What's new

Pakistan purchases potatoes from India to cover shortfall from floods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Joseph

Reaction score
Indian potatoes come to flood-hit Pakistan's rescue

Though still undecided on the Indian offer of $5 million aid, flood devastated Pakistan has started importing potatoes from India amid reports that rising waters have washed away the bulk of country's kharif crop.

The production of vegetable crop along with cereals and foodgrains has been severely hit by the unprecedented floods and media reports say that the country is running an acute shortage of farm produce shooting the prices sky high.

The imported potatoes will be auctioned in Lahore's vegetable market.

The first consignment of Indian potatoes, comprising about 25 trucks, arrived in Lahore via the Wagah land border on Monday.
:cheers:

Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, one of the regions hit hardest by the floods triggered by heavy monsoon rains, has traditionally been the main source of red potatoes during July and August.

This year's crop has been ruined by the floods, giving rise to apprehensions of a shortage of potatoes in the coming days.

Haji Shahjahan, President of the Wholesale Vegetable Welfare Association, said, "In order to curb the rising prices of potatoes, Indian potatoes have started reaching the country.:cheers:

Monday's consignment was the first of a series of imports.

Other large imported quantities are on their way and are likely to reach during the current week."

Shahjahan said potato prices had already surged in the wholesale and retail markets and a 100-kg sack’s price has soared to Rs4,500.

The nationwide supply of imported potatoes will begin after the auction in Lahore, he said.

The imports are likely to help stabilise potato prices in Pakistan’s markets, easing financial pressure on consumers already groaning under the impact of rampant inflation, traders said.

The prices of a majority of fruits and vegetables surged in the Pakistani market during the past week mainly due to the devastation of crops by floods in major producing areas of Sindh, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Punjab and Balochistan provinces.

Indian potatoes come to flood-hit Pakistan's rescue - India - DNA

In holy month of ramzan and the difficult times we should help and cooperate for the sake of humanity. :angel:

Poor people and flood victims which are suffering from food shortage and high inflation will benefit from it.

We paid for the potatoes - What's the big deal ?Or is it a privilege to have Indian Potatoes?

We paid for the potatoes - What's the big deal ?Or is it a privilege to have Indian Potatoes?
who is acusing u of not paying ? did anyone say that we are giving that for free? why are u coming up with explanation? why are u behaving arrogantly ?

who is acusing u of not paying ? did anyone say that we are giving that for free? why are u coming up with explanation? why are u behaving arrogantly ?
No but your media is making headlines as if India has done us some huge favor by selling us potatoes.I am not showing arrogance - your media is.

No but your media is making headlines as if India has done us some huge favor by selling us potatoes.I am not showing arrogance - your media is.
this is a news like any other new... and if u understand the trends of news on website, they show the most recent news as a headline. there is no news like that on television. and tell me where is the arrogance in the news. just tell me any source which is behaving arrogantly, i dare u

Nobody is saying that, also in time of grief and natural calamity we must get united.

As for India there is all time inflation never seen before specially in food items.

I will give u a example and all over the world wheat and cotton crop are worst due to various reason.

And India can earn big by exporting but our govt. is not allowing it due to high prices at home. But Govt. is allowing export to Bangladesh because of brotherly gesture and pakistan due to flood situations. Otherwise we need more potatoes they are really expensive in India due to inflation.

then dont buy simple ..
write a letter to your government..

Its business as usual..whats the big deal?? do you make headlines when your illegal Indian country men are caught working in Malaysia?? Why is indian media so retarded?

Its business as usual..whats the big deal?? do you make headlines when your illegal Indian country men are caught working in Malaysia?? Why is indian media so retarded?

Because its the Indian media - the UN had to slam them for their nonsensical coverage and slander of their spokesman remember.

Poor people and flood victims which are suffering from food shortage and high inflation will benefit from it.

Why rich people and those not affected from floods shouldn't buy subject potatoes?

Pak govt. is not helping to transport potatoes from Swat Dir but willing to 10 times more price to indians.

BTW.. who in Pak govt. is taking shots? and taking advantage of situation?

Poor Indian public will surly get benefit from trade with Pakistan and Pakistani money....!!!!
Nice Job Pakistani!!!!! :cheers:

stop being to clever and sarcastic, what he meant was in good spirit unlike you.

Why rich people and those not affected from floods shouldn't buy subject potatoes?

Pak govt. is not helping to transport potatoes from Swat Dir but willing to 10 times more price to indians.

BTW.. who in Pak govt. is taking shots? and taking advantage of situation?

you know these are genetically modified potatoes made by RAW that will turn anyone who eats them into Indian agents, omg how low can the RAW stoop lol Im sure this is coming from you soon too :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom