What's new

Pakistan takes deliveries of 3 SAAB-2000 Aircraft

SSGcommandoPAK

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

According to publicly available import and export (EXIM) registries, the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) received three Saab 2000 aircraft on 06 April 2019. These Saab 2000s appear to be from an order of three aircraft made by Pakistan’s Directorate General of Defence Purchases (DGDP) in February 2018.

Skyworld Aviation, an aircraft sales and leasing broker, delivered the aircraft – i.e., J-038, J-024, and J-062 – to the DGDP in November 2018. The PAF had originally ordered five Saab 2000s, i.e., four to house the Erieye airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) system and one for VIP flights and training.

In 2012, one of the four Erieye AEW&C was written-off, while two were seriously damaged. However, the two damaged aircraft were repaired at Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) and, in turn, resulted in PAC building depot-level maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) capabilities.

In 2017, the PAF reportedly ordered three additional Erieye AEW&C aircraft (Air Forces Monthly), of which the first was slated for delivery in December 2017 and the remaining two in 2018. If completed, this would raise the PAF fleet to six, which it trimmed to four following the 2005 earthquake in Kashmir.

Quwa’s examination of EXIM logs show that Saab made major radar equipment deliveries to Pakistan in 2017 and 2018. In March 2019, Sweden’s Inspectorate of Strategic Products confirmed that Saab sold an Erieye AEW&C system to Pakistan in 2018. However, the Inspectorate had reportedly added that this Erieye order was in relation to the PAF’s original order (i.e., to replace the written-off unit), and that “no new export transactions have been approved to Pakistan since 2007.”

According to publicly available import and export (EXIM) registries, the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) received three Saab 2000 aircraft on 06 April 2019. These Saab 2000s appear to be from an order of three aircraft made by Pakistan’s Directorate General of Defence Purchases (DGDP) in February 2018.

Skyworld Aviation, an aircraft sales and leasing broker, delivered the aircraft – i.e., J-038, J-024, and J-062 – to the DGDP in November 2018. The PAF had originally ordered five Saab 2000s, i.e., four to house the Erieye airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) system and one for VIP flights and training.

In 2012, one of the four Erieye AEW&C was written-off, while two were seriously damaged. However, the two damaged aircraft were repaired at Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) and, in turn, resulted in PAC building depot-level maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) capabilities.

In 2017, the PAF reportedly ordered three additional Erieye AEW&C aircraft (Air Forces Monthly), of which the first was slated for delivery in December 2017 and the remaining two in 2018. If completed, this would raise the PAF fleet to six, which it trimmed to four following the 2005 earthquake in Kashmir.

Quwa’s examination of EXIM logs show that Saab made major radar equipment deliveries to Pakistan in 2017 and 2018. In March 2019, Sweden’s Inspectorate of Strategic Products confirmed that Saab sold an Erieye AEW&C system to Pakistan in 2018. However, the Inspectorate had reportedly added that this Erieye order was in relation to the PAF’s original order (i.e., to replace the written-off unit), and that “no new export transactions have been approved to Pakistan since 2007.”
@Tps43 , @Khafee , @fatman17 , @Imran Khan , @The Eagle , @Horus , @waz , @Zarvan , @Quwa , @Path-Finder , @Windjammer

Edit: Does this mean we have total 9 Erieye AEW&C ?? or total 6 AEW&C and 3 Sab-2000 jets..

Last edited:
My understanding is that Saab will deliver the AWACS system in kit form, the Saab 2000 air-frames will be acquired from a third party and all fittings carried out by PAC in house saving loads of wonga ($$$). This is great but I feel we should have ordered the Globaleye system - this provides more capability including elint etc.

So we originally had 4. 3 Damaged, 2 Repaired making it total 3 operational. And with delivery of 3 more. now we have 6 Erieye AWACS and 4 ZDK-3 Right? Is my calculations correct?
As i remember 049 is dead

In March 2019, Sweden’s Inspectorate of Strategic Products confirmed that Saab sold an Erieye AEW&C system to Pakistan in 2018. However, the Inspectorate had reportedly added that this Erieye order was in relation to the PAF’s original order (i.e., to replace the written-off unit), and that “no new export transactions have been approved to Pakistan since 2007.”

So 5 Erieye AEW&C in total. What will happen to the rest of the aircraft? Are we adding a different system to them? Or will the damage-repaired aircraft will be replaced with these with systems transferred to the new aircraft?

These are passenger version airframes only. They will not host the radar.

ACM Sohail Aman pushed for this deal and rest of the airforce is not happy with it. The guy was known for extending favours to airforce families.

C-130's are dying so are a few other systems. Transport fleet is the most neglected one since decades with absolutely no development on it. I mean cargo and strategic airlift capability and not passenger transfer.

My understanding.

Originally 4 Saab Erieye and one VIP=5

One write off= 3 Erieye+ 1 VIP left

Acquired 3 Saab 2000= 3 Erieye, 4 ViP

replacement for written off on one of newly acquired Saab 2000 = 4 working Saab Erieye, 3 VIP.

So we originally had 4. 3 Damaged, 2 Repaired making it total 3 operational. And with delivery of 3 more. now we have 6 Erieye AWACS and 4 ZDK-3 Right? Is my calculations correct?

Back
Top Bottom