What's new

Pakistan Navy has 2 new Swiftship corvettes on order

hmmm it's coming ppl
Article dated June 17th 2019
View attachment 578904

View attachment 578903

It is possible the order is for 2 Initial order and 2 follow up order for 4 Patrol Boats
Should we assume that these ships will be built in KSEW?
After all, once 4th Azmat class FACM will be delivered, there will not be any major construction project in KSEW as far as surface vessels are concerned.
I'm just throwing out a wild guess here, but I wonder if the PN is basically in the process of buying off the design rights of the Swift Corvette like they did with the Jinnah-class frigate.

@TOPGUN @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @Khafee @Tank131 @JamD
Wild Idea. How PN will be utalizing these vessel designs? As corvettes?

Turkish ships x 2 to be build at pak ship yard and perhaps more will follow as well , older tanker as it also need replacement later on

Should we assume that these ships will be built in KSEW?
After all, once 4th Azmat class FACM will be delivered, there will not be any major construction project in KSEW as far as surface vessels are concerned.

Wild Idea. How PN will be utalizing these vessel designs? As corvettes?
Yup. Swiftships designed the Swift Corvette for sea control, AShW and ASW.

It might not be that bad. You can abstract all of the subsystems -- i.e., make the engines, electronics, sensors, weapons, steel etc., non-US -- so there's no block there. It's literally the design rights/patents and expertise on customizing or configuring it. But if not, there are designers in Turkey, Ukraine, and South Africa who will sell us corvette designs no problem. However, it seems that's the direction the PN is heading.

Sticking on one type and company like Damen or China is not enough ? Or do the US boats offer something better in quality and performance ?

Sticking on one type and company like Damen or China is not enough ? Or do the US boats offer something better in quality and performance ?
I don't think it matters much with ship designs. Ultimately, the PN will source the core components -- e.g., propulsion, electronics, and weapons -- of all of its ships from one set of vendors. So, as an example, they'll probably use MTU CODAD across all frigates, including both the Type 054A/P and MILGEM, just as they're using the HQ-16 SAMs on both ships, and so on. Logistics isn't as much of an issue with systems as long as you configure them along similar lines.

I think with Swiftships, they seem to want to enter the Pakistani naval and maritime market, see this except as an example:

Karachi Shipyard Engineering Works Ltd has joined hands with USA based ships manufacturer M/s Swiftship for co-production of steel, Aluminium and fibre hull boards for Pakistan Navy, fisheries and commercial sector. The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between rear admiral Athar Saleem and Shehraze Shah on the third day of International Defence Exhibition and Seminar (IDEAS)-2018.

https://fp.brecorder.com/2018/11/20181130427471/
So, the idea of Swiftships either selling the design IP of the Swift Corvette to the PN -- or even designing a new corvette for the PN in Pakistan -- is a possibility I think. This is just my guess, but hey, as @cabatli_53 and @Tank131 will testify, my guesswork on a lot of things (e.g., MILGEM getting VLS) works out. It's just an issue of, 'is there enough evidence to conclude X is a possibility?' As I see it, the PN is (1) into buying ship designs now (it owns the IP of the Jinnah class frigate) and (2) apparently forming a deeper relationship with Swiftships and Damen Shipyards.

Now, the latter basically made a custom corvette design out of nowhere for the PN (this design isn't even listed on its product portfolio). So, it might be possible that the PN settled on the Damen Shipyards design and, with time, will buy it off so that KSEW (or Gwadar?) can manufacture it in numbers over the next few decades.

Well we will have to see , once 2-3 ships arrive just what kind of difference they make they are some where between a Corvette / Missile boat

• So far the Romanian Ship yard's production rate was fantastic , fast , efficient and quick for the Damen OPV project :big_boss:. Productivity & Speed need to be there which Romanian shipyard has shown

I was impressed with the speed and work done at Romanian Ship yard, hope our Karachi Shipyard can pick some pointer from it and finish up the 4th Azmat Missile Boat , it's been 3 years and still not finished

Last edited:
What KSEW is making rn ??
Screenshot_2019-09-26-07-16-21.png

Last time i saw a ship on that 3rd empty dock. Now there is no ship. It might be the OPV that Maritime inducted.
What KSEW is making rn ??
Screenshot_2019-09-26-07-16-21.png

@Quwa

Given the different vessel types that will enter service what roles will each play?

Eg is F22P going to be assigned general purpose duties and Type 54 air defence?

@Quwa

Given the different vessel types that will enter service what roles will each play?

Eg is F22P going to be assigned general purpose duties and Type 54 air defence?
I think the F-22P, Jinnah and 054A/P will be general purpose (incl. ASW), while the Damen corvettes & FAC(M) will focus on peacetime sea control, and in war, deploy Harba AShM/LACM.

I think the F-22P, Jinnah and 054A/P will be general purpose (incl. ASW), while the Damen corvettes & FAC(M) will focus on peacetime sea control, and in war, deploy Harba AShM/LACM.
F-22Ps will soon be undergoing MLU. Their main role will be ASW/ASuW(German Sonar-One of the best in the Region)
Type-054AP(Area Defence)
Jinnah class:ASW/ASuW
Damen/Swift Ships: Litorral Defence
FAC(M)s: LAM Strikes
However all the above mentioned platforms will be used for Regional Maritime Patrols to maintain forward posture and presence.

F-22Ps will soon be undergoing MLU. Their main role will be ASW/ASuW(German Sonar-One of the best in the Region)
Type-054AP(Area Defence)
Jinnah class:ASW/ASuW
Damen/Swift Ships: Litorral Defence
FAC(M)s: LAM Strikes
However all the above mentioned platforms will be used for Regional Maritime Patrols to maintain forward posture and presence.
Any idea if the PN got China to insert VLS large enough for long-range SAMs in the 054A/P?

Any idea if the PN got China to insert VLS large enough for long-range SAMs in the 054A/P?
Negative. For 054APs it was the Chinese who recommended PN to stick to the exact specifications of PLAN 054As due to continuous bickering by PN regarding F-22Ps where we opted for our own Specifications which ultimately didn't result in the best possible results. For LRAD we might eventually Opt for a larger displaced Vessel for Theatre Defence subject to Fiscal space available to PN as they cost much more sometimes much more than the Vessel and rest of its systems Itself.

Negative. For 054APs it was the Chinese who recommended PN to stick to the exact specifications of PLAN 054As due to continuous bickering by PN regarding F-22Ps where we opted for our own Specifications which ultimately didn't result in the best possible results. For LRAD we might eventually Opt for a larger displaced Vessel for Theatre Defence subject to Fiscal space available to PN as they cost much more sometimes much more than the Vessel and rest of its systems Itself.

some examples of the bad results?

Could you elaborate on the mods which PN requested which went bad? I am aware of major safety issues with the platofrm but it would be helpful, if possible to know what actually went on.
A

Back
Top Bottom