What's new

Pakistan to lead global rice exports in 2010: FAO

ameer219

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan to lead global rice exports in 2010: FAO

cup-with-rice.jpg

KARACHI: Pakistan is expected to lead increases in global rice exports in 2010. A report entitled, “Rice Market Monitor” published by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, has predicted that exports of rice from Pakistan will rise to 3.8 million tons this year, as compared to just 2.8 million tons in 2008.

The FAO report has also forecast Pakistan’s paddy production for 2010 to be about 10.2 million tons, which is 100,000 tons higher than 10.1 million tons of paddy cultivated in 2009.

Higher production has been attributed to “greater availability and use of fertilizers, hybrid seeds, and favorable prices for an active pace of exports” by the United Nations subsidiary.

According to the report, global rice trade forecast has been downgraded by 900,000 tons from earlier estimates to 30.4 million tons. The decrease has been largely attributed to “weak pace of imports”, in particular from Asian countries.

Despite the downgraded forecast, rice exports are expected to increase by 3.8 per cent, or 1.1 million tons globally over last year to 30.4 million tons. Paddy production forecast for the 2010 season has been set at 704.4 million tons.

The FAO report cited that the “expansion in globally traded volumes in 2010 is forecast to be met by increased exports from Pakistan, which looks set to ship record levels (of rice)”.

The report predicted that Pakistan is the only rice exporting nation that will increase its exports in this season. All other major rice exporters, including India, Egypt, Thailand, Myanmar and Cambodia will be impeded by a reduction in international demand for rice.

After processing, Pakistan’s total rice production touched 6.2 million tons in the harvest season of 2009 and is expected to reach 6.8 million tons in 2010.

The Food and Agriculture Organization has highlighted that “competitive prices and large inventories boosted by two consecutive good harvests have already enabled the country to ship 1.8 million tons by May”.

The report further stated that in order to satisfy growth in international demand for Pakistani rice, the country will have to “cut its reserves (of rice) by 19 per cent to 1.0 million tons”. However prices of rice have increased in the domestic market, despite higher production. Analysts have attributed this increase to rise in the cost of cultivation as well as strong local demand for high qualities of rice such as basmati rice.

Conversely, export growth has been dominated by lower qualities such as 25 per cent broken rice. Rice exporters have also expressed confidence that Pakistan will achieve record rice exports in 2010.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 16th, 2010.
Pakistan to lead global rice exports in 2010: FAO – The Express Tribune:pakistan:

Last edited:
dancing_baby.gif

We're gonna feed the world's belly. My gratitude to everybody at Pakistan Agricultural Research Council, NARC, Rise Research Institute Dokri and Rice Research Institute Kala Shah Kaku.

Damn you posted it first. I wanted to get the "thanks" that'll follow :)

Thanks for the dancing baby pips sparklingway

dancing_baby.gif

Yahoooooooooooooooo!
Its always good feeling to hear positive news about Pakistan. Ameer please try not to use UNDERLINE in whole of the paragraphs. Its hard to read that way. Bold i think is more than enough or underline the most important part only

Thanks a lot for sharing this :D

dancing_baby.gif

We're gonna feed the world's belly.

Hahaha! Alright, I will give you a "Thank"

This is very good news Sparkling, but if you read, I realized that if Pakistan's rice exports increases too much, it might cause Pakistan's own domestic consumption of rice prices to increase. Shouldn't we first deal with our domestic consumption to a reasonable price before we export them?
Yahoooooooooooooooo!
Its always good feeling to hear positive news about Pakistan. Ameer please try not to use UNDERLINE in whole of the paragraphs. Its hard to read that way. Bold i think is more than enough or underline the most important part only

Thanks a lot for sharing this :D

Point noted! Thanks for the feedback Zaki bhai!

Congratulation Pakistan:)

Btw anybody know what the status of Indian rice

Paddy cultivation need lots of water and it is main cause of decreasing water level in Indian Punjab.
Is it right to earn some foreign exchange we do waste our water resources?

Paddy cultivation need lots of water and it is main cause of decreasing water level in Indian Punjab.
Is it right to earn some foreign exchange we do waste our water resources?

Look dear , It is not a matter of wastage of water resources , it varies from one area to another e.g in the southern punjab land and resources are perfect for cotton , so it is a heavily grown cotton area ,likewise some northern punjab areas which are perfect for rice with water resources , so the rice is cultivated in those areas. Moreover it is good that water and land rosourses are converted into foreign exchange .
isnt it?:smokin::

dancing_baby.gif

We're gonna feed the world's belly. My gratitude to everybody at Pakistan Agricultural Research Council, NARC, Rise Research Institute Dokri and Rice Research Institute Kala Shah Kaku.

Firstly Congratulations Sir on this achievement.

However i have found something interesting here which applies to us in India too.

Despite this kind of growth in production it seems the local prices are going up rather than coming down, i presume this must be the effect of middle men stocking up for driving the prices sky high and then offload them for double to what they have been buying from farmers.

I hate these middle men, i keep away from derogatory words as much as possible but dogs like these in our both countries would definitely rot in hell when they die. :angry: Its always the common man suffering :cry: for everything.

Awesome news, good to hear some positive stories:tup:.

and all those who know Savour pulao in Ilsmabad and have a chance to taset it
would love it also

Pakistani rice is cheap due to its currency and a price undercut. One USD buys double the Pakistani Rupees than Indian. Also Pakistanis eat rice 4 times less than Bangladesh, hence there is some export room.

Last edited:
India’s basmati export may go up as flood impacts Pak crop

Large basmati rice buyers in the gulf region may now start buying more from India as the recent floods in Pakistan have severely hit the agriculture activity there.

Analysts say that such a situation augurs well for the Indian basmati rice exporters as they would be able to serve the continually increasing demand for the basmati from West Asia, US and UK which have been importing from Pakistan.

“The recent floods in Pakistan have been considered to be one of the deadliest in the last 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom