What's new

Pakistan officially inducts HQ 9 Air Defence system

Salaam

When you clearly define your capabilities, you also give out your limitations. That is why Pakistan chooses to mostly downplay and/or hide capabilities as much as possible. This way you are able to surprise your enemies.

In simple word PA has not revealed the true capabilities or version of system i,e Radars obtained and missile range, However along with anti ballistic capabilities it may also pose a serious challenge to semi stealth or fully stealthy jets.

Not impressed. How will this counter India's S-400s? That will cover most of Pakistani territory while Hq-9 will provide cover only over Pakistani territory.
why would it counter S-400 ? its mission is to create ~250 km aerial denial and 150 km kill zone, everything else is air force and ground forces mission to keep enemy away and occupied , but now Pakistan needs a Tor-M2 type short range system and a ~120 km system to fully protect it as it going to be target number 1

Had to open this thread out of frustration.
Pakistanis are so deep in their inferiority complex that they always downplay own country's capabilities.
With the new HQ-9P purchase which is most likely the HQ-9BE, people are sure it's some old junk from Chinese bone yard and not the latest export version.
The BE version has ABM capabilities and out of the usual Pakistani inferiority complex, nobody is discussing that.
So come on, take the risk, and discuss that.

I don't think it's any inferiority complex. I think your military likes to keep things on the down low. Low profile is smart and good for Pakistan. Also, I am almost sure this system is a B version. HQ9A is not that great of a system with only 100KM range. B was when they used the education learned from the Patriot into it. The only thing it has nearing S-300, is the ignition mechanism and search radars (even those are changed later to the Chinese AESA). So there is anti BM, CM, and smaller objects capability like the UAV's, etc.
So the HQ9P is equivalent to which version?

My little knowledge tells me there are clouds being formed over this product. It used the Russian search radar in the A series and Russian ignition model. However, the seeker and the system was designed based on a purchased Patriot from Israel. So outside of the two things mentioned, its roots come from the Western tech. Which is why it's considered better than the Russian systems. Lastly, the HQ9B is upgraded. The Pakistani military more than likely has purchased the B version, comparable in range with S-300 but with better and more precise tech and upgraded Radars.

Not impressed. How will this counter India's S-400s? That will cover most of Pakistani territory while Hq-9 will provide cover only over Pakistani territory.

It will cover some, but they're not going to have the system where it can be hit by Pakistani missiles. Likewise the job of such systems in for Pakistan is airspace denial and some more. Our systems will also be able to target over the border.

The HQ-19 is the true ABMS, which hopefully will join Pakistan in the future.
Yeah bro I hope the same.

HQ-9B (and the PA-customized version P) has some ABM capabilities, I suppose it can intercept low ballistics, or when BMs are at boost/terminal phases aka within atmosphere.

When it comes to mid-course interception, similar to low-orbit ASAT, it will likely be exo-atmospheric, hence HQ-19 (naval version HQ-26 on Type 055) is quite different from HQ-9B: tipped with KKV warhead, different homing systems, and naturally has larger booster to go exo-atmospheric. HQ-19 can cover LEO, that's where ICBMs operate. To target even higher orbits say in HEO or GEO (36,000 km), DN-2/3 will be used.

Also mid-course interception will employ additional infra, much of those are orbital based like infra-red early warning, satcom, tracking and such. These assets are operated by PLASSF, perhaps the least mentioned military branch, which administers all divisions/brigades in space warfare, electronics warfare and cyber warfare. Many observers believe PLASSF already has deep ties with PA/PAF on many programs over the years, I hope HQ-19 can be added to the list.

Last edited:
Look forward about the news to induct
CAMM-ER on Pakistani Land

Since it is already coming for Navy
(Inshallah)

Last edited:
Couple of Hisar addition to give it a stronger depth even Skyknight addition on top of it would be a savage move

I don't think it's any inferiority complex. I think your military likes to keep things on the down low. Low profile is smart and good for Pakistan. Also, I am almost sure this system is a B version. HQ9A is not that great of a system with only 100KM range. B was when they used the education learned from the Patriot into it. The only thing it has nearing S-300, is the ignition mechanism and search radars (even those are changed later to the Chinese AESA). So there is anti BM, CM, and smaller objects capability like the UAV's, etc.

My little knowledge tells me there are clouds being formed over this product. It used the Russian search radar in the A series and Russian ignition model. However, the seeker and the system was designed based on a purchased Patriot from Israel. So outside of the two things mentioned, its roots come from the Western tech. Which is why it's considered better than the Russian systems. Lastly, the HQ9B is upgraded. The Pakistani military more than likely has purchased the B version, comparable in range with S-300 but with better and more precise tech and upgraded Radars.

How can a active radar seeker with 2-way datalink (HQ9) desiganed base on a TVM seeker(Patriot PAC2)?It doesn't make sense,they are two totally differnt designs.

Last edited:
All three services have classified programmes, like the HQ9P, when ever "the powers that be" are willing to declare them, will always prove the point that General Ghafoor made after OP Swift Retort, "we will always surprise you, you will never surprise us".
India is getting beaten nowadays in Kashmir by freedom fighters. Indian SF suffered massive casualties. And they have again started to cry against Pakistan and maligning Pakistani SF for training them. Now Modi again is looking for a escape goat (and might again try to do sir g Kal strike) that's why General Bajwa played the trick to arrange the ceremony of HQ-9P induction to show him that not even in your wet dreams now Modi.

IAF fighters might get shot out of the sky within their own airspace by HQ-9P if they dare to threaten our crows and trees again. That's why their submarine was caught recently near Pakistani waters as they tried to explore those avenues too. Modi's try to call world leadership upon the matter of current Afghan Govt is also the part of the same plot, so his accomplices might become his mouthpiece and blame Taliban for the Indian military's beating in Kashmir.

That's why General Bajwa showed them HQ-9P model on camera similar to the incident when General Zia-ul-Haq threatened them with Nuclear arsenal if they tried to do silly mistake back then.

That's a very sensible post. I agree, I think the Chinese are ahead of the Russians in tech and the HQ series was initially derived from an Israeli sold Patriot unit the Chinese studied, just like the SD-10 tech was initially derived from Aspide. I'd be concerned about HQ-9B, C, D versions (not A) if I was flying anything but -35's or -22's. There is a saying about the S-300 and S-400 that you can fly in front of it all day in a decent jet and it won't detect you. You better drop some leaflets for visual identification by the operators as that would be faster.

KSA after Israel has become the second nation with probably the most robust AD/ABM system in place with many dozens of actual intercepts. This data then gets fed back to the manufacturer for next blocks to have more capability.
Russian radars had some issues. Don't know if thrt have resolved it yet. Issues were pointed out by Victor mirkovsky chief editor of fatherland magazine, that Pantsir have troubles in detecting slow moving small targets like UAVs and falsely tracking big birds as targets. He also pointed out that Pantsir performed poorly at Russian airbase in Syria, intercepting only 19% of the targets compared to Tor missile system with 80% success rate. Shortly after, his article was taken down in order not to ruin Pantsir's export market. Russia have a history of over exaggeration of its weapon systems capabilities.

But China has a unique advantage of incorporating the best of the west and the east, and make a unique weapon system with similar capabilities at affordable prices. And when militaries like Pakistan buy those systems it's the recognition of their effectiveness by itself as our military tend to do extensive trials before finalizing the order that too at the expense of the manufactures. And China is obviously well ahead in Radar tech from Russia and global leader in some of its missile techs (like BVRAAM, Anti ship ballistic and hypersonic missiles etc)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom