What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

Is the LY-80(N) the missile on the Type 054A/P?

1678076399705.png

The HQ-16B is said to be 5 meters long and 0.34 meters in diameter. Is that the same dimensions of the LY-80(N)? The HQ-16FE is an export approved model per the article and the designation of E for export. Also the design doesn’t add on a booster to achieve the range, so maybe it is the same size as the LY-80(N). It is said to be equivalent to the SM-2MR Block 3 (which is just short of 5 meters long and approx. 0.34 meters in diameter at a max range of 170 km). The upgrade was supposedly the fuel mix.

Is these dimensions are the same as the HQ-16FE (160 km), I hope the Type 054A/P at least has 12 of these longer range missiles.

v2-a5d938f5ebebc68299e6b3f9f2b63739_720w.webp

Last edited:
Is the LY-80(N) the missile on the Type 054A/P?

View attachment 919002

The HQ-16B is said to be 5 meters long and 0.34 meters in diameter. Is that the same dimensions of the LY-80(N)? The HQ-16FE is an export approved model per the article and the designation of E for export. Also the design doesn’t add on a booster to achieve the range, so maybe it is the same size as the LY-80(N). It is said to be equivalent to the SM-2MR Block 3 (which is just short of 5 meters long and approx. 0.34 meters in diameter at a max range of 170 km). The upgrade was supposedly the fuel mix.

Is these dimensions are the same as the HQ-16FE (160 km), I hope the Type 054A/P at least has 12 of these longer range missiles.

v2-a5d938f5ebebc68299e6b3f9f2b63739_720w.webp
Issue is that currently, in PLAN, only the LY-80 is in service (HQ-16A). When the B variant will come to naval service is unknown, let alone the F/FE variant. So doubt we will see these in PN any time soon. But i agree that PN needs more on these than the standard HQ-16A.

Why type 54ap only carry 4 ssm
The reason Type 54 have only 4 SSM in the slant launchers compared to 8 or 6 in other PN ships is because these are bigger, heavier and longer range missiles and perhaps only 4 can be accomodated given the weight and size.

HOWEVER, although only 4 SSM maybe visible to you in the slant launchers, the Type 54 ships have an advantage no previous PN ship ever had before. i.e. the VLS cells, 32 of them! These are also capable of firing SSM like the C-802 that previous PN ships carried in slant launchers.
Since you can now put C-802 in the VLS, therefore it makes sense to carry better and longer range missiles in the slant launchers, giving these ships the capability to strike at the enemy from a relatively safer distance.

The VLS will carry mostly air defense missiles but can also have a few SSM. Overall Type-54 SSM capability might be the best in PN, better than both F-22P and Babur class.

Last edited:
The reason Type 54 have only 4 SSM in the slant launchers compared to 8 or 6 in other PN ships is because these are bigger, heavier and longer range missiles and perhaps only 4 can be accomodated given the weight and size.

HOWEVER, although only 4 SSM maybe visible to you in the slant launchers, the Type 54 ships have an advantage no previous PN ship ever had before. i.e. the VLS cells, 32 of them! These are also capable of firing SSM like the C-802 that previous PN ships carried in slant launchers.
Since you can now put C-802 in the VLS, therefore it makes sense to carry better and longer range missiles in the slant launchers, giving these ships the capability to strike at the enemy from a relatively safer distance.

The VLS will carry mostly air defense missiles but can also have a few SSM. Overall Type-54 SSM capability might be the best in PN, better than both F-22P and Babur class.
Thanks

if all 32 cells vls is anti air occupied the SSM limited to 4, even each one of them is more lethal. and due to weight limitation it can only carry 4 ssm in slant position

Back
Top Bottom