What's new

Pakistan - National Security Policy

And who will ensure the implementation and sustainment of this policy irrespective of the political party in power. I know establishment plays it's part but establishment mostly focuses inward, and leaves outward facing policies on cruise control, only reacting to changing dynamics.
PMLn is saying it's a copy paste of Thier policies and they'll be better able to work on these policies than PTI
So at this they atleast "agree" with it but knowing the clueless political class of Pakistan
I am not sure if by agreement they mean they'll actually follow it
np90q7mlmnb81.jpg

Please look at the content not NSA's middle finger 😁
And people forget these policies were made by consultation with generals, politicians, proffesors, economist etc
So not coming out of thin air, PMLn, PPP were probably also consulted in some ways

Last edited:
Excellent Nation Security Policy Document.... Well written with ambitious goals and targets

However.... It's probably best suited for a normal country with a credible accountable reliable Legal System and an educated population...

We have a population of crazies and jahils and mafia supported by a corrupt system including the Judiciary... how are you going implement this???

Need to educate the population and literacy rate before any of this is possible!

Our main security risk is our own jail population. Greed and modalities les group of people in our rank. It was pland by ppp pmln. As they took away education from people.educated people ask questions. So by pre-planned way they took away education from normal person. Now after years it became a security risk.

Nice initiative , it is important to have 1 goal , and objective so all institutes are aligned Government and Military /Navy / Airforce

Cuts out the interference game by third parties with individual meetings with smaller players locally and playing the manipulation game

Our main security risk is our own jail population. Greed and modalities les group of people in our rank. It was pland by ppp pmln. As they took away education from people.educated people ask questions. So by pre-planned way they took away education from normal person. Now after years it became a security risk.
yep national security policy should basically be educational policy reforms (where IK is not doing much-SNC is not it, not even close, he could have done something similar to Sehat card (imo ditch sehat card and invest in education instead of making people welfare junkies)- 2000 pkr voucher for every child per month so Private schools get an incentive to open schools everywhere while for kids its free or at least subsidized)
if you are not educated your people will always suffer from different kind of issues
be it economic, easily falling into propaganda campaigns, skills development etc etc
this is what he talking about too (and IK should really stop with this dumb anti-English rhetoric- its counter productive and stupid)

Last edited:
Beautiful

Big 3 covered
China - Russia - Turkey
all covered

Also covered Saudi Arabia and G.C.C

European Union Covered important region

We also have good relations with USA and British, long standing so every one is happy
Policy has a section dedicated to USA and British which also highlights importance of existing ties

1642387419845.png

1642387350917.png

Relations with Europe ? We are growing relations with European Countries like Turkey makes sense
:turkey:

1642387630243.png

UK and European Union should have created seperate paragraph as UK is not in European Union but for future

1642387935960.png

USA , of course we are to focus on expanding ties beyond narrow focus on counter terrorism

1642388138635.png

Last edited:
1642425383977.png

January 17, 2022

PAKISTAN’S freshly unveiled National Security Policy has broadened the traditional concept and included economic stability as a key component. Prepared by the National Security Division led by National Security Advisor Dr Moeed Yusuf, the report provides a comprehensive framework for looking at national security by making it more holistic and inclusive. By bringing geoeconomics into the centre of the concept, the NSP also charts a clear vision for policymaking at the national level.

Prime Minister Imran Khan launched the report in Islamabad and underscored that a country cannot be secure without having a sound economy. The NSP has done well to distinguish between traditional security — represented by defence, territorial integrity, diplomacy — and non-traditional security that includes the country’s economic health and the well-being of its citizens.
“The country’s security imperatives in the next decade will be driven by the need to realise its economic potential while ensuring national cohesion, territorial integrity, internal security, and citizen welfare,” states the report.
The expanded definition of national security is a welcome one. For too long have narrow national security concerns defined the priorities of the country. Such a narrow focus on traditional aspects of national security has led to resources being skewed in favour of these areas at the expense of all others. By positioning citizen’s welfare at the core of the new concept, the NSP acknowledges that only a paradigm shift in thinking among the decision-makers can lead to re-formatting of priorities.

The NSP is vague in many areas but an umbrella document such as this one is not expected to deliver on details. It is supposed to provide a broad framework and a clear direction for policymaking and guide decision makers in picking the right choices for resource allocation. The NSP has taken years to compile but as a living document that can evolve with time, it is a very useful addition to the state’s policy toolkit. It should prod the leaders to take a closer look at the requirements of geoeconomics and especially when they run counter to the traditional thinking on hard security matters.

The issue of trade with India may provide a test case. Geoeconomics may require Pakistan to relook at the decision of not trading with India when increased trade could deliver tremendous benefits. There should be a debate on how Pakistan can delink this issue with political problems with India that remain intractable. If the NSP can trigger such strategic re-evaluation of national priorities, it would have served a very useful purpose.

Now that the report has been launched, it should be debated threadbare in parliament. It requires a buy-in from all stakeholders and therefore the government should provide full opportunity to the opposition to dissect it and provide inputs that may be included in the report at some point.

Published in Dawn, January 17th, 2022

yep national security policy should basically be educational policy reforms (where IK is not doing much-SNC is not it, not even close, he could have done something similar to Sehat card (imo ditch sehat card and invest in education instead of making people welfare junkies)- 2000 pkr voucher for every child per month so Private schools get an incentive to open schools everywhere while for kids its free or at least subsidized)
if you are not educated your people will always suffer from different kind of issues
be it economic, easily falling into propaganda campaigns, skills development etc etc
this is what he talking about too (and IK should really stop with this dumb anti-English rhetoric- its counter productive and stupid)
Ik is doing everything in his capacity. But this system dont let him do. They blackmail him day night. He is Presidential type of person. If he was president of country in presidential system he could have done much more.

Ik is doing everything in his capacity. But this system dont let him do. They blackmail him day night. He is Presidential type of person. If he was president of country in presidential system he could have done much more.
I mean you don't need to be a president to bring seat card version thing for education

Cut sehat card and invest in your future I say
A skilled, educated workforce will eventually pay back that investment multiple times over compared to welfare for someone with health issues

I mean you don't need to be a president to bring seat card version thing for education

Cut sehat card and invest in your future I say
A skilled, educated workforce will eventually pay back that investment multiple times over compared to welfare for someone with health issues
I tell you one of my aunt she has Cancer in Pakistan and I always send money to her.you know since the day she got medical card from government now she's getting free test and government pay moneyfor her treatment. It reduces my burden. A poor family getting this much help makes lots of difference

I tell you one of my aunt she has Cancer in Pakistan and I always send money to her.you know since the day she got medical card from government now she's getting free test and government pay moneyfor her treatment. It reduces my burden. A poor family getting this much help makes lots of difference
Yes it makes a difference but put emotional angle aside

If you have 10 PKR (for eg) would you rather invest that money into something that'll pay you back after 10 years with 100 PKR

Or invest that 10 PKR into luxuries (yes this is is luxury as even devoloped countries don't do that because its expensive- for a poor country like ours this is a luxury we can I'll afford)

Rather take that money and invest in our human resources

If you have 10 PKR (for eg) would you rather invest that money into something that'll pay you back after 10 years with 100 PKR

Or invest that 10 PKR into luxuries (yes this is is luxury as even devoloped countries don't do that because its expensive- for a poor country like ours this is a luxury we can I'll afford)

Do you have any statistics on where this funding is derived from, and how much gets spent?

And I agree with you, we are really in no position at all to offer things like this. Honestly, as a nation, I don't think you can expect to become highly wealthy without sacrifices.

Especially loans, they should exclusively be used in things which exclusively derive economical benefit.

This money would be better spent increasing the standard of education, building more schools, and getting poorer families free education.

I agree with what you saying but I take it other way around he gave us uni near gujar khan. Construction is going on. I used to awake up early morning around 4 o clock n used to take bus for rawalpindi. 3 hours journey used to make me tired. It was hard for me and students like me to have tension free study. Problem is when he took office he did not had enough money to pay for paper which pm office uses. Chinese company which provides the paper they refused to provide paper and they said from where will you pay the money. I mean this man done amazing job. He returned around 38 billions dollars plus he had purchased lost of new weapon systems for Pakistan defense. He is doing everything which is possible with in Pakistani resources. We have to give him chance

The National Security Policy has elicited a wide spectrum of responses from the business community

Afshan Subohi
January 24, 2022

ADVISING the formulators rather politely to broaden the ownership of the new security policy by taking all political parties on board, big business in Pakistan believes placing the economy at the core of the security doctrine can generate the much-needed thrust for growth and sustainable development.

A tier below, the local chambers, representing medium-scale businesses and traders, seem to resent their exclusion from the consultative process that spanned multiple years before the finalisation of the National Security Policy (NSP).

On its part, the micro-segment, mostly comprising unregistered entities, finds itself too overwhelmed by survival challenges to care about what it considers a remote development with no direct bearing on it or its future.

Experts on the two extremes of the political spectrum either hail the new security policy as a ‘game-changer’ or dismiss it as ‘juvenile and contradictory’. Those in the middle describe the document variably as ‘comprehensive’, ‘verbose’, ‘repetitive’ and ‘wishful’. Leaders of opposition parties, when contacted, were reluctant to express their opinion on record without clarifying if they had been so advised by their respective parties or they themselves preferred it that way.

The National Security Policy has elicited a wide spectrum of responses from the business community

Ehsan Malik, CEO of the Pakistan Business Council (PBC), the elite forum of the country’s most successful companies, believes that the section on the economy in NSP was informed by PBC’s agenda. “Placing economic stability and growth as the centre-piece of national security is a welcome step. The PBC was consulted on the importance of employment creation, value-added exports, import substitution and the need to formalise the economy by broadening the tax base. These are the pillars of PBC’s ‘Make-in-Pakistan’ thrust. It is pleasing to see them incorporated in the NSP”.

Talking to Dawn, he also mentioned the recent PBC event in Islamabad where the elements of economic security were discussed with government representatives and development partners. “We stressed the need for all the parties to adopt a Charter of Economy for socio-economic development. Pakistan lags behind others in South Asia in virtually all key measures. We hope that the NSP will get a cross-party buy-in.”

The Overseas Investors Chamber of Commerce and Industry is said to be deliberating on the contents of NSP and its implications before formally taking a position. Secretary-General M. Abdul Aleem, on his part, was impressed by the concept of economic security that he thought in this day and age was essential besides territorial security. “We are pleased that NSP highlights the need for sustainable and consistent economic policies for investment in intellectual capital and innovation which is linked to our focus on intellectual property rights in Pakistan.

“We hope that it will lead to fresh thinking in the relevant forums on regional trade, greater integration with the global economy and more interaction at international forums”.

He praised comprehensive identification of the key segments for improving agricultural and industrial productivity going forward to leverage the economic potential of Pakistan by focussing on technical education and artificial intelligence (AI). In his opinion, NSP will boost the confidence of the existing and potential foreign investors.

Several representatives of local chambers lamented about not having been consulted. “No, we were not in the loop during the formulation process and need time to discuss the matter in our circles to understand what the NSP means for us,” a former president of the Federation of Pakistan Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FPCCI) responded rather bitterly to Dawn’s request for comments.

Majyd Aziz, former president of the Employers Federation, was happy with what he termed a ‘holistic approach’. However, he was a little sceptical over its execution. “The litmus test will be NSP’s implementation. A mechanism has to be evolved to track, monitor and evaluate the progress, or the good work will be lost. There is a need to revisit the current economic policies to align them with the NSP.”

Earlier this month, NSP 2022-26 was announced. The 48-page document seems to be based on the vision of Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Bajwa’s that he had shared soon after assuming the command back in 2017.

At a seminar jointly organised by the Inter-Services Public Relation (ISPR) and the FPCCI in Karachi, he had spoken about setting economic priorities straight and had hammered the need to broaden the tax base, establish fiscal discipline and ensure consistency in economic policies.

He had informed the audience, which comprised, among others, top-tier business and military leadership, that the national economy had always been high on the agenda of the National Security Council (NSC) meetings.

The NSP, which claims to be citizen-centric, has not included priority actions and implementation framework and has cited reasons for the exclusion.

The policy merges what it calls traditional (defence, territorial integrity, internal security and foreign policy) and non-traditional (economic health and citizen’s wellbeing) elements. It states: “The ultimate purpose of national security must be to ensure citizens’ safety, security, dignity and prosperity. The national security framework presented in this document conceptualises the elements of policy necessary to achieve … The country’s security imperatives in the next decade will be driven by the need to realise its economic potential while ensuring national cohesion, territorial integrity, internal security and citizen welfare.”

Its vision is to “… keep economic security at the core, and judiciously transfer the dividends of a strong economy to further strengthen our defence and human security”.

A political observer critical of the NSP believed that the policy was explicitly about giving a fresh orientation to all sectors of the economy and segments of social life in the country “to better serve the security establishment”. He challenged the legality of a key policy drafted without parliamentary oversight in a democratic system.

Expressing doubts over claims of public consultation, he drew attention toward the exclusion of the Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE), the premier economic research body of the government, from the entire process.

Published in Dawn, The Business and Finance Weekly, January 24th, 2022

Back
Top Bottom