What's new

Pakistan through a foreign lens

farhanalee7

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
22nd May 2014 | Wendy Wuyts
When I came to Pakistan to visit friends, I only knew a few stories about this country – the stories that reach Belgium and other countries in the West. In our media data bank you'll find stories about Malala, drone-attacks, Taliban and earthquakes. Nothing else.

My stay for a month was too short, but it helped shed light on the unknown beauty of this country.

I saw beautiful architecture, experienced amazing adventures, learnt more about the beauty, the truth and the generosity in the religions and met the most hospitable people. I got addicted to chai. Three weeks later, in Belgium, I still order chai latte, when I can.

There are also other experiences, which tell a different story. Crossing a street can be a nightmare and my planning was sometimes interrupted by power cuts (but sometimes it felt relaxing for an "always connected" girl from a information-overloaded world to spend some hours without phone and internet).

The more people I spoke to in Pakistan, the more I realised I don't know anything about the country. I only know it's more than what Malala, American soldiers and journalists tell us.

Here are a few pictures from my journey to Lahore and Hunza.

Wendy Wuyts is a filmmaker from Belgium
537dcbd612522.jpg

Children in Hunza
537dcb8b833b6.jpg

Men sit in the corner as a bulldozer clears a landslide on the Karakoram Highway.
537dcb9aada32.jpg

In the dark alleys of Androon, Lahore.
537dcb9df0142.jpg

537dcb9f48134.jpg

Materials for hair and the hookah.
537dcb8ac4b06.jpg

Young girl with captivating eyes, Lahore.
537dcb8a84f69.jpg

Hookah break on the country side, Lahore.

With safe environment and reasonably priced and Clean Hotels,good enough for lower middle class tourists.
actually safe environment and clean hotels is good enough...the price is never too expensive if they can pay a fortune to go to the alps or see statue of liberty they might as well pay similar for natural beauty!

Not really, not at all actually...
really? but hasnt security trashed the tourism industry? I mean at least that is what the news always want to advertise!

really? but hasnt security trashed the tourism industry? I mean at least that is what the news always want to advertise!

Security concerns from the rest of the country projected on to the North, yes. The "last year's brutal attack on mountaineers", not so much. The tourists who are well familiar with the North (mountaineers, trekkers, etc.) were the ones who were still coming, before the incident, and they never stopped, because they know that if there's any place safe in Pakistan then its the North. The leisure tourist was lost a long time ago.

Security concerns from the rest of the country projected on to the North, yes. The "last year's brutal attack on mountaineers", not so much. The tourists who are well familiar with the North (mountaineers, trekkers, etc.) were the ones who were still coming, before the incident, and they never stopped, because they know that if there's any place safe in Pakistan then its the North. The leisure tourist was lost a long time ago.

Sadly, it's the leisure tourists who bring in the money. Regular tourists usually don't spend luxuriously.

Even tourists from other Pakistani cities prefer to avoid the north, simply because they're unfamiliar with the area. I live in Karachi, and even I am apprehensive of going sight-seeing up north with my family. I really don't know what's it like out there.

Things like:

Are there descent places to stay in there?
Will the locals dislike my kind?
Is it safe?
Is there running water and acceptable electricity?

actually safe environment and clean hotels is good enough...the price is never too expensive if they can pay a fortune to go to the alps or see statue of liberty they might as well pay similar for natural beauty!

I was referring to long suffering Pakistani Lower Middle class population.For foreign tourist nothing less than two star accommodation.

American soldiers? Somebody has their geography mixed up.

There are American Soldiers in Pakistan, you need to catch up on the news.

Sadly, it's the leisure tourists who bring in the money. Regular tourists usually don't spend luxuriously.

Its usually not the leisure tourists, but the exotic ones. Lets look at tourism, the entire world knows the best tourist are the ones from 'The West'. Westerners who have money to burn. Whats the most a Pakistani will spend in Swat, or the northern areas? Compare that to an American Tourist who's coming in to Lahore so he can talk about "how he faced down terrorist".

Yes, he was a dumba$$ friend.

Actually its the opposite.These regulars spend many many times more per capita than any leisure tourist. The only way leisure tourism wins out is with sheer numbers. And it's not quite sad either; leisure tourists are a plague and their absence has meant that our North is still untouched, pristine and just as spectacular as ever.

Even tourists from other Pakistani cities prefer to avoid the north, simply because they're unfamiliar with the area. I live in Karachi, and even I am apprehensive of going sight-seeing up north with my family. I really don't know what's it like out there.

Things like:

Are there descent places to stay in there?
Will the locals dislike my kind?
Is it safe?
Is there running water and acceptable electricity?

Frankly speaking, and I mean no offence, this is your fault. It takes hardly a simple phone call or an internet search to get all the answers for these questions. You could just ask me, for example.

Next, the main reasons why the local tourist has stayed away are 1) The travel times needed for trips to the north due to its remoteness and 2) People just don't know anything of what unbelievable things are held up there. Honestly speaking, I for one am extremely glad for these; it's kept the imbeciles out of these sacred places, who would've otherwise completely ruined them.

I was referring to long suffering Pakistani Lower Middle class population.For foreign tourist nothing less than two star accommodation.

To heck with them! They are a plague, they don't deserve any of it.

Last edited:
I was hoping for this :yahoo:

What's a good place up north if I decide to take time off with my wife? Need relatively reliable facilities and of course, safety.

Cheers!

First note that when I say the North, I mean Gilgit-Baltistan and Azad Kashmir, not northern KPK.

You can close your eyes, throw a pebble on the map, travel there and I assure you, you'll find a place beyond your imagination. That's just how Gilgit Baltistan is. You'll find reliable facilities everywhere and it's safer than your own house, I guarantee it.

Contrary to popular belief, there is plenty of tourism infrastructure, after all, not too long ago, plenty of tourists visited these places regularly. And there are hardly any places on the planet safer than our North.

Now if you have any specific area in mind, I'd be able to help you better. The North is pretty big you know.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom