What's new

Pakistanis Remain Hopeful Amid Crises: 69% Think Their Children Will Do Better

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Pakistan is in the middle of multiple serious crises. But the vast majority of Pakistanis feel that they have better lives than their parents did, and they think their children will have even better lives than theirs, according to a Gallup International Poll of 64 countries conducted from August to October last year. The poll asked two questions: 1) Do you feel your life is better, worse or roughly similar to that of your parents? and 2) Do you think your children will have a better, worse or roughly the same life as you? The answers to these questions reveal that Pakistanis are among the top 5 most positive nations among 64 countries polled by Gallup International. Anecdotal evidence in terms of packed shopping malls and restaurants in Pakistan's major cities confirms it. Such positivity augurs well for Pakistan's prospects of successfully dealing with the current crises.

Pakistanis Among Most Optimistic:

Nearly two-thirds (65%) of Pakistanis said they live better than their parents did. And 69% of Pakistani parents think their children will have better lives than they do. In neighboring India, 54% of respondents feel their lives are better than their parents' while only 43% say their children will have better lives than theirs'. The global average for the former is 51% and it is 44% for the latter. The poll results put Pakistanis among the world's five most hopeful nations in the world.

Most of the countries are positive on both questions, but if one looks for instance for countries with both above 50% positive answers, Nigeria stands out with 171 (81% positive for today plus 90% positive for tomorrow), followed by Kosovo (162), the United Arab Emirates (150), Ghana (141) and Pakistan (134), according to Gallup International.

Pakistan (69% minus 18%) is among the most positive countries. India is much less positive (43% minus 33%). Nigeria (90% minus 6%) tops the list in terms of positivity and the most negative is Slovenia (14% minus 53%). Among the prominent countries where GIA could poll, expectations for their children’s future are highest in Nigeria, followed by Russia (52% minus 10%), Mexico (48% minus 30%) and the USA (43% minus 31%). When combining the two questions, another perspective is added. For instance, Moldova shows a total of 86 (45% saying that their live is worse life than the one of their parents plus 41% expecting a worse life of today’s children), followed in this negative ranking by North Macedonia (82: 35% negative assessments plus 47% negative predictions), Afghanistan (81), Syria and Italy (78), etc.

Economic Mobility in Pakistan:

Pakistanis' positive responses in the Gallup poll appear to be supported by a World Bank study. Economic mobility across generations, also known as intergenerational mobility (IGM), is a key measure of human progress. It shows that Pakistan is doing relatively well, according to a World Bank sponsored study. The analysis examines whether those born in poverty or in prosperity are destined to remain in the same economic circumstances into which they were born, and looks back over a half a century at whether children’s lives are better or worse than their parents’ in different parts of the world.

Intergenerational Income Mobility Study:

The World Bank study uses a newly created 2018 database—the Global Database of Intergenerational Mobility (GDIM)—that covers more than 95 percent of the global population. Intergenerational income mobility measures how children's incomes compare with their parents' incomes at similar stages of life over a period of 50 years.

The study found that higher intergenerational income mobility is associated with lower income inequality.

Inclusive Development:

More and more Pakistanis are sharing in their nation's development, according to The World Economic Forum (WEF). Pakistan ranks 47 among 74 emerging economies ranked for inclusive development by the WEF released report at Davos, Switzerland. Inclusive development in the South Asian country has increased 7.56% over the last 5 years. The World Economic Forum assesses inclusive development based on "living standards, environmental sustainability and protection of future generations from further indebtedness."

Related Links:

Haq's Musings

South Asia Investor Review

Pakistan Forecast to be World's 7th Largest Consumer Market By 2030

Is Shahzad Chaudhry Right "On India"?

Pakistan at 75

Pakistan Remittance Soar 30X Since Year 2000

Goldman Sachs: Pakistan to be World's 6th Largest Economy By 2075

Over 800,000 Pakistani Workers Migrated Overseas in 2022

Today's Pakistan: Conservative or Progressive?

Why Has Modi Failed to Isolate Pakistan?

New Infrastructure Driving Socioeconomic Revolution in Tharparkar

Digital Pakistan 2022: Broadband Penetration 90% Among 15+ Age Group

Resilient Pakistan Defies Doomsayers

US and China Compete For Influence in Pakistan

Riaz Haq's Youtube Channel

PakAlumni: Pakistani Social Network

this-is.gif

I don't know why people are being so pessimistic about Pakistan Economy. It's inflation in every country. Pakistan would go up from here as oil prices getting cooled and USA has avoided recession.

I don't know why people are being so pessimistic about Pakistan Economy. It's inflation in every country. Pakistan would go up from here as oil prices getting cooled and USA has avoided recession.

Inflation in every country is at 6-14%, not 40%. Pakistan is looking at long term hyperinflation, if the economy is not managed properly.

Pakistan's problems are manifold.
1. Low productivity of workers due to low level of Human Development (education and skills)
2. Low investment in productive assets. Most of the private investment is in real estate and public investment is in military.
3. High level of endemic corruption, public and private.
4. Huge debt burden.
5. Poor governance due to poor polity.
6. Political and sectarian unrest and violence
7. Weak relationship with neighbors and larger international community.

Immediate concern is, among the large countries, Pakistan is unique in that no meaningful mechanism exists to handle external obligations for the next decade or so, however you slice it (absent huge and perennial gifts)

@RiazHaq

Brofessor sb,

This is a very encouraging finding. Optimism is very important in supporting consumer and investor sentiment- it encourages consumption, savings and investment. This may help in turning Pakiland's economic fortunes.

Regards

When you're at rock bottom, there's nowhere else to go, but upwards

Pakistan is in the middle of multiple serious crises. But the vast majority of Pakistanis feel that they have better lives than their parents did, and they think their children will have even better lives than theirs, according to a Gallup International Poll of 64 countries conducted from August to October last year.

Delusional by definition:

de·lu·sion·al
/dəˈlo͞oZH(ə)nəl/

adjective
characterized by or holding false beliefs or judgments about external reality that are held despite incontrovertible evidence to the contrary, typically as a symptom of a mental condition.

I remember in late 1990s or early 2000s, Pakistan was glad to get even $50 million from other countries. The Lost Decade from 1988-1999 was lost precisely because of political crises where Benazir Bhutto and Nawaz Sharif were at each others' throats instead of governance. Similar things happened in Bangladesh when Haseena and Khalida caused anarchy in BD due to the power struggle; but under Haseena, BD has the stability now which most 3rd world countries lack. And unfortunately, Pakistan is witnessing yet another round of political anarchy since April 2022 and for that I largely blame Imran Khan; I know it doesn't endear me to this fanboi forum but that's what I see as the major problem afflicting Pakistan. The situation is made even worse by the global crises of various kinds.

To get out of the crises, tightening of belt, peace on the borders, squashing of militancy AND a strong govt in the Center and in the provinces; I don't care even if General Zia ul Haq is reborn to take the power but someone must form a stable government. Imran is also welcome to rule but his utter (and stupid) lies blaming the sole Superpower publicly has made him difficult option to get 'aid'.

But if and when political stability is achieved then I believe there is enough domestic resources to make Pakistan more than survive. It is not a country dependent upon tourism or similar one trick pony.

@Meengla sb @VCheng sb

But if and when political stability is achieved then I believe there is enough domestic resources to make Pakistan more than survive. It is not a country dependent upon tourism or similar one trick pony.

Much as I like to pull Brofessor sb's legs, actually I quite agree with him. Pakistan has a lot going for it- with a little bit of maturity on part of the ruling class (which the current crisis might force upon them), Pakistan could turn around. It doesnt have the huge swathes of poverty affected backwaters that India has, is reasonably homogenous ethnically and religiously; and most of the population lies lies in a narrow band on a line running from Karachi to Pindi. Will not take much effort to turn it around.

Regards

@Meengla sb @VCheng sb

Much as I like to pull Brofessor sb's legs, actually I quite agree with him. Pakistan has a lot going for it- with a little bit of maturity on part of the ruling class (which the current crisis might force upon them), Pakistan could turn around. It doesnt have the huge swathes of poverty affected backwaters that India has, is reasonably homogenous ethnically and religiously; and most of the population lies lies in a narrow band on a line running from Karachi to Pindi. Will not take much effort to turn it around.

Regards

Like I said, delusional. Enough said. :D

@Meengla sb @VCheng sb

Regards

I found a great statement by Hasan Nisar, ' what do you mean if you get great leadership you will do this and that? with great leadership even nomadic mongols ruled the world. It is the most important thing'

Because the reality of the situation is always somewhere in the middle. Some indicators are horrendous, others not so bad. We need to realize that there is a massive political narrative that is driving this despondency and negative perception and despite it, Pakistanis remain eternally hopeful for their children.

This in itself is heartening that Pakistanis don't necessarily see everything with a single party world view.

Second, the hits to the country on account of the massive floods, oil imports and a resurgence in terrorism have formed a perfect storm of sorts and it is something that political parties will tap into. If all you see is talk shows, news shows and Twittersphere that do nothing but churn out expert analysis (from non-experts), you will walk away thinking Pakistan has ceased to exist as a country. However below the undercurrent, things are churning along. Not optimally but they are moving along.

I wish we did not have this political turmoil, I wish PTI was allowed to finish its 5 year term, but that is all in the past now. Whatever the situation, Pakistanis have to find a way, as Pakistanis and not PTI, PDM etc. etc., to carry on iteratively improving their lot.

@RiazHaq

Brofessor sb,

This is a very encouraging finding. Optimism is very important in supporting consumer and investor sentiment- it encourages consumption, savings and investment. This may help in turning Pakiland's economic fortunes.

Regards

“Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air...but only for one second without hope.”

by American author Hal Lindsey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom