What's new

Pakistan's ISI intelligence agency 'supports' Taliban: UK University

Also, I doubt a university - that too a not so well known one in UK - would know anything more about Taliban than what is already out in the public domain.

According to the report, he met them in prison. So I don't think he needed guts to do that.
Like I said, the account about Zardari'e meeting with Taliban leaders in prison, offering support for their operations, and even releasing a few of them, indicates deep invovlement in the operational aspects of any alleged 'support for the Taliban', and that claim is just preposterous given Zardari's background and the distrust with which many in the military view him with, especially given pro-Western credentials.

According to the report, he met them in prison. So I don't think he needed guts to do that.

Who knows the recent arrests of the Taliban leaders in Pak, could be to save them from the US. :eek: Fits perfectly with the LSE story. doesn't it?

But since there's nothing confirming that, I'd refute that idea.

Zardari is a US puppet, that was established with him being holier than the pope when trying to push the KLB (and successfully got it implemented against the wishes of the army). Even if lets say the ISI has some involvement with Mullah Baradar and gang, then Zardari would want that broken since his power base lies with support from the US.

The Taliban is known to pass BS comments against Pakistan and the US all the time to spread their propaganda. If you're going to believe the Taliban then why not believe them when they say the Peshawar Market bombings were done by the US?

Well what did he find out by meeting on-field commanders? Did they tell him that ISI supports them? Because that's utter BS. ISI agents would not reveal their identity to commanders if they were providing them support because that's an easy way to get caught. So I'd like to know more about what was found from meeting the commanders.

five days before the meeting prison officials were told to prepare for the impending presidential call.

Another quote from the report - so basically the entire staff at the jail knew of the President's visit to 'meet Taliban leaders', and this was expected to be kept secret?

The story just keeps getting more and more unbelievable.

Also, I doubt a university - that too a not so well known one in UK - would know anything more about Taliban than what is already out in the public domain.
Yaar, all this was already said in the NYTimes the day after the arrests took place, that Pakistan may have busted the US's plans to collaborate with these Taliban in getting a peace deal that would exclude Pakistan.

Baradar n all being in Pak custody means we can manipulate them, so now all these stories would come out.

I wonder when did we released Baradar that hes going about talking to journalists

The way I see it, this report is one of those ones that come every now and then that offers no evidence and only allegations. Within a few weeks these reports are collecting dust.

LSE not well known in UK ? Are you joking, most people would give their arm and leg to get into LSE. Its one of the most prestigious Universities in the world when it comes to economics. They know what they talk about and people take it seriously. They dont release research studies just like that.

The Taliban is known to pass BS comments against Pakistan and the US all the time to spread their propaganda. If you're going to believe the Taliban then why not believe them when they say the Peshawar Market bombings were done by the US?

Absolutely - why cherry pick Taliban claims?

LSE not well known in UK ? Are you joking, most people would give their arm and leg to get into LSE. Its one of the most prestigious Universities in the world when it comes to economics. They know what they talk about and people take it seriously. They dont release research studies just like that.

What I meant was that it's in UK and it's not well known in the world. Being in UK is significant because what other information would they have besides the one that is already out in public? Being well known in the world or not is not a big deal anyhow.

Again, the entire report is based on the claims of Taliban commanders and officials, the LSE report is basing its conclusions on those comments.

Ignoring the absurdity of the claims against Zardari (who would do well to not trust the US anymore after this - first they burned Karzai, and now apparently they are after him), one should also accept Taliban claims of the US and Blackwater carrying out the terrorist attacks in Pakistan, as Asim pointed out.

What I meant was that it's in UK and it's not well known in the world. Being in UK is significant because what other information would they have besides the one that is already out in public? Being well known in the world or not is not a big deal anyhow.

im not an expert on the taliban or the ISI so i wont comment on this report but if the LSE releases such a report or study there has to be some good backing behind it. Its probably the most prestigious school of economics in the world where the likes of many great economist have studied.

Well, the news is out there in all the press. BBC, UK wired, Aaj media, Zee news, Asia biz, India times, Times UK, this news is there in every press in the world. Just google and you'd find over 800 results in the past 24 hours.

If all this is not credible for you, then God knows what is.

If you fail to believe such a thing being said by the whole world, then I don't understand why you believe all those silly stories about India that only Pak media shouts about.

AgNoStIc MuSliM

Please read the excerpt from the report I posted earlier before replying to me again - it quite clearly alleges that Zardari met with arrested Taliban leaders, assured them of cooperation in their operations and even promised release of a few leaders, which then actually occurred. That would mean he was in direct contact with the Taliban leadership and intimately aware of alleged pro-Taliban operations and even ordered the release of some Taliban leaders.

What does that have to do with this thread and information. Zardari had a field day, once from your information, but everything is under Armys control, and there is nothing new about that unless you can prove otherwise.

Did you read my previous post about the structure of the ISI and who appoints the DG ISI and who he reports to? Please take time to read the posts instead of making knee jerk comments.

And civilian control of the ISI has nothing to do with this 'report', since it alleges the 'civilian President, a Shia and liberal' was apparently meeting captured Taliban leaders, promising them support for their operations and ordering the release of some Taliban leaders.The report shot itself in the foot with that cockamamie story, unless the Times Online reported it incorrectly.

I am getting real confused in your language of releasing Talibans Language, infact that is not the discussion!!!

The report says the ISI is providing funding, training and sanctuary to the Taliban on a scale much larger than previously thought.

This what the Report Says!!! The link is the starting of the thread!!!!

I'd say this report - i.e. the claim that ISI supporting Taliban and supporting evidence being meeting with commanders - is a handy work of a foreign intelligence agency to increase pressure on Pakistan. I am not picking out or implying any particular intelligence agency. A big role of intelligence agencies is propaganda and PR so I don't think this hypothesis is impossible.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom