What's new

Pakistan Space and Satellite Developments

Fails! University of Massachusetts at Lowell Pays $100,000 for Shipments to Pakistani Missile Entity
Tuesday June 18, 2013

The University of Massachusetts at Lowell has chosen to settle with BIS for neglecting to obtain the necessary licenses required by Section 744.11 and Supplement No.4 to Part 744 of the Regulations for export to the Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (“SUPARCO”), an organization that has been on the Entity List since November 1998, as it was “determined to be involved in nuclear or missile activities.” In September 1, 2007, UML exported antennae and cables valued at $12,480 and designated as EAR99 to SUPARCO without an export license. UML again exported to SUPARCO without permission in October 6, 2007, this time transporting an atmospheric testing device valued at $191,870—also designated as EAR99.

Based on these charges, and had UML chosen to fight them, they could have faced:

The maximum civil penalty of up to the greater of $250,000 per violation or twice the value of the transaction that is the basis of the violation
Denial of export privileges and/or
Exclusion from practice
Luckily for UML, BIS was merciful, due to UML’s timely response to the charges and desire to settle. However, even these considerations could not save UML from:

• A $100,000 fine
• A two year probationary period

Fails! University of Massachusetts at Lowell Pays $100,000 for Shipments to Pakistani Missile Entity « ECTI Blog

Pakistani Techie helps installing communication network for UAE satellite station
Saturday May 25, 2013

By Farooq Baloch

554011-satelliteafp-1369425196-792-640x480.jpg

Yahsat is the first ground communications satellite station in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries. PHOTO: AFP/ FILE

KARACHI: The United Arab Emirates (UAE) joined the league of the world’s big players in satellite communications in April 2011 by launching its first satellite into orbit – now it has two. The satellites are managed from Yahsat Satellite Tracking Ground Station in the UAE. A veteran Pakistani IT expert, who assisted in network installation of this project, is now aiming for a skilled IT workforce for his homeland.

Built by Astrium of the United Kingdom – a wholly-owned subsidiary of European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS), a global leader in aerospace, defence and related services – Yahsat is the first ground communications satellite station in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries.

Yahsat Satellite Ground Tracking Station is a flagship project of Texpo, a leading technology infrastructure provider based in Dubai. Texpo’s CEO Dr Sarfaraz Alam said, the company was responsible for cable networking installations. This involved sub-communications systems installation based on the requirements of its client Astirum UK Ltd.

Besides that, Texpo also won a tender for e-government in 2006 to evaluate 22 services of different government departments of Dubai, he said.

Born in Karachi, Alam belongs to a middle-class family with the aspiration for quality education to get the best life has to offer. After completing his schooling from Karachi, he moved to the United Kingdom for higher studies.

He founded Texpo in 2000 in the basement of his residence in London while he was a masters’ student at Academy of Professional Studies College, an affiliate of Fredrick Taylor International University. In 2003, he completed his doctorate in information technology, along with business, majoring in Advance IT Infrastructure from Brunel University London. He was recently awarded CIO of the Year award by Teradata.

The company started as a software developer but soon realised that businesses were outsourcing their projects to companies in India and Pakistan because of their low costs, Alam said.

“We, therefore, decided to do something different and create a niche of our own,” he said. “I started building expertise in data centres and moved to Dubai in 2005 because it provided immense opportunity for our business and there weren’t many companies offering such services.”

Texpo has established itself as a leading IT solutions provider with a client base in the Middle East, Central and South Asia and North America, earning over $5 million in revenues annually. Texpo is also looking forward to strategic expansion into different regions.

“We have initiated our business plan to commence operations in Brazil, Canada, Sydney and neighbouring GCC countries,” Alam said.

Texpo has also extended its operations to Pakistan by opening a Karachi office three years ago – the reasons for which are not limited to commercial aspects only.

“I have come back to Pakistan for two reasons. I want to create 100,000 jobs in the ICT sector of the country during next five years and serve the country by developing highly skilled IT workforce,” Alam said.

Texpo is in the process of facilitating talent in IT through its project ‘Mentoring a talent’, which began last year to groom students who have the right IQ for IT. “Under this programme, we are giving scholarships to students from Karachi to Gilgit-Baltistan. We have already given 20 scholarships,” he said.

In the first stage, Texpo pays full university fee for those who qualify for its scholarship programme by passing their online exams. Once the students acquire degrees, they have to sit through another exam. Those who pass this exam are offered a paid internship in any of Texpo global offices for six months.

In the third stage, these students take another exam and those who are successful secure a permanent job placement in Texpo.

“This procedure is because I acknowledge the importance of students learning how to build different operating systems or platforms by hand rather than just through software.”

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=237978#ixzz2XN76QNh8

Asim Mughal

interview.jpg

Tell us a bit about Cassini project and its objectives.

NASA/JPL's Cassini Project is a part of the deep space exploration project to explore our solar system. A series of spacecrafts have been launched for this purpose. Cassini's goal is to conduct a detailed study of planet Saturn, its rings, its magnetosphere, its icy satellites and Titan. Cassini spacecraft is carrying Huygens Probe, this contains scientific data analysis instruments. The Probe will be launched and reach the planet surface, collecting data as it descends.

When did you join the project.

I joined the project in early 90s.

How you got involved in this project.

I started working on a student satellite project SURF-SAT while in my senior year at Caltech. On graduation, I was offered a full-time position. Cassini project is one of the many project I work on.

What exactly your role was in this project.

I was part of the spacecraft telecommunication equipment team of engineers who design and build circuits and instruments used in primary and secondary communication link.

Tell us something about your childhood?

I grew up in Karachi, was always interested in electronics and making science projects. Used to hear Radio Pakistan on my 'diode radio' which worked without batteries. Used to light up bulbs during load shedding using residual charge from iron rods dug deep in the ground. That kind of fun stuff.

How many brothers and sisters are you?

One elder brother, Atif, who is a mechanical engineer. One sister, Komal younger than me, biology student, then a younger brother who graduated MBA this year.

How was your school education?

I studied at Habib Public School, Karachi. Completed my O-Level (Cambridge) and went on to Aitchison College Lahore for HSC (equivalent to A-levels).

Were you inspired by anyone in your family to decide on your carrier?

Certainly, my parents have been very supportive all along with my inclination. The toys and gifts I used to get were all geared towards experimentation and details on how things works. Modular kits which help put circuits together to books on science and astronomy.

Tell us something about your father?

My father Dr Mohammad Rafique Mughal,T.I., is an ex-Director General of Archaeology. A scholar in Indus Valley Civilization and currently a visiting scholar at Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA.

Tell us about your family and children?

I am married for almost seven years now. My wife is, Iraj, a psychologist, we have one five year old son, Ibtahaj.

How was your education experience in the College and University in Pakistan?

Extremely good, enjoyed it. I should mention, after Aitchison College, I took admission in Govt. College Lahore in double Math & Physics. Enjoyed worked on the Physics experiments.

How did you manage on higher education – scholarship or on your own?

Alhumdullilah, I was fortunate to receive full financial assistance from universities I attended. Otherwise, it would not have been possible for me to attend universities here. This included combination of grant, loan and work-study. Naturally, working on the campus jobs for students was the only source of income for personal expenses. I had to live very modestly to say the least.

How was your experience as a Pakistani student in US?

It was wonderful! I was very surprised to find hardly anyone knew where Pakistan was on world's map. I did my best to educate my friends and colleagues about Pakistan. I found everyone very friendly and accommodating.

How did you move to Informative Technology?

It came very naturally before I realized it. The research I was conducting required writing software programs for design and analysis of our circuits. This meant, we had to maintain the computing infrastructure which hosted the programs and analysis tools. I was taking care of those, laid down network, setup the design center and before I know I was responsible for IT for the design center.

What are your achievement as a Pakistani in US?

It is a difficult question for one to answer. Alhamdullilah, I can say I have been blessed with the following:
- Graduated from California Institute of Technology
[Just this month ranked No.1 university in United States by U.S. News & World Report]
- Successful completion of degrees in Physics & Electrical Engineering
- Research & development of SURF-SAT, a student satellite by JPL/NASA.
- My career at Jet Propulsion Laboratory which included working on several deep space missions, including CASSINI which has been recently featured.
- Network Systems & Security Group technical manager at NASA Ames Research center. Included administration of root name server of NASA, one of 9 servers in the world and primary computer security contact for NASA Science Internet.
- Founding of Pakistan News Service.

How did you feel while working with NASA as a Pakistani?

I think it was great and a good learning experience. NASA is certainly home to great minds and its contribution to American society and to the world is phenomenal. I wish Pakistan had a similar civilian space program.

What is the Pakistani representation in the international IT field?

There are definitely other Pakistanis in the field who have reached the top but percentage wise very few, only a handful.

What projects are you working at present in Pakistan?

Currently, looking at live internet broadcast (webcast) of TV and radio from Pakistan. Recently founded 'Pakistan Computer Emergency Response Team' (http://pakcert.com.pk) to provide timely information on computer security to IT companies & professionals in Pakistan. We are expanding it further. I am also managing off-shore software development projects in Pakistan.

What are your future goals and Objectives?

I will like to continue with my career in IT field and perhaps startup my own company in this field. Obviously, I will be looking at ways of taking my experience and utilizing it in Pakistan.

When and why did you decide to start Pakistan News Service?

Pakistan News Service was founded on August 14, 1991, arising out of need for providing news and information on Pakistan to students and professionals. Pakistan News Service was the first on-line media of Pakistan reaching all six continents across the globe. At the same time, 100% paperless operation and free of cost to the readers.

How beneficial you can make Pakistan News Service to the Community?

I will like to see Pakistan News Service continue as one of the major portals of information on Pakistan and bringing all of Pakistan to one's desktop. We have expanded to add discussion forum, featured links and section to feature Pakistanis highlighted in the media in their respective fields. Obviously, more community input and feedback the better. We are also adding more community feedback sections. It is a service and its resources are open for utilization free of cost. I invite everyone to come and join the virtual Pakistani community on the Internet.

What suggestion you can give to groom Pakistani Youth in IT and can you develop an effective plan for their placement in local and foreign market?

Certainly, I come across many opportunities which remain open because of unavailability of qualified IT professionals. I see an increasing demand in IT field as computers take on more roles in our daily lives. My suggestion is to start with Computer Science or related technical degree program. I will suggest look for initial jobs in fortune 500 companies to get familiar with wide diversity of IT field and then go on with specialization in the area of choice.

Web Master Engr. Mughal, ContactPakistan.com and its team thanks you for your time and efforts to put this interview into reality.

Engr Mughal,
Thank you for taking time out to conduct an interview. I appreciate it
very much. I am also very pleased to know your dedication and commitment on your
own time and energy in projecting Pakistan on the Internet. If I or my organization can be of any help, please do call on us.

Asim Raza - Pride of Pakistan -* ContactPakistan.com

Counter terrorism, crime control: 'satellite technology widely beneficial for country'
Thursday June 27, 2013

Member Space Electronics Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (Suparco) Dr Muhammad Riaz Suddle said on Wednesday that farmers or entrepreneurs can access the internet or telephone by using satellite technology and through satellite they know about the market price of their products.

Muhammad Riaz was delivering a lecture on "Satellite Technology for Socio-economic development and security of a developing country like Pakistan organised by Pakistan Engineering Congress. Example of such program is the E-Choupal project in India and African regional centre for computing in Kenya, these projects allow farmers to access local internet for information about market prices and weather conditions using rural internet kiosk.

He also said that disparity in quality education opportunities between the urban and rural areas of Pakistan can be overcome by using tele-education. Pakistan can use this technology in crop estimation, agriculture planning, pest detection and weather forecasting. Riaz said that satellite technology will be beneficial for Pakistan in counter terrorism and crime control, damage assessment and border security, search and rescue and maritime security.

Riaz said that Suparco's Space Vision 2040 has already been approved by the NCA. He said that currently around 4,000 trained Suparco scientists, engineers and technicians are deployed on its various projects. Suparco has been pursuing an extensive HRD programme, which include DAE, BS, MS and PhD degree programmes as well as on-the-job trainings, both within and outside the country.

Speaking on the occasion President PEC Engineer Riaz Ahmad Khan said that satellite technology today have become an integral part of global information, infrastructure, connecting people across the world and serving the communication needs of individuals, businesses and government. Khan said that latest generation of high powered communication satellites allows the use of smaller antennas there reducing the cost of ground equipment. These interventions help connecting people, improving health care service delivery and providing access to quality education.

Counter terrorism, crime control: 'satellite technology widely beneficial for country' | Business Recorder

When does Pakistan plan to have its first manned mission?

For Pakistani members here, do you think who is more advanced in the space program, Pakistan or Iran?

Pakistan should spend the money on reducing poverty and improve its economy, rather than use it on fancy stuff like space technology.

Back
Top Bottom