What's new

Pakistan to produce FIFA World Cup Soccer Balls

Secret Service

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Sialkot ball maker to fulfil World Cup dream

SIALKOT:
It was when he felt the roar of the crowd at the 2006 World Cup in Germany that Pakistani factory owner Khawaja Akhtar first dreamt up a goal of his own: to manufacture the ball for the biggest football tournament on the planet.

10333798_901197123230648_6828486112845067254_o.jpg

“The people were chanting all around me. I just thought, ‘This is the real thing’,” Akhtar told Reuters. “I was part of the crowd. I never had that kind of feeling before.”

His factory in Sialkot had made balls for the German Bundesliga, French league and Champions League, but he had never snagged a World Cup contract.

Last year he finally got his chance – but only 33 days to make it happen.

When Akhtar heard last autumn that Adidas’ Chinese supplier for the World Cup couldn’t keep up with demand, he immediately invited executives to his plant.

Their first visit was not a success.

“They said ‘You have Stone Age equipment,” said his oldest son, Hassan Masood Khawaja, laughing. “After they left, my father called a meeting and said: ‘This is our only chance. If we show them we can’t do it, we’ll never get another chance again.’”

It usually takes six months to set up a production line, but the factory only had a month – Adidas, the German sports equipment maker, was in a hurry. So Khawaja designed, made and moved the equipment into place within 33 days. Everything had to be done from scratch.

“It was hard, maybe the hardest thing I’ve ever done,” he said over the noise of the hot, hissing machines.

But it was a success, and the firm’s previous investment in thermal bonding technology paid off. Only thermally bonded balls – made using a glue that reacts with heat – are round enough for the World Cup’s strict standards.

Cobblers to the British

A leading force in world cricket, Pakistan is a mere also-ran in football, where it ranks just 159th in the world. But Akhtar’s factory, where men and women in bright, flowing robes move plastic ball panels from machine to precision machine, is part of a long tradition of Sialkot football makers.

Local legend tells of a poor cobbler who made his fortune by repairing the punctured footballs of colonial-era British soldiers, then studying how to make them himself.

He was so successful that soldiers all over the region started buying from him. Business blossomed – but so did child labour.

A series of scandals, and changing technology, forced many factories to close. Others had to clean up their acts.

These days foreign brands frequently inspect Sialkot factories that make their footballs. Large signs on Akhtar’s factory walls sternly proclaim that child labour is forbidden and unions are allowed.

Workers that Reuters spoke to privately confirmed that conditions were good – the salary was mostly minimum wage, around $100 a month, but social security, life insurance and transport were extra benefits. A small government hospital sits on the premises.

In the past 40 years, Akhtar’s own family business, called Forward, has grown from 50 men to 1,400 employees – nearly a quarter of them are women.

Some wear the niqab. Others flaunt bright sandals with imitation jewels and wear robes the colour of tropical birds.

Almost all say they are the first woman in their family to work.

Shakila Ashrafi, a 38-year-old mother whose long beige coat reached down to her ankles, said one of her first purchases was a television.

When the World Cup kicks off in Brazil on June 12, they plan to invite their neighbours – all avid cricket supporters – to come and watch the strange foreign game being played half a world away.

“We will bring everyone together to see the match,” she said, her busy hands pausing for a moment. “I want them to see what we make and where the balls go.”

they should make an effort to write 'foot'ball.....'ball makers' and 'thermally bonded balls' sound so weird....lol

May 23, 2014

Pakistan to produce World Cup soccer balls

When FIFA World Cup's Chinese supplier Adidas failed to keep up with the demand of soccer balls in Rio de Janeiro, a Sialkot ball manufacturing company in Pakistan then stepped in and got the contract.

The 159th-ranked football nation and a country known as a cricketing nation - Pakistan will be exporting the soccer balls for the upcoming FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

It was when he felt the roar of the crowd at the 2006 World Cup in Germany that Pakistani factory owner Khawaja Akhtar first dreamt up a goal of his own: to manufacture the ball for the biggest soccer tournament on the planet.

Last year he finally got his chance - but only 33 days to make it happen.

Factory owner Khwaja Akhtar, who has made balls for the German Bundesliga, French league and the Champions League, is excited with the challenge of being a part of World Cup soccer history.

"It was when I felt the roar of the crowd at the 2006 World Cup that I dreamt of a goal of my own: to manufacture the ball for the biggest football tournament on the planet," Akhtar said.

"The people were chanting all around me. I just thought, this is the real thing. I was part of the crowd. I never had that kind of feeling before," added Akhtar.

Sialkot, a town in eastern Pakistan, was once the unassailable soccer ball production capital of the world -- exporting about 30 million balls a year, an estimated 40 percent of global production -- but India and China have recently caught up.

In December 2013, Brazil unveiled the latest soccer ball for the 2014 edition -- the Brazuca -- on the official FIFA World Cup website.

The Brazuca features a striking new design and new panel system. Six identical interlocking panels make up the ball's synthetic surface, thermally bonded to keep out moisture.

The month-long tournament, which kickstarts on June 12, has 32 of the worlds best sides locking horns in the most watched event in sports.

1223927692.jpg

Employees work near official 2014 World Cup balls at the final stage of their quality check inside the soccer ball factory that produces official match balls for the World Cup in Brazil, in Sialkot, Punjab province May 16, 2014.

foot2.jpg

foot3.jpg

foot8.jpg

foot4.jpg

foot5.jpg

foot6.jpg

foot7.jpg

Pakistan to produce World Cup soccer balls - Emirates 24/7

i posted this 3 days ago but its nice that this thread has more pictures

a huge feat and moment of pride for Pakistan. I still have fond memories of 2006 when France played Italy. I was in Kurram Agency (tribal areas) and the political agent had invited me and my family to watch the game at his house.....this was before High Definition displays or any of that kind of thing.

it's great that on football production we are regaining lost market shares...speaks volumes about the business acumen of the company as well as the solid infrastructure we have in place to deal with such a huge demand

All i can say is - the people of Sialkot....when they need to get shyt done, they get it done. Very driven, hard-working people. Sialkot has always been a success story.

All we need now is to put together a decent football team. Our target should be to reach into top 100 rankings.

Pakistan produced footballs for FIFA WC in past too. Hope this time "Made in Pakistan" will be written on it.

Pakistan produced footballs for FIFA WC in past too. Hope this time "Made in Pakistan" will be written on it.

I don't think foot ball is a nice thing to place the name of any country on it out of respect, keeping in view that it is kicked by feet thousands of times.

I don't think foot ball is a nice thing to place the name of any country on it out of respect, keeping in view that it is kicked by feet thousands of times.

lol, I was referring to the packaging. Have you ever seen "Made in" mark on any football? :P

Pakistan produces FIFA World Cup Brazuca ball
Pakistan has a major role to play in the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. Although not as a representative nation, the new Brazuca ball has Pakistan’s endorsement on it.
By Sid Selant • June 8, 2014
Pakistan produces FIFA World Cup Brazuca ball | DESIblitz

"It was a matter of great pride that the World Cup footballs were provided by a Pakistani company."
When the 2014 FIFA World Cup kicks off in São Paulo, Brazil on June 12 there is a very good chance that host nation Brazil and Croatia will be using a Brazuca ball made in Pakistan.

The nation, ranked 159th by ruling body FIFA, won’t be one of the thirty-two participating team’s at the most watched sporting event in the world. However its industry has joined forces with China as key suppliers of official Adidas AG (ADS) World Cup footballs.

Forward Sports factory in the eastern town of Sialkot, Pakistan have made the match balls. The plant stands in the mist of the hustle and bustle of the Grand Truck Road, the ancient highway that cuts across the subcontinent through to Kolkata.

Brazuca-1.jpg
Sialkot has a long tradition of producing footballs, with thirty million balls exported every year, making up nearly forty per cent of global soccer ball production.

Forward Sports has been working very closely with Adidas, and since 1995 have supplied officially recognised footballs for some high profile tournaments and competitions, including the Champions League, German Bundesliga and French League. Now the World Cup in Brazil will also see a Sialkot-made football passed around in its official line-up.

Khawaja Masood Akhtar, CEO of Forward Sports said: “It was when I felt the roar of the crowd at the 2006 World Cup that I dreamt of a goal of my own, to manufacture the ball for the biggest tournament on the planet.”

Such is the buzz in Pakistan that the Brazilian embassy in Islamabad had laid on a series of activities to celebrate the World Cup’s arrival. They had put on a football photo exhibition by Brazilian sports photojournalist, Jorge Rodrigues. The photos go back decades capturing players in action and crowd reactions.

Brazuca-3.jpg
Brazilian Ambassador Alfredo Leoni said: “It was a matter of great pride that the World Cup footballs were provided by a Pakistani company, giving Pakistan a connection with the global contest.”

In the factory, 90 per cent of those working on the new football were female. This is unusual for Pakistan, where women are largely expected to stay at home and look after the family. Akhtar admitted they were more diligent and meticulous than their male counterparts.

Mother of five Gulshan Bibi has no idea who Cristiano Ronaldo or Neymar are but she cannot wait for the World Cup, solely because she helped make the footballs and said:

“I’m really looking forward to the World Cup and inshallah (God willing) we will watch the matches. The balls we make will be used and all the women work here are very proud.”

Brazuca-Middle.jpg

Interestingly, the new ball to be used in Brazil offers a completely new spec to the one used in the 2010 World Cup that was held in South Africa. Named the ‘Jabulani football’, it caused much controversy due to its ‘erratic’ and ‘unpredictable flight’. Scientists admitted that the machine made Jabulani ‘too smooth and too perfectly spherical to fly straight’.

With this criticism in mind, Adidas went back to the drawing board and spent two and a half years creating a new, more suitable ball, which they named ‘Brazuca’ (slang for ‘Brazilian’).

Brazuca-4.jpg
To ensure it met all spec and conditions, 600 players and 30 teams tested it across ten countries. Some famous players involved included Lionel Messi (Argentina), Steven Gerrard (England), and Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany).

Now built for purpose, the Brazuca sees a revolutionised design with six interlocking panels, all identical to each other. The ball, which is made of a synthetic material has also been ‘thermally bonded’, keeping out moisture.

The whole process from start to finish takes forty minutes. The production of the ball begins with a flat white propeller shaped piece of polyurethane. Brazuca’s distinctive bright colours and glue panels are added to the ball’s rubber bladder.

Next, the seams are treated with a sealant, after which the ball is heated and ‘compressed in a spherical clamp’, bonding the panels together to give its correct shape:

“We take unskilled workers and train them. This is a job that is not available anywhere else. You have to get someone with good attitude and train them” said Akhtar.

Brazuca-5.jpg
Once the footballs have been produced, the Brazuca which is 437 grams in weight and 69 centimetres in circumference goes through a battery of tests on precision equipment exported from Germany.

They are tested for roundness, durability and impact on numerous machines. Then and only then do they pass the test.

While this is a great moment of pride for ordinary workers of Pakistan, who will have little chance of experiencing the World Cup in person, there has been much controversy over the labour cost.

The retail price of the Brazuca amounts to $160 (£95), whereas the monthly wage of Gulshan and her colleagues is only $100 (£60). Sadly, it seems that even hugely successful competitions like the FIFA World Cup are not innocent to exploiting the cheap labour of developing countries.

However, for millions of football fans in Pakistan, India and the other South Asian countries, all eyes will be on the World Cup, and not solely on the players but on the Brazuca which they have so proudly made.

Brazuca: World Cup ball is round, can be kicked
Fun facts about the Brazil soccer ball
By Brandon Hicks, CBC Sports Posted: Jun 12, 2014 1:51 PM ET Last Updated: Jun 12, 2014 2:12 PM ET

world-cup-ball.jpg

The 2014 World Cup ball is the roundest ball in the history of soccer. (Patrik Stollarz/AFP/Getty Images)

The Brazuca: Hi Tech World Cup ball 3:16

Facebook

Twitter

Reddit

Email
Every World Cup, sport and science converges in a meeting of minds. This process is often painful and uncomfortable.

It also creates a brand new soccer ball to be used at that year’s World Cup, which in no way is meant to capitalize on the sport’s popularity by giving fans another thing to buy along with their car flags and hats.

In 2014, that ball is called the “Brazuca,” designed by Adidas with consultation from pro footballers. Brazuca is a term for Brazilians living abroad and also acts as slang to describe national pride. It also almost sounds like “bazooka,” which is great because it makes you think of rockets.

Below is a roundup of the main facts you Need to Know™ about the Brazuca.

Fast Facts about the Brazuca

• It is round
  • It is filled with air
  • It can be kicked or headed
  • It can be picked up (this is illegal in soccer)

It is made of 6 panels

It is the least amount of panels for a ball in history. We’re told that this is a good thing for some reason.

It has dimples

Apparently the dimples help the ball travel predictably through the air. It also makes the ball look very cute when it smiles. This hasn’t been verified since, as of press time, the Brazuca hasn’t laughed at any of the jokes we have told it.

It has a camera

Inside of the Brazuca is a video camera, the surprisingly-named “Brazucam.” It is very useful if you like spinning really fast and then getting sick.

A history of balls

1930: First World Cup ball is used. It is round. Remains round for most of match.

1950: Ball continues to be round.

1974: Ball remains round

1990: Experimental phase. Ball becomes oval. Lasts three days. FIFA fires research team.

2010: Ball remains round. Players hate ball. Ball is sad.

2014: Present day. Ball is roundest it’s ever been.
Brazuca: World Cup ball is round, can be kicked - FIFA World Cup 2014 - CBC

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom