What's new

Pakistan to host Tent Pegging World Cup Qualifiers after India Scheme Exposed

Glad I learnt there is something called Tent Pegging from this thread. As they say, what you know is just a drop....

Glad I learnt there is something called Tent Pegging from this thread. As they say, what you know is just a drop....
It's fabulous! Play those videos someone attached. Rather different from our stuff; in the videos, they are riding country-breds (look at their ears, they curl in) and being Chaudhrys, Punjabi gentry, they probably have a string of four or five mounts or even more. We were rather more regimented, and I was taught by the same riding-master who had taught my father thirty years earlier, very strict, and no exuberance, no battle-cries, no twirling the lance, nothing, just the peg and a total focus. Our mounts were far, far superior.

Incidentally, when I was very young, A. C. Muthiah used to come to Calcutta for the polo, Polo at Xmas, we called it, the only chap from the south we saw playing. His uncle, of course, was a noted racing eminence, but he was more into polo.

Don't get me started on horses, I was crazy about riding, and used to feel uncomfortable and out of sorts on Mondays, that was always bran mash day.

Only played in Punjab, Gilgit people play (old style) Polo, while we used to play buzkashi but its almost dead coz now everyone just plays cricket.
Neza-bazi, you mean. Yes, I keep seeing very dramatic footage in YouTube videos.

Shame about polo dying out. Pakistan had some very fine players. I remember seeing the legendary Hesky Baig in action in 1961, when he helped us win the Centenary Gold Cup from the fearsome Ratanada Wanderers.

Old fashioned seven-a-side polo on 12 and 13 hand tats is still played in Manipur, where the British picked it up. Major Joe Shearer founded the Silchar Polo Club, then, in 1861, the Calcutta Polo Club, the oldest existing in the world today, both playing modern four-a-side polo.

tent pegging is still played in Pakistan, very popular regional sports, fairs or other events it is one of the attraction among other sports on such occasions.

what has happened is no more promoted on national tv like it was earlier. in Lahore there was a "Horse and Cattle Show" every year a huge event with full coverage on tv and this particular event was enjoyed everytime. it is no more popular, does not mean such events occur no more at regional level. they are and with full fervor.

besides one should not be a player of the said sport to become an ambassador and have a voice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom