What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

GUYS quick question

WHY have Pakistan gone for turbo prop propeller planes ..........Surely they are slower and more at risk .

The Indians have gone for more modern platforms for both the Phalcon & indian indengious Awacs

View attachment 377653

View attachment 377654

IM not suggesting one is better than the other PLEASE don't kill me guys.

AWACS are crucial in war so the better more modern the platform the more effective and safer your coverage

I think Pakistan actually selected the Saab 2000 over the Embraer R-99 in use by other Erieye operators for efficiency & maintenance reasons. I actually find the Saab 2000 equipped erieye much more pleasing to the eye. But then everyone has their own taste. Real question is of capabilities and the Erieyes are some of the best machines in South Asia for the job they were designed for.

I think Pakistan actually selected the Saab 2000 over the Embraer R-99 in use by other Erieye operators for efficiency & maintenance reasons. I actually find the Saab 2000 equipped erieye much more pleasing to the eye. But then everyone has their own taste. Real question is of capabilities and the Erieyes are some of the best machines in South Asia for the job they were designed for.

Phalcon swacs of Israel is rated even higher than e3,sentry.

360 degrees coverage via laser beam no rotating radar. Aveage rotation of beam ten times as fast as a rotating radar

This is only what I read in various web sites.

No expert.

I do know phalcon cost ,400million dollars each . Very very expensive.

In contrast Indian awacs only 90million each

Phalcon swacs of Israel is rated even higher than e3,sentry.

360 degrees coverage via laser beam no rotating radar. Aveage rotation of beam ten times as fast as a rotating radar

This is only what I read in various web sites.

No expert.

I do know phalcon cost ,400million dollars each . Very very expensive.

In contrast Indian awacs only 90million each

Actually the DRDO AEW&C costs 400 million dollars a unit. I have no idea how India justifies these exuberant price and not to mention its detection range is 250km. This in my view is outrageous for an indigenous system even if we assume most of the cost is going towards the plane and subsequent modifications. http://www.defenseworld.net/news/18...Be_Handed_Over_During_Aero_India#.WKJCq_krKUk

The Erieye uses multiple subsystems to get 360 degree coverage. This issue has been discussed multiple time but if others want to add to the discussion then it's good.

Pakistan has 8 active AWACS not to mention other systems like Beechcraft Super King Air and falcons and P3 Orions. Really in terms of surveillance and reconnaissance and, Pakistan is miles ahead of the pack. Only missing piece is dedicated military satellites. This is an area India has been allowed to surge ahead.

@Centurion2016

The reason turboprops were selected was because they a less expensive to operate and maintain and they have better loiter times than similar sized jets. In the case of the Saab 2000, it also had near jet performance.

Actually the DRDO AEW&C costs 400 million dollars a unit. I have no idea how India justifies these exuberant price and not to mention its detection range is 250km. This in my view is outrageous for an indigenous system even if we assume most of the cost is going towards the plane and subsequent modifications. http://www.defenseworld.net/news/18...Be_Handed_Over_During_Aero_India#.WKJCq_krKUk

The Erieye uses multiple subsystems to get 360 degree coverage. This issue has been discussed multiple time but if others want to add to the discussion then it's good.

Pakistan has 8 active AWACS not to mention other systems like Beechcraft Super King Air and falcons and P3 Orions. Really in terms of surveillance and reconnaissance and, Pakistan is miles ahead of the pack. Only missing piece is dedicated military satellites. This is an area India has been allowed to surge ahead.

where did you get these numbers? From what I remember per unit is about 40% cheaper. If you're adding development costs that is capex that we will recover through multiple applications of R&D, export etc.

where did you get these numbers? From what I remember per unit is about 40% cheaper. If you're adding development costs that is capex that we will recover through multiple applications of R&D, export etc.

From DRDO executives. Please check the link I posted.

and I also noted you left out the Phalcons and Poseidons of India

Don't put on your typical Indian hat, please. I was simply talking about number of surveillance systems in Pakistan with relations to its geographic size. It has nothing to do with India. That was not the point of my comment. You Indians need to learn at carrying conversations without your inferiority complex about every subject matter kicking in.

We should start manufacturing such beauties by ourselves too.
Really not required. The numbers required is small and there is no sense in designing and manufacturing it by ourself. However i do feel that with some advancements in the radar and sensor area will be welcoming and that can shape up into AWACS as well as sensor and radar package for our fighters and other EW aircrafts. For the plane part, just buy what suites you as the number required is low.

GUYS quick question

WHY have Pakistan gone for turbo prop propeller planes ..........Surely they are slower and more at risk .

The Indians have gone for more modern platforms for both the Phalcon & indian indengious Awacs

View attachment 377653

View attachment 377654

IM not suggesting one is better than the other PLEASE don't kill me guys.

AWACS are crucial in war so the better more modern the platform the more effective and safer your coverage
Because the turboprops are easier and cheaper to operate and maintain and because they get the job done perfectly for Pakistan (area the need to patrol).

Actually the DRDO AEW&C costs 400 million dollars a unit.
That includes developmental charges.
When you buy from a foreign company, these charges are not included, only manufacturing and a certain percentage profit is included.

DRDO AEW&C will cost much less if we just include manufacturing charges and a profit percentage and decrease as the technology is used in other platforms.

For example, it will be cheaper to build the bigger Airbus A330 AWACS for DRDO now because the technology is already developed.

That includes developmental charges.
When you buy from a foreign company, these charges are not included, only manufacturing and a certain percentage profit is included.

DRDO AEW&C will cost much less if we just include manufacturing charges and a profit percentage and decrease as the technology is used in other platforms.

For example, it will be cheaper to build the bigger Airbus A330 AWACS for DRDO now because the technology is already developed.

This is not correct. This is what the DRDO official claimed

“Presently, our estimate is for the first two AEW&Cs will be about 9200 crores (USD 1.3 billion) followed by four numbers will be about similar number. So on an average, the production cost of an AEW&Cs will be about 2.6-2.7 thousand crores (USD 404 million),” Chirstopher said.

@Slav Defence @TaimiKhan @Manticore May need to hand a few warnings here. We cannot afford to let people fight like we see here post 4661 onward!

@Guynextdoor2 and @Rajput Warrior i am not sure what is the reason for this idiocity and how all this can make any of you feel better or proud. Anyway, if that is the case the forum still cannot allow any of this. Please take this load of crap somewhere else.

@WebMaster @Horus i have reported all the posts but they didn't disappeared/hide as they used to do previously. That was one good feature and the reported posts were temporarily hidden from open forum and then MODs can come in and take a final decision about that post. IF THAT FEATURE NO LONGER AVAILABLE?

Last edited:
This is not correct. This is what the DRDO official claimed

“Presently, our estimate is for the first two AEW&Cs will be about 9200 crores (USD 1.3 billion) followed by four numbers will be about similar number. So on an average, the production cost of an AEW&Cs will be about 2.6-2.7 thousand crores (USD 404 million),” Chirstopher said.
Many Indian really have serious comprehension problems. Let them do was they good at. all reasonable people from the forum got ur point.( Useless to argue with Indians)

Back
Top Bottom