What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy ATR72 at Mönchengladbach Germany for conversion into a Sea Eagle

upload_2020-6-30_9-51-0.png

Observation
Windows

Specifically designed for airborne law enforcement, the window installation offers significant visibility improvement for observer personnel during surveillance missions.

ESM/ELINT
System

The system performs tactical surveillance with warning and self-protection capabilities. In addition, the ESM system provides accurate data for military intelligence (technical ELINT function).

Store Management
System

Weapon pylons including an aerodynamic frame, ejector release unit and spigot device providing rapid launch of a wide range of weapon types including torpedoes and missiles for several warfare scenarios.

AESA 360°
Multimode Radar

Features multi-domain capabilities with high performance sea and land surveillance through a wide swath, high resolution ground mapping, small and low speed ground target indication, and air-to-air surveillance, tracking and intercept modes.

EO/IR High Definition
System

Superior image stabilization, ultra-long range imaging performance, and true metadata embedded in the digital HD video. Features MWIR thermal imager, HD color and low-light cameras, as well as multiple laser payload options.

Line of Sight and Beyond
Line of Sight Datalink Capabilities

Line of Sight and Beyond Line of Sight Datalink Capabilities SATCOM system with the capability to send high-definition full motion video and sensor data from the action theater back to command authorities beyond the horizon. Additional datalink features may include AFAPD, Link 16, IDM, Link 22, JREAP, SADL, Link 11 and VMF.

AIS, IFF
and DF

Standard AIS capabilities fully implemented with the mission management system. DF operating on all frequency bands used for rescue missions, including emergency frequencies and channel 16 for the marine band.

Acoustic Processing
System (APS)

APS fully integrated into the aircraft’s mission management system. It can process active and passive acoustic data received from sonobuoys for detection, tracking, localization and classification of surface and sub-surface targets.

Sonobuoy
Launching System

Pneumatic powered sonobuoy launching system for maritime patrol and anti-submarine warfare applications. The launcher is electrically and functionally interfaced with the mission management system and reloadable in-flight. A, F and G-size sonobuoys can be supported.

Chaff and Flare
Dispensing System

The CFD system protects the asset from air-to-air and surface-to-air radar and heat-seeking missiles. The self-defense suite includes passive countermeasure capabilities. The system is interfaced with various electronic warfare sensors and controlled by the mission management system.

In flight Image of Pakistan's Sea Eagle.

RAS-SMM-RAS72-SE-Desktop@2x.jpg

Swordfish is the only option that would be suitable, unless we go the Chinese route. Don't think PN would want to put all of its eggs in one basket
It's tough matching the P-8I specifically due to it being a deep customization of the Boeing 737NG (i.e., internal bay), US-only sensors (i.e., not available for 3rd party programs), etc.

However, I'm sure the PN LRMPA will bring the necessary ASW, AShW, and ISR/ISTAR capabilities the PN (or most navies) would need. It won't disappoint. @PAR 5

I think the other obvious choice is to buy the P-8A as well. PN has not ruled it out and it fits neatly in the requirements set by the navy. Also since this program is still a decade or so away easily, given that we have a large and very capable fleet of P-3C Orions and decades of experience operating those, I see the PN requirement as a long term plan.

Only 4 countries operate P-8s and 3 others have ordered it. Of the 4 operators, 3 are USA, UK and Australia ... all are joined by the hip. India had to order it because of our P-3Cs actually and the lack of faith they had in their token Soviet era MPAs that even after the upgrade could be considered 2nd rate. P-8 being the only aircraft in production was the only choice they had. For South Korea that has ordered 6 P-8As, they have an upgraded fleet of 16 Orions ... so rest assured they wont be retiring all of those anytime soon either.

Now compare that list to the countries that still operate the P-3C and you will get the picture of how valid that aircraft still in for a long time to come. And lets be frank, we are talking about PN here...ones that happily would buy used Sea Kings in this day and age too. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if we bought more Orions from the US down the line as they just retired the last squadron in their service operating the P-3C. I for one at least am not counting the days till we get a new LRMPA anytime soon.

This is not our color scheme & other sensor details about the package can't be given but this baby has serious surveillance & targeting punch. The P8I is no match for it. The offensive capavlities in this baby are superb

P-8I excels in range and payload, this plays a big part in the anto-shipping role. Granted the RAS 72 seems formidable.

This is not our color scheme & other sensor details about the package can't be given but this baby has serious surveillance & targeting punch. The P8I is no match for it. The offensive capavlities in this baby are superb
I remember this US General comments .Its system vs sytem ,not jet vs jet or plane vs plane ,it is only a small variable comparing P8I (its a capable machine)

kind sir you need to upgrade your info.

P8I has 4 hours on station flight time

Sea eagle has +9.00 hours

If true that really is very strange, do you have a source for this?

ATR has a range of around 1,500km and 737 has a range of around 7,000km.

If true that really is very strange, do you have a source for this?

ATR has a range of around 1,500km and 737 has a range of around 7,000km.
Sir why is it strange? one is a jet engine other is a propeller driven jet engine takes more fulel. In submarine warfare you need a static time over a region not speed or maneuverability.

Sir why is it strange? one is a jet engine other is a propeller driven jet engine takes more fulel. In suvmarine warfare you need a static time over a region not speed or maneuverability.

OK, but you realise what you are saying is technically impossible right? You are aware a 737 has internal fuel of 25,000 litres and range of 7,000km and ATR-72 has internal fuel of 6,000 litres and range of 1,500km. Even with Jet engines (news are very fuel efficient) ATR-72 comes nowhere close to a 737. maybe you need to "upgrade" your information.

OK, but you realise what you are saying is technically impossible right? You are aware a 737 has internal fuel of 25,000 litres and range of 7,000km and ATR-72 has internal fuel of 6,000 litres and range of 1,500km. Even with Jet engines (news are very fuel efficient) ATR-72 comes nowhere close to a 737. maybe you need to "upgrade" your information.
Sir ATR has fuel capacity of 5000 not six thousand & range of 1538 km. The mission objective of both is Naval warfare. Ships & Submarines have very slow speed They can't go out of the range of any of the aircraft in given time.
When it come to tracking ATR will fly for more time & 737 will fly for lesser time. ATR will therefore track for a longer period. You are missing very big points here which are related to submarine warfare. You are not in commercial flights business here that you need range instead you need more flight time & slow speed over you target. which one gives you that.

That is why I never mentioned range but flight time that is what counts here.

Sir ATR has fuel capacity of 5000 not six thousand & range of 1538 km. The mission objective of both is Naval warfare. Ships & Submarines have very slow speed They can't go out of the range of any of the aircraft in given time.
When it come to tracking ATR will fly for more time & 737 will fly for lesser time. ATR will therefore track for a longer period. You are missing very big points here which are related to submarine warfare. You are not in commercial flights business here that you need range instead you need more flight time & slow speed over you target. which one gives you that.

That is why I never mentioned range but flight time that is what counts here.

Range can be approximately related to flight time, if one aircraft has almost 4 times the range of another there is no way on earth that the other can loiter on station. The CFM 56 on the 737 is extremely fuel efficient nd on low thrust can give a much much longer loitering time then the ATR and her PW100s considering the amount of fuel she can carry.

Any loitering for anti-sub warfare essentially means slow speed circuits around the area of interest, here a big fuel load is vital.

You are very very wrong here, any aviation expert will tell you this.

Why is India using P8I? cause P8I is better? wrong P8I is not better but India has a huge coast line they have more area to survival so they need P8I which gives range, where as all submarine has to do is stay put 4 hours to make sure the P8I goes home. where as for Sea eagle that same submarine would have to stay put for 9 hours, so which is better?

Range can be approximately related to flight time, if one aircraft has almost 4 times the range of another there is no way on earth that the other can loiter on station. The CFM 56 on the 737 is extremely fuel efficient nd on low thrust can give a much much longer loitering time then the ATR and her PW100s considering the amount of fuel she can carry.

Any loitering for anti-sub warfare essentially means slow speed circuits around the area of interest, here a big fuel load is vital.

You are very very wrong here, any aviation expert will tell you this.
Range can't be related to flight time.

The issue is naval not aviation.

Why is India using P8I? cause P8I is better? wrong P8I is not better but India has a huge coast line they have more area to survival so they need P8I which gives range, where as all submarine has to do is stay put 4 hours to make sure the P8I goes home. where as for Sea eagle that same submarine would have to stay put for 9 hours, so which is better?

Range can't be related to flight time.

The issue is naval not aviation.

You are comepletly wrong here, ask anyone who has anything to do with naval aviation. There is no way a ATR-72 has a longer loiter time then a P-8. No way. This is like saying black is white and white is black.

You made a big mistake and now you simply do not have the modesty to admit it. Anyone on this forum will confirm I am right.

Back
Top Bottom