What's new

Pakistan Mobile Broadband Speeds Faster Than India's

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Haq's Musings: Pakistan's Mobile Internet Speed of 1.5 MBPS Beats India's 1.3M BPS

Even before 3G and 4G roll-outs, Pakistan's mobile data users enjoy an average bandwidth of 1.5 Mbits/sec and peak bandwidth of 14.7 Mbits/sec, according to a report published by Akamai Technologies, Inc. The Akamai data includes usage fromsmartphones, tablets, computers, and other devices that connect to the Internet through mobile network providers. The only mobile broadband option available to users in Pakistan has so far been PTCL's EVO.

Results of Google-sponsored Survey in Pakistan Source: Express Tribune

Akamai Technologies, the creator of this report, operates an Internet content delivery network headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Akamai's network is one of the world's largest distributed-computing platforms, responsible for serving between 15 and 30 percent of all web traffic around the world.

Mobile Broadband Speeds. Source: Akamai

Akamai report ranks 16 countries in Asia by mobile Internet speeds. South Korea tops the list with average 14.7 Mbits/sec and 41.3 Mbits/sec peak. Vietnam is at the bottom with 1.1 Mbits/sec average and 6.5 Mbits/sec peak. India ranks second from bottom with 1.3 Mbps average and 8.7 Mbps peak.

With 3G and 4G roll-outs currently underway in Pakistan by multiple carriers, companies like Zong are talking about delivering speeds of up to 42 Mbps while other companies are offering 3G speeds of up to 21 Mbps. Even if they fall short, I expect that the average mobile broadband speeds in Pakistan should still be lot faster than what's available in the country today.

Haq's Musings: Pakistan's Mobile Internet Speed of 1.5 MBPS Beats India's 1.3M BPS

Even before 3G and 4G roll-outs, Pakistan's mobile data users enjoy an average bandwidth of 1.5 Mbits/sec and peak bandwidth of 14.7 Mbits/sec, according to a report published by Akamai Technologies, Inc. The Akamai data includes usage fromsmartphones, tablets, computers, and other devices that connect to the Internet through mobile network providers. The only mobile broadband option available to users in Pakistan has so far been PTCL's EVO.

Akamai Technologies, the creator of this report, operates an Internet content delivery network headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Akamai's network is one of the world's largest distributed-computing platforms, responsible for serving between 15 and 30 percent of all web traffic around the world.

Akamai report ranks 16 countries in Asia by mobile Internet speeds. South Korea tops the list with average 14.7 Mbits/sec and 41.3 Mbits/sec peak. Vietnam is at the bottom with 1.1 Mbits/sec average and 6.5 Mbits/sec peak. India ranks second from bottom with 1.3 Mbps average and 8.7 Mbps peak.

With 3G and 4G roll-outs currently underway in Pakistan by multiple carriers, companies like Zong are talking about delivering speeds of up to 42 Mbps while other companies are offering 3G speeds of up to 21 Mbps. Even if they fall short, I expect that the average mobile broadband speeds in Pakistan should still be lot faster than what's available in the country today.

You really love to do the d**k measuring contest..
I just want to point out that India has many users of mobile, a lot of them are in remote villages and they primary use phone for calling purpose. The connectivity in remote villages are not that great and this number is definitely coming from an average. So I am not surprise that average will go down if you consider the user base. However if you do apple to apple comparison there might be a difference.

Additionally there is no date provided on the article on when the comparison was done, it could also be a dated report. A friend of mine was in India and traveled extensively including villages and he was able to do face time with me everyday.

India has been ranked the lowest in terms of averageInternet speeds within Asia by a new study which has revealed the mean speed to be 1.7 Megabits per second (Mbps). The global average is 3.9Mbps which shows how far behind India is lagging in this department.

From the Asia-Pacific region, a total of 14 countrieswere chosen for this Internet speed study, and India was eventually found to be at the last spot at the end of it. Another interesting bit that has come out is that India’s average peak connection speed is said to have declined by 1.5% in the first quarter of this year.

http://www.mobiletor.com/112558/india-lowest-average-internet-speed-whole-asia/

Average number of users using 3G is still pretty less. This just the start , not enough data to have a real comparison...

Average number of users using 3G is still pretty less. This just the start , not enough data to have a real comparison...

This data for Pakistan is based on EVO. It predates 3G and 4G roll-out which is just starting to happen now and speeds should now be faster with it.

India's situation is really pathetic in this case........
We boast about the number of net users, which is actually HUGE, percentage wise..........BUT most of them are on 'Narrowband'.
Common people cannot afford Broadband/3G due to their high price............3G service is not even available in all places.......
They have launched 4G(in very few places)......but haven't brought down the price of 3G.........they are giving 4G at the price of 3G but cannot effing understand that, if people cannot afford 3G how will they be able to afford 4G at the same price......LOL

Last edited:
India is a huge country with a lot of people to give coverage to. They will catch up but it takes time.

My phone losses 3G signal inside my room then why should pay for expensive 3G service?

And the point being? I mean the only point of this whole post seems "My D**k is bigger than yours".

It's not like Pakistanis can watch YouTube videos in HD with that extra 0.2 Mbps and Indians are stuck @ 480p :lol:

India has one of the largest Internet users in the World. India has bypassed Japan to become the world’s third largest Internet user after China and the United States, and its users are significantly younger than those of other emerging economies.And we have nearly 74 million Internet users.
Speed might be good in Pakistan initially due to the unconsumed Network Resources but surely, you would see a decline in the rate during peak hours. Technically, all of this happens because of Quality of Service (QoS) which is normally a Best Effort Mechanism for Internet Traffic.
You might have seen Ads claiming speed UP TO x Mbps. That "UP TO" has a definite meaning in the Network World.:-)

It can be true. 3G charges(for data) is horribly overpriced at $4.2 for 1 GB. landline broadband network of BSNL was purposefully destroyed in many parts of the country(Kerala). I can surely say, back in 2004 or 2005 Broadband was available(BSNL) which was cheaper and good speeds also. now, this is not true. even BSNL scuks in speeds. It's like we have internet ration in India. I will rather have a good Biryani than spending 250 rupees for 1GB!(Idea, Vodafone, Airtel etc etc). Union government must as proclaimed make sure Internet deemed a "necessary service", must come cheap also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom