What's new

Pakistan may acquire 'air defence system' from Thales

Gryphon

Reaction score
Excerpt from The Sunday Guardian:

The exhibition was organised by the Defence Export Promotion Organization (DEPO), which has been established by the Government of Pakistan as a facilitation agency for all customer inquiries and to coordinate the export of high quality defence products and services.

Sources said that Thales, which is one of the major contributors to India’s demand for arms and related technologies, showcased its equipment related to air defence systems, naval ships and submarines and naval equipment.

Sources also stated that an “in-principle” deal was also approved between the Pakistan government and Thales to provide air defence system to Pakistan, which will be designed keeping the “India threat” in mind.

Last edited:
HIGHLY MOBILE MULTI-WEAPON AIR DEFENCE SYSTEMFOR MECHANIZED BRIGADE PROTECTION
RAPIDFire combines the CONTROLMaster 60 surveillance radar with the CONTROLViewcommand and control module.

RAPIDFire is adapted to both vital assets and fixed points defence, as well as mobile troops or convoys protection missions.

This mobile, multi-role weapon system is designed to respond to the new threats being encountered by armed forces today and in particular the low cost targets which can attack in swarms and can saturate conventional missile defences.

RAPIDFire benefits from 40 years of Thales’ background experience in field proven Weapon Systems for French and overseas Armed Forces.

With its powerful antiaircraft gun, high performance 3D radar and versatile C2 module, RAPIDFire is optimized to defeat all types of air threats including Fighter Ground Attack (FGA), helicopters or Unmanned Air Vehicles (UAV) and cruise missiles or precision guided munitions.

The RAPIDFire system has also been designed to enable firing of the STARStreak missile system, a Very Short Range Air Defence missile system with a speed in excess of Mach 3 and a range of around 7km. The combination of six STARStreak missiles and the latest generation 40mm cased telescope ammunition ensure both precision attack and high firepower. Optronic sensors have been integrated directly into the turret thereby ensuring that the RAPIDFire can operate autonomously if required. Using various types of ammunitions,RAPIDFire can also be used against ground targets, including armoured platforms, to ensure the self protection of the system.

Key Missions

• Multi-weapons: missiles & guns : The Starstreak missiles efficiency combined with the power of a 40mm gun calibre
  • Multi-role : 40 mm gun has both air and ground defence capabilities
  • Fast into action
  • Precision and high firepower
  • Full autonomy
  • Improved Survivability
  • The Starstreak missiles efficiency combined with the power of a 40mm gun caliber

Crotale NG escadron defense

crotale_NG_escadron_defense_sol-air_Tursan_France_French_military_parade_14_juillet_july_2013_defile_militaire_bastille_day_001.jpg

Starstreak Anti-Aircraft Guided Missile System a low-level short range air Defence

Starstreak%2BAnti-Aircraft%2BGuided%2BMissile%2BSystem%2Ba%2Blow-level%2Bshort%2Brange%2Bair%2Bdefence%2B%2528SHORAD%2529%2Bsystem..jpg

Thales Rapid Defender

rapiddefender.jpg

SAMP/T short-range air defence systems, Aster 30 (Range 80 Km)

IMG_9083.jpg

MBDA_showcases_new_air_defense_missile_systems_at_MSPO_2014_640_002.jpg

I really hope we get Aster 30

aster_30_battery_by_dave_llamaman-da6kj5o.png

SAMP_T_ground-to-Air_missile_defense_System_battery_unit_Italy_Italian_Army_001.jpg

thats debatable. PA AD is notorious, and RB-70 still has a lot of juice left. In the future perhaps, but the target market should be Mistral users.
I would interpret it in a negative way, because for the most part it is still focused on the direct threat without considering that more and more stand-off cluster weapons systems being integrated next door mean that anything but the HQ-16 would be effective.

Interesting development however remains to be seen what we will get , Rapid fire seemed like a lovely idea

maxresdefault.jpg

Nice addition

Last edited:
I really hope we get Aster 30
Altitude of 20 km means it can engage all strike aircraft of IAF posing danger to armoured forces. Against aircraft targets flying at altitudes above 3 km, the maximum range of the Aster 30 is 100 km.

This means an armoured formation can easily function in a radius of 75-100 km.

I think it could be either star streak or Aster. Pakistan was considering Aster for sometime now as far as what I know so let see.

It is very important for PD to strengthen its Air Defence in whatever way possible. Pakistan's air defence is weak & efforts should be made to acquire modern & latest technology of air defence which is offered in the market.

I would interpret it in a negative way, because for the most part it is still focused on the direct threat without considering that more and more stand-off cluster weapons systems being integrated next door mean that anything but the HQ-16 would be effective.

Hi,

You are getting smarter with age.

I think it could be either star streak or Aster. Pakistan was considering Aster for sometime now as far as what I know so let see.
Bro that's two extreme ends of the equation. It's going to depend on exactly who - i.e. Army, Air Force, or Navy - is talking to Thales.

While not perfect, Pakistan's overland air defence coverage is steadily taking shape thanks to the HQ-16, which could potentially even be scaled up to the HQ-16B for high-medium/low-long-range coverage.

On the other hand, there's no modern air defence system in place at sea, which (in the absence of constant fighter coverage) puts our submarines at risk of Indian Poseidon MPAs monitoring (and possibly even attacking) from above.

The Thales SMART-S Mk2 and MBDA CAMM would be mightily helpful at sea. Granted, the CAMM and Aster-30 aren't Thales products, but Thales is a lead contractor of sorts too when given the task to construct an air defence system (i.e. it'd hand jobs out to MBDA or Raytheon, depending on your selection).

Back
Top Bottom