What's new

Pakistan should consider Y 20 & MI 26

Il-78's we operate can double as strategic airlifters so a sane option would be to procure more of those if a need for such a role ever arises, although ideally a more modern and far more efficient platform should be looked, preferably one that can refuel both F-16's and other platforms.
As for the C-130's in my opinion nothing better than a herk to replace a herk, but keeping in view our foreign relations right now, procurement of C-130J's doesn't seem in reach. A sensible option would be the C295 or another platform in that category, complimented by a smaller platform, again, preferably one we already operate i.e. CN235.

Il-78's we operate can double as strategic airlifters so a sane option would be to procure more of those if a need for such a role ever arises, although ideally a more modern and far more efficient platform should be looked, preferably one that can refuel both F-16's and other platforms.
As for the C-130's in my opinion nothing better than a herk to replace a herk, but keeping in view our foreign relations right now, procurement of C-130J's doesn't seem in reach. A sensible option would be the C295 or another platform in that category, complimented by a smaller platform, again, preferably one we already operate i.e. CN235.
IL-78s are old and heavy maintenance.IMO if funds allow they will be among the first ones to go.

Excellent thread. For all those who are saying we don't need strategic lift platforms like Y-20 please look again at the map of India (size wise) ... and our history of how India took Srinagar, Siachen even Dakha using these assets.
Pakistan has traditionally a failure in case of effective air power employment during wars, (Now I am not saying PAF performed badly in case someone is thinking about making noise against this argument. Air power is much bigger concept beyond fighters and bombers. Even their employment remained questionable 1971 war, Kargil in case).

The notion that strategic lift is not necessary is frankly rediculous, especially in the setting of the existence of cold start. The ability for rapid deployment and redeployment of troops and equipment on mass is how wars are won. Much like the airforce which can perform a higher number of sorties and in a more raoid sequence will often gain the advantage. Bringing rapid force to bear often will gain you the tactial advantage in conflicts. To that end heavy and medium transport is tremendously important. While i think that medium lift via Mi-17 and even AW139 and C-130 is more important for a country like Pakistan,having a good number of heavy lift assets is also very important. In these you need both choppers and planes. For planes really 3 options exist for PAF: C-17, IL-76, and in near future Y-20. The Y-20 is the most realistic option here but probably only 3-4 would be needed. For choppers you do have the Mi-26 which is very unreliable and expensive to operate but can nearly lift the load tgat C-130 can, but you also have Chinook (more fuel efficient), Super/King stalion (half way between lift of Chinook and Mi-26), but also you could get Super Frelon or Z-8 from China which are positioned between Chinook and Super stalion. Z-8 likely more realistic.

Back
Top Bottom