What's new

Pakistan's Artillery Upgrade Discussions

IIRC, I read somewhere that Turks were developing a new version of PANTER with reduced weight and other enhancements. Can this be the reason of PA holding the current inventory at 72 and waiting on the new improved version?
Not happy with it is what i have been told.

Any chance , any that of an indigenous cannon like the truck mounted one shown in ideas 2002 I think , what about ideas 2016 could there be any news
Which one are you talking about? An indigenous system for SPH :confused: Can you share that pic from IDEAS 2002? I think there is some confusion.

Not happy with it is what i have been told.

Which one are you talking about? An indigenous system for SPH :confused: Can you share that pic from IDEAS 2002? I think there is some confusion.
Can't really member saw the pic some where over here

1478321872644.jpg
Land Platforms

Airshow China 2016: NORINCO introduces new lightweight SPH

Christopher F Foss, Zhuhai - IHS Jane's International Defence Review

04 November 2016

The CS/SH4 SPH leverages elements of the Type 96 howitzer. Source: Christopher F Foss

China North Industries' (NORINCO's) China South Division has developed and tested a new self-propelled howitzer (SPH), although full technical details have yet to be revealed.

The CS/SH4 lightweight 122 mm system consists of a cross-country (4x4) chassis with a fully protected cab at the front and the 122 mm armament mounted at the rear.

While in the travelling configuration the 122 mm weapon is traversed to the front and lowered into the horizontal position so that is rests within the upper part of the cab.

When deployed in the firing position the complete 122 mm weapon - with its distinctive slotted muzzle brake - is moved to the rear hydraulically so that the baseplate rests on the ground. On either side of the baseplate are two stabilisers that are extended to provide a more stable firing platform.

The cross-country chassis is provided with a central tyre-inflation system and on either side of the platform are stowage boxes for ammunition.

While the original Chinese 122 mm Type 96 howitzer had standard optical direct and indirect sights fitted, the CS/SH4 may have some elements of a navigation and gun laying system, but traverse and elevation are still manual.

Assuming that the ballistics are the same as the baseline 122 mm Type 96 towed howitzer, maximum range firing a standard high-explosive projectile is 15.3 km but this can be increased to 18 km with a special charge.

NORINCO are also marketing a 122 mm extended range full-bore hollow base (ERFB HB) projectile with a maximum range of 18 km as well as an ERFB Base Bleed (ERFB BB) type that increases its range to 21 m.

The latest 122 mm round to be revealed by NORINCO is a 122 mm BB round with rocket assist (BB RA), which gives a maximum range of 27 km but with a potential loss of accuracy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom