What's new

Pakistan stripped of 2011 World Cup hosting rights

India_loves_peace

New Recruit

Reaction score
17 Apr 2009, 1947 hrs IST, REUTERS

DUBAI: Pakistan has been stripped of hosting rights for the 2011 World Cup because of the 'uncertain security situation' in the country, the

International Cricket Council said on Friday.

"It is a regrettable decision (but) our number one priority is to create certainty and deliver a safe, secure and successful event," ICC president David Morgan said in a statement.

Pakistan were due to co-host the event with India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka

http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Pakistan-stripped-of-2011-WC-hosting-rights/articleshow/4415066.cms

It was bound to happen...As long as US is in Afghanistan Pakistan's security will go from bad to worse.

Very unfortunate and pretty harsh decision. They could have at least waited till mid 2010 to assess the situation in Pakistan. But I guess there was lot of pressure from International cricket boards who were shocked after the Lahore incident.

A big loss for the cricket fans in Pakistan.

Thanks a lot terrorists. Next time there is a cricket match in your neighbourhood, I hope PAF cluster bombs it. :angry:

Friday, April 17, 2009

DUBAI: Pakistan has been stripped of hosting rights for the 2011 World Cup because of the 'uncertain security situation' in the country, the International Cricket Council said on Friday.

"It is a regrettable decision (but) our number one priority is to create certainty and deliver a safe, secure and successful event," ICC president David Morgan said in a statement.

Pakistan were due to co-host the event with India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

During the first day of ICC’s Executive Board’s meeting, Australia and New Zealand firmly opposed Pakistan’s co-hosting of the matches of World Cup 2011.

David Morgan said: “I am unhappy to make this decision but it is has been made to ensure security of the cricket players.”

The World Cup Secretariat will now be shifted from Lahore and the World Cup matches will now be hosted by Sri Lanka, India and Bangladesh.

According to sources, India was hopeful of support from India in this regard but it failed to extend the same.
(LOL what s this supposed to mean?:what:)
Report of attack on Sri Lankan team in Lahore was also presented at the above meeting.

Friday, April 17, 2009

LAHORE: Reacting on ICC decision to take away World Cup 2011 matches from Pakistan, former skipper Zaheer Abbas said Friday that ICC had slapped the face of country’s cricket.

Talking to Geo News, he regretted the ICC decision and termed it hasty and unjust.

Abbas said that law and order situation was bad in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh too, adding that the entire region was in the grip of unrest.

To a question, he said that Board for Control of Cricket in India (BCCI) had never supported Pakistan. He further said that PCB needed to raise its voice against the ICC decision.

unless we as a nation without any excuses dont stand up and reject the terribans, we will become outcasts of the world.

This is very sad news I do hope normalcy does return to Pakistan soon, But this does smack double standards I mean no offence to Indians, Bengalis or Sri lankans but the security situation in subcontinent is very unstable just recently IPL was shifted to South Africa on security grounds, Sri Lanka is facing daily attacks from Tamil tigers and there has been mutiny in the army of Bangladesh, As long as USA and Nato are in Afghanistan there will be no peace in subcontinent.

unless we as a nation without any excuses dont stand up and reject the terribans, we will become outcasts of the world.

Terribans!

Cool man.

Bad news for pakistan cricket. i was hoping to watch a match at lahore and eat some lahori food! my friend had promised to take me.

Pakistani job for cricket gone also finical loss for Pakistan and Pakistani players. Allah help us all Pakistani Muslims in this dark time.

thinkin from security point of view, it was a wise decision.

Now i fear it of being stripped of the subcontinent as a whole........btw i am sure the pcb would get huge compensations for their losses if demanded strongly.....thnx

Back
Top Bottom