be difficult once you have that detachment to recoup from elsewhere over time. While Pakistan has a young population, most youth are uneducated and unemployed. This poses a problem because the overseas Pakistani younger generation is more aware are socially conscious of the environment they want to operate in, and they are more entrepreneurial and invest and grow in value-added services, unlike our parent's cycling funds through real estate, which isn't long-term growth. Realistically, real estate is a wealth preserver; it's not an output growth factor for the country.

Let's not forget that nearly a million Pakistanis left the country last year, a significant brain drain for a developing country. You cannot recover from it within the next year or two. The long-term costs are incalculable at this point for the country.

I always said from the beginning when the wave is coming, do not go against it; you ride it in your favor. I can go on and on, but for me and my immediate business knowledge, the scope of the country isn't good.
Well there is huge difference in rates anyway so there is no point on direct sending

So what, this is not a big deal. Economies are not run on "remittances" but on manufacturing and services.

Alhamdulillah

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom