What's new

Pakistan TV journalist killed in Swat Valley

batmannow

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pakistan TV journalist killed in Swat Valley

18 Feb 2009 09:05:04 PM ISTLast Updated : 18 Feb 2009 09:13:54 PM IST/ISLAMABAD:
Pakistani journalist Mosa Khankhel, a correspondent for Geo TV and The News, died with his boots on as he headed for Swat in the country's restive northwest to report on peace talks between a radical cleric and his son-in-law who heads the Taliban that controls the area.

Unidentified gunmen shot Khankhel dead at Matta, near Swat, where the peace talks were to be held.

In his last report before his death on the departure of cleric Sufi Mohammad of the Tahrik-e-Nifaz Shariat Muhammadi (TNSM) for talks with Maulana Fazlullah, the journalist said: "The convoy is departing for Matta. Sufi Ahmed will go with the convoy to Matta.

"Attempts are being made to restore peace in the area," Khankhel added.

The TNSM had Monday signed an agreement with the North West Frontier Province (NWFP) government to impose Shariat laws in the provinces Malakand region, which includes the once picturesque tourist destination of Swat.

President Asif Ali Zardari has said he would approve the pact if the Taliban, whose writ runs in the Malakand region, laid down their arms and restored peace in the area.

Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and Information and Broadcasting Minister Sherry Rehman, immediately condemned the journalist's killing, terming it an unacceptable act.

Khankhel is the fourth journalist to be killed in terrorist violence this year.

Tahir Awan and Mohammad Imran were killed in an explosion at the scene of a suicide blast they were reporting on at the NWFP's Dera Ismail Khan town.

Awan freelanced for local dailies Eitedal and Apna Akhbar while Imran was a trainee cameraman with Express News.

In Rawalpindi adjacent to Islamabad, unknown assailants gunned down Aamer Wakil who worked with Rohi TV and edited the local daily Awami Inqalab.

A week later, journalist Kamal Azfir survived an attempt on his life in a firing incident near Kohat in NWFP.

Can this reporter's killers be prosecuted, or is it enough for them to label him a RAW agent and threaten the authorities not to pursue the matter?

Can this reporter's killers be prosecuted, or is it enough for them to label him a RAW agent and threaten the authorities not to pursue the matter?

Bad News. very unfortunate.

How did you assume that he was killed by whom and for what?

In such areas people are also killed over rivalries between families. Settling scores in such areas are not uncommon.

There are dozens of reporters and media persons covering the events in Swat why he was particularly targeted?

It could be an attempt by those who want to sabotage the accord and talks and who do not want peace in the area.

I assume he was killed because that is the reason why the story was written. I made no assumption of "by whom" or "for what" the reporter was killed. I did not realize "family feud" was the rule in Swat, rather than secular or sharia law.

I assume he was killed because that is the reason why the story was written. I made no assumption of "by whom" or "for what" the reporter was killed. I did not realize "family feud" was the rule in Swat, rather than secular or sharia law.

Killing of a Pakisani journalist and specialy in NWFP is always a big news due to the prevailing situation.

Last year a Peshawar based journalist who was working with Channel one was killed by someone. He was a shia so without any proof the Western media started terming it a secterian killing.

But later it was revealed that he had an affair with a girl from Punjab and was killed apparently due to the same reason. He was already married with few kids.

Your post was not based on any evidence and sounds more malicious specially when used the word RAW agent.

this is very sad indeed! my deepest condolences to his family! he was the bravest of the brave!
he was brutally murdered - 30 bullet holes in his body - the militants have out done the israelis!!!

Killing of a Pakisani journalist and specialy in NWFP is always a big news due to the prevailing situation.

Last year a Peshawar based journalist who was working with Channel one was killed by someone. He was a shia so without any proof the Western media started terming it a secterian killing.

But later it was revealed that he had an affair with a girl from Punjab and was killed apparently due to the same reason. He was already married with few kids.

Your post was not based on any evidence and sounds more malicious specially when used the word RAW agent.

SurvivoR;sir

this very intresting, devolpment in sad situation, i guss some of external based fighters getting , really pissed off, from the govt's sudden but good step ,which is fully backed by, PAKARMY.
its is going to be a hard ball in any way for tailibans, to reject the peace perposal, they are going to lose the support from the locals, & as a result surlly , they are bound to lose the ground too!:agree::angry::tup:

Who was this guy? Was he so good that Taliban had to kill him.

ma frnds we all know very well , who killed him , and why ....and u guys talkin it very normaly because it is very common to kill anyone in NWFP. so where is sharia law's now..or in sharia their is any rule against reporter also....or sharia is against using technology and broadcasting ...well i condemmed this henious act ..and it is the right time to act against this taliban for u ma pakistani's frnds ..because taliban is trying to make yr country afganistan.....and only u can stop this...and in this quote i m not against pakistan ..i hav sympathy for NWFP people.. i feel immense pain when i hear news abt barbarian act with gals and social worker.

ma frnds we all know very well , who killed him , and why ....and u guys talkin it very normaly because it is very common to kill anyone in NWFP. so where is sharia law's now..or in sharia their is any rule against reporter also....or sharia is against using technology and broadcasting ...well i condemmed this henious act ..and it is the right time to act against this taliban for u ma pakistani's frnds ..because taliban is trying to make yr country afganistan.....and only u can stop this...and in this quote i m not against pakistan ..i hav sympathy for NWFP people.. i feel immense pain when i hear news abt barbarian act with gals and social worker.

No one claim responsibility for this murder,it is too early to blame any one, dont creat hatred between pakistanis.

Please be careful about sharia and islam,they are perfect muslim can do mistakes

Please be careful about sharia and islam,they are perfect muslim can do mistakes
The quest for perfection at the point of a gun can lead to great tyranny. Are you sure complying with Sharia isn't asking too much of human beings?

The quest for perfection at the point of a gun can lead to great tyranny. Are you sure complying with Sharia isn't asking too much of human beings?

Every muslim should have sword or gun in his house, it is as per teaching of islam , we should either in practical HARAB(WAR with enemies of Islam) or should be preparing for HARAB/Jehad

HARAB means killing of enimies
JEHAD means struggle which is broader term includes HARAB,KATAL,STRUGGLE (with money,time and life).

So when there is islam(shariah law) practically prevailing in muslim society , it is basically required to serve humanity in better way.

Every muslim should have sword or gun in his house, it is as per teaching of islam , we should either in practical HARAB(WAR with enemies of Islam) or should be preparing for HARAB/Jehad
But in Pakistan you don't have "enemies of Islam" as immediate neighbors, only violent disputes about Islam between Muslims! Whatever the system is now in the NWFP and Swat, it demonstrably isn't working to keep peace, prosperity, freedom of worship, and freedom from fear. Is there no better way to serve humanity?

Back
Top Bottom