What's new

Pakistan officers taught anti-US courses: WikiLeaks

Looks like the lessons of hatered are not only taught in paksitani madarasa and schools but also at every institution.:disagree::disagree:

In case of India lessons of hatred are taught from the society to government level.

Just a question, mate. I'm curious as to whether the general Pakistan population were anti-US before the drone attacks came?

there has been a mixture of sentiments from the general public ever since I remember. As far back as I remember there was this Aimal Kasi issue, then there were sanctions and stuff.. Then came 9/11 which made most of the people against US... and then the drone stuff.. So the anger has always been increasing (apart from 2005 Earth-quick where people were sort of pleased)

The articles lacks specific facts and the words it uses are ambiguous, which leads me to believe that they are dubious allegations.

I'm not sure what "anti-US" means here. As soon as someone hears "anti-US" they think that people who are "anti-US" are all religious extremists and members of the Taliban.

Pakistan and US are technically allies, America has done much good for Pakistan, but the US has left Pakistan loose 3 times, as has been admitted by Hillary Clinton herself, so Pakistanis mistrust the US. Pakistan supported America's wars in the 1990s even when it was under sanctions by supporting Desert Storm, Black Hawk Down, and also the intervention in Yugoslavia.
From the perspective of Pakistan, China has had a good relationship with Pakistan for 60 years continuosly, so it is not surprising that Pakistanis would view China as a better ally.

I can't speak for Pakistanis nor for Americans, but I would like America and Pakistan to remain as allies, but that's something for the two governments to decide not for me.

1. (C) Summary: Pakistan’s National Defense University’s
curriculum is designed to foster national pride...

Their attitudes demonstrate why we should continue our
efforts to increase IMET opportunities, especially those
aimed at the generation of Pakistani military who were
ineligible for IMET during the sanctions years
. We should
also consider an exchange program of instructors to broaden
understanding of the U.S...

=====

6. (C) The Senior Course this year includes 135 classmates,
approximately 25 of whom are military officers from
Pakistan’s allies (including the U.S., Britain, Canada,
China, Islamic Countries, South Africa, Nigeria, and Libya)...

7. (C) ... Of the 135 Senior Course students, only two openly
drank alcohol...

Read the full cable here.
Please note that the entire cable can not be replicated here, only excerpts. This is in accordance with Forum Rules and a possible violation of rights. Click Here to read the related announcement.

So, the US admits that the US itself is partly responsible. The sanction years mentioned in the cables suggest little or no communication between military personnel on the training level.

I also found point 7 a bit funny. Not drinking alcohol is considered anti-US ??

Point 6 is even more ridiculous: what allies are they referring to??

There is a good number of foreign officers; who attend this institution.
There is always a good representation from USA and UK.

Do you really think, that they'd be teaching these courses like the thread starter is trying to paint ?

or may be Anne Peterson is trying to highlight that the local Officers have some misconceptions about USA which show in their lectures.

This is VERY VERY different from TEACHING an anti USA course.

In all defence colleges, there are foreign students.

There is a break in the common programme when the foreign students are sent on 'tours' of bases etc to familiarise them with the host countries equipment and tactics. During this break, lesson special to the host country students are taught without having foreign students in the class or the campus!

7. (C) ... Of the 135 Senior Course students, only two openly
drank alcohol...

I also found point 7 a bit funny. Not drinking alcohol is considered anti-US ??

Point 6 is even more ridiculous: what allies are they referring to??

Point 7 is not funny and it is not that not drinking is an anti US trait.

It is called 'personality profile'. The cables surely would have the names of those who drank openly. It helps later for various reasons. Why did the media state when Kiyani was taking over, that Kiyani was pro US? His profile that would have been recorded by the US officers entrusted to do so, as they would have found reasons and traits that indicated so.

Point 6 is not ridiculous. It indicates nations friendly to Pakistan because there would be also students from neutral countries.

... Point 6 is not ridiculous. It indicates nations friendly to Pakistan because there would be also students from neutral countries.

Good relations and allies are very different. It mentions countries like South Africa, Nigeria and Libya as Pakistan's allies. Changing words can distort the whole view.

Just a question, mate. I'm curious as to whether the general Pakistan population were anti-US before the drone attacks came?

yes we hate US before Dron attack

because US hurt many Islamic country like iraq and afganistan... We hate US........

The following topics may have come under discussion and seem most likely to be considered anti-US by the US:

1- Smiling Buddha in 1974:
No sanctions on India except a few restrictions.

2- US leaving Pakistan alone during the 90s:
The job was done and there no further need for Pak-US ties. The people of Pakistan naively expected better relations with the US and were badly disappointed.

3- Sanctions due to nuclear development:
Sanctions were placed on Pakistan and India with complete knowledge that Pakistan had no other choice left and that in 1974 India went largely unpunished.

Pakistan can not be expected to forget these events and must learn from it.

The Ambassador is just whining. If anyone refuses to swallow the official US govt. version of anything, they are anti-American.

This silly childish tantrum is so severe, even American citizens are not immune from its effects. Anyone who questions the US government is an unpatriotic 'terrist' sympathizer.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom