What's new

Pakistan President has assets ‘beyond his means’ of $1.5 billion

deathfromabove

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan President has assets ‘beyond his means’ of $1.5 billion

Zahid Hussain

The President of Pakistan, Asif Ali Zardari, has assets of $1.5 billion (£920 million) around the world, according to the country’s main anti-corruption body.

A report by the National Accountability Bureau said that the wealth accumulated by Mr Zardari was “beyond his means”. It said Mr Zardari allegedly owned properties and bank accounts in several countries, including Britain, the US and Spain. In 1996 he allegedly bought a $4 million, 355-acre estate in Surrey.

Investigators said that most of Mr Zardari’s fortune was made during his wife Benazir Bhutto’s two terms in office as Prime Minister in the 1990s. They alleged that the money had come from kickbacks and commissions on government deals.

The report was given to the Supreme Court as it deliberated over a proposed amnesty for the country’s leaders.

Mr Zardari had faced six cases of kickbacks and misuse of power that were terminated under an agreement known as the National Reconciliation Ordinance in October 2007.

The amnesty, brokered by the US and Britain, was introduced by former President Pervez Musharraf under a deal that paved the way for Ms Bhutto to return home from self-imposed exile. Ms Bhutto was assassinated just over two months later, leaving Mr Zardari to lead her party to victory in general elections in February 2008 and then become President after General Musharraf resigned in August.

Mr Zardari’s aides dismissed the allegations as politically motivated. Farhatullah Babar, the chief spokesman for the President, said: “Reports of $1.5 billion dollars of national and foreign assets allegedly belonging to President Zardari are no more than regurgitation of a decade old unproven politically motivated allegations.”

Pakistan President has assets ‘beyond his means’ of $1.5 billion - Times Online

to every rise there is a fall...the less he pays for what hes done here the more he will pay in the hereafter

what ...????only 1.5 billion $......
he is president for god's sake...dont undermine him....a chief minister of a small state jharkhand has amassed in excess of Rs.2000 crore. that too in only 2 yrs.....
zardari must have more than 5B. $...feel free to disagree:cheers:

They have no idea how much he has in his swiss accounts, its higher than $1.5 bill.

what ...????only 1.5 billion $......
he is president for god's sake...dont undermine him....a chief minister of a small state jharkhand has amassed in excess of Rs.2000 crore. that too in only 2 yrs.....
zardari must have more than 5B. $...feel free to disagree:cheers:

Is it true that Indians have more the 500 billion in Swiss banks

just $1.5 billion:hitwall: he is saint compared to many indian politicians
our dead CM of Andhra pradesh has around $15 billion :cheers:

Some estimates its more than 1 trillion almost sam size of indian GDP, damn these politicians ruining us:flame:

it stands at 1456 billion / 1.4trillion that more than the rest of the world combined. the second highest are the russians with 470 billion which is 4 times less than us . the money is 13 times our foreign debt....if only we could get it here . we would have enough money to give 1,00,000 each to 45 crore poor people

Is it true that Indians have more the 500 billion in Swiss banks

Some estimates its more than 1 trillion almost sam size of indian GDP, damn these politicians ruining us:flame:

it stands at 1456 billion / 1.4trillion that more than the rest of the world combined. the second highest are the russians with 470 billion which is 4 times less than us . the money is 13 times our foreign debt....if only we could get it here . we would have enough money to give 1,00,000 each to 45 crore poor people

Whats the basis of these 'estimates' ? Swiss Banks are after all about secrecy, there is no actual credibility to the numbers out there.

Further, India (and Pakistan) need to crack down on tax evasion with an iron fist. That by itself will be a big measure by all means.

Last edited:
there is this joke that we have for our politicians

an MP from south goes to north india and visits a house of another MP in the north . astonished by the house
the south MP asks"how did you build this house...its luxiorious "
north MP takes him to he terrace and shows him a bridge/flyover and says "see that flyover there i built my house while i was incharge of building that bridge ...so i was able to get enough funds for my house "
the south MP leaves and a few yrs later the northMP comes to stay in the south and visits the formes .
now he is marvelled by the sourthern MP's house .and he askes the SOUTH MP "how did you build this house " .
the south MP tales that northern MP to the terrace and tells him"do you see the flyover over there , i built my house while building that".......
the northMP looks shocked and replies"but there is no flyover there ......"
the south MP replies " you are right , but i told them i ll build a flyover there and built this house"

Back
Top Bottom