What's new

Pakistan want to purchase 150 JF-17 Engines from Russia

Who's going to pay for it? You?

China has spent tens of billions of dollars, and decades trying to develop a domestic engine of their own, and they barely managed to get their current engines working somewhat properly.

Pakistan? Even if Pakistan has the technical know-how, which it doesn't, it would probably go bankrupt in its pursuit to develop a domestic engine.

The only way for Pakistan to develop an engine at home is to look for an international partner. The US is out of the question, Turkey? Maybe. China? read what I said above.

Are you joking?? Since when does Turkey make fighter jet engines? ONLY a select few countries like U.S,U.K,FRANCE,GERMANY and RUSSIA have proven/shown they can build jet engines that are operational, proven, reliable, effective and have been widely used not only in their home countries but proven/mature enough to be exported around the world. These are so far the only countries that have the capability, experience, tech, knowledge to build fighter jet engines.

China is the only country outside these countries to be close to achieving this in future. So Pakistan will have to rely on the countries I mentioned above and thats it. Russia in this regard is a good choice.

Are you joking?? Since when does Turkey make fighter jet enginTechnologic select few countries like U.S,U.K,FRANCE,GERMANY and RUSSIA have proven/shown they can build jet engines that are operational, proven, reliable, effective and have been widely used not only in their home countries but proven/mature enough to be exported around the world. These are so far the only countries that have the capability, experience, tech, knowledge to build fighter jet engines.

China is the only country outside these countries to be close to achieving this in future. So Pakistan will have to rely on the countries I mentioned above and thats it. Russia in this regard is a good choice.

Add Japan to the list too. They haven't made yet ( though their lone 5th gen TD may have their own engines ),they are Technologically, Capable.

@amardeep mishra @Penguin @PARIKRAMA

Sir Pakistan has Type 21 ships operating on gas turbines from UK. Is it possible , I mean may be get China on board and do some reverse engineering ?

Add Japan to the list too. They haven't made yet ( though their lone 5th gen TD may have their own engines ),they are Technologically, Capable.

@amardeep mishra @Penguin @PARIKRAMA

Sir Pakistan has Type 21 ships operating on gas turbines from UK. Is it possible , I mean may be get China on board and do some reverse engineering ?
i dont see why they would need to they build their own gas turbine engines for marine propulsion don't they? its based of a Ukrainian design also the lm 2500 is powering the type 52's

i dont see why they would need to they build their own gas turbine engines for marine propulsion don't they? its based of a Ukrainian design also the lm 2500 is powering the type 52's

Didnt know the Chinese relied on Ukrainian designs for their marine gas turbine. They must have their own design I believe.

As for Japan, well they havent made one yet, though I do believe they might be able to finally succeed in future. :)

Didnt know the Chinese relied on Ukrainian designs for their marine gas turbine. They must have their own design I believe.

As for Japan, well they havent made one yet, though I do believe they might be able to finally succeed in future. :)
the Japanese fifth gen fighter will have a Japanese engine. japan dont make engines but some japanese companies do help build them in collaboration with other engine builders, mainly pratt and whitney, mtu aero and rolls royce.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Aero_Engine_Corporation
the iae v2500 is the best example these engines are an option to be installed on the airbus a320 family and the kc-390
161979_big.jpg

kc-390
005.jpg

Last edited:
I meant the Rolls Royce Olympus turbines , used aboard the Type 21s. They were derived from aero engines which were further developed into supersonic engines.

I meant the Rolls Royce Olympus turbines , used aboard the Type 21s. They were derived from aero engines which were further developed into supersonic engines.

It is not easy to reverse engineer engines. It never has been.

yes i know what you meant but i dont see why they would need to. they have their own engines that work and word out is that more powerful engines are being developed for the type 55 ddg. also i would expect they already have sent them. they received 2 turbine engines from us for the type 21's to replace the one they currently have. i wont be surprised if one of the used one made its way to china but thats words to salvage your mouth of speculation, its not confirmed or the 2 engines may be broken for parts who knows. in my opinion i highly doubt it.

yes i know what you meant but i dont see why they would need to. they have their own engines that work and word out is that more powerful engines are being developed for the type 55 ddg. also i would expect they already have sent them. they received 2 turbine engines from us for the type 21's to replace the one they currently have. i wont be surprised if one of the used one made its way to china but thats words to salvage your mouth of speculation, its not confirmed or the 2 engines may be broken for parts who knows. in my opinion i highly doubt it.

Type 21 is on its way out. No experiments would done it.

the Japanese fifth gen fighter will have a Japanese engine. japan dont make engines but some japanese companies do help build them in collaboration with other engine builders, mainly pratt and whitney, mtu aero and rolls royce.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Aero_Engine_Corporation
the iae v2500 is the best example these engines are an option to be installed on the airbus a320 family and the kc-390
161979_big.jpg

kc-390
005.jpg

Interesting...I didnt know Japan is also trying to break into the elite Jet engine market. Will be interesting to see if they can succeed. Good initiative @Nihonjin1051

Theres not much infos in the link you provided though. Thanks for the info anyway.

Interesting...I didnt know Japan is also trying to break into the elite Jet engine market. Will be interesting to see if they can succeed. Good initiative @Nihonjin1051

Theres not much infos in the link you provided though. Thanks for the info anyway.
they have a developed fighter jet engine the xf5
f8e2e3e779f379f5228dfa4216494101.jpg

@Ankit Kumar
@LeGenD
If it was so easy then china would have perfected their WS series of engine by now! But thats not true,and china too is struggling to make their engines "reliable". What they are doing at the moment is-flying their engines in their jets "sub-optimally" to access the performance. China seems much more serious with their gas turbine research than india. They have pumped in billion of dollars in this pursuit and i am sure in next 10 years they will break this barrier. India too is working on her own sweet pace. For instance I saw a new 25kN engine entirely designed by AERDC(HAL) at the load cell. This new engine has been constructed almost entirely by 3d printing in india! Yes entirely in bangalore! This is first of kind when 3d printing was used to this extent to fast forward the development time! Now they are even testing it on the load cell(without afterburner-core stage). India will be using her own Jet engines(below 25kN thrust) in almost all the planes(of smaller category) in coming decade. And by her own- i mean engines "designed" by either AERDC or GTRE

Which fighter jet does it power?
its due to fly on its maiden flight very soon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_X-2_Shinshin
japan-stealth-fighter.jpg

@Ankit Kumar
@LeGenD
If it was so easy then china would have perfected their WS series of engine by now! But thats not true,and china too is struggling to make their engines "reliable". What they are doing at the moment is-flying their engines in their jets "sub-optimally" to access the performance. China seems much more serious with their gas turbine research than india. They have pumped in billion of dollars in this pursuit and i am sure in next 10 years they will break this barrier. India too is working on her own sweet pace. For instance I saw a new 25kN engine entirely designed by AERDC(HAL) at the load cell. This new engine has been constructed almost entirely by 3d printing in india! Yes entirely in bangalore! This is first of kind when 3d printing was used to this extent to fast forward the development time! Now they are even testing it on the load cell(without afterburner-core stage). India will be using her own Jet engines(below 25kN thrust) in almost all the planes(of smaller category) in coming decade. And by her own- i mean engines "designed" by either AERDC or GTRE
what material is used to print components in 3d printers. carbon[carbon not a metal] or titanium?
it would be easy to use a 3d printer to make some parts that would typically require laser welding or heat fusion.

Back
Top Bottom